Solve the Dirac Equation: Unraveling Anticommutator Mystery

In summary, the Dirac equation can be simplified to [1/2{\gamma^{\mu}, \gamma^{\nu}}\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} + m^{2}]\Psi = 0, with the middle term being equal to -2m^2*psi. The 1/2 factor arises from adding the commutator and using the Dirac equation to simplify.
raintrek
[SOLVED] The Dirac Equation

I'm trying to understand the following property of the Dirac equation:

[tex](i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)\Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

Acting twice with [tex](i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)[/tex]:

[tex](i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)^{2} \Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

[tex] = [ - \gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} - 2im\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} + m^{2}]\Psi = 0[/tex]

But then somehow the book jumps to this step:

[tex] = [ 1/2 \left{\{\gamma^{\mu}, \gamma^{\nu}\right}\} \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} + m^{2}]\Psi = 0[/tex]

And I have no idea how it got there! I understand the { } denote an anticommutator, but I just can't see how the factor of 1/2 has appeared, where the minus has gone and where the middle term has gone. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \partial_\mu \partial _\nu=\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \partial _\nu[/tex]. Add those and divide by two, to get the anticommutator. Let the middle term act on [tex]\Psi[/tex] and use the dirac equation to see where it has gone. The minus will become an overall minus once you do all of this.

Ah, I understand now why the commutator arises, thanks Dick. However, I'm still confused about the middle term business. If I understand you right, you're saying that:

[tex](-2im\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu})\Psi[/tex]

is analagous to:

[tex](i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)\Psi = 0[/tex]

and hence should disappear? I don't quite understand that part...

It doesn't disappear. It's equal to -2m^2*psi. Do you see why?

^ Ah! Got it, [tex]i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} = m[/tex] from the original eq. Yes, I see now! Thanks so much, Dick!

What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, in relativistic quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s.

Why is solving the Dirac equation important?

Solving the Dirac equation is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of fundamental particles, such as electrons, in high-energy and high-speed situations. It also provides a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and relativity.

What is the "anticommutator mystery" in the Dirac equation?

The "anticommutator mystery" refers to the fact that the Dirac equation contains a term involving anticommutators, which are mathematical operations that reverse the order of multiplication. This term was initially puzzling to scientists and required further analysis to fully understand its significance.

How was the "anticommutator mystery" in the Dirac equation solved?

The "anticommutator mystery" was solved by using mathematical techniques such as the operator product expansion and the Feynman diagram approach. These techniques allowed scientists to better understand the role of anticommutators in the Dirac equation and how they contribute to the overall behavior of fermions.

What are the implications of solving the Dirac equation?

Solving the Dirac equation has significant implications for both theoretical and practical applications. It has helped us gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and has also led to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and particle physics. Additionally, it has allowed us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in high-energy situations, which can be tested through experiments and observations.