Proving Even Parity for this Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation properties of the derivative operator under parity, with the conclusion that the correct transformation is ##\partial_\mu\mapsto\partial^\mu##.
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
Prove that
$$\bar { \psi } ( x ) \gamma ^ { \mu } \partial _ { \mu } \psi ( x )$$
has even parity for ##\gamma^\mu## a set of matrices satisfying the Clifford algebra and ##\psi## a bispinor (an element that transforms under the ##(\frac{1}{2},0)\oplus (0,\frac{1}{2} )## representation of the Lorentz group) and ##\bar\psi=\psi^\dagger\gamma^0## the adjoint spinor.
Relevant Equations
Not entirely sure but I think if we write ##\psi## in terms of left/right-handed Wely spinors the parity operation is given by
##\psi(x)\longmapsto \psi'(x')=\gamma^0\psi(x).##
My idea was straight forward calculation:
$$\begin{align*}\bar { \psi }' ( x' ) \gamma ^ { \mu } \partial _ { \mu }' \psi ( x' ) &= \psi^\dagger\gamma^{0\dagger}\gamma^0\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu'\gamma^0\psi = \bar\psi\underbrace{\gamma^0\gamma^\mu\gamma^0}_{=\gamma^{\mu\dagger}=-\gamma^\mu} \partial_\mu'\psi = - \bar\psi\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu'\psi\\
&\overset{!}{=}\bar { \psi } ( x ) \gamma ^ { \mu } \partial _ { \mu } \psi ( x ) .\end{align*}$$
For this to be true the parity should therefore transform ##\partial_\mu\mapsto -\partial_\mu## which doesn't really make sense to me (I can't see why ##\partial_0## should pick up a sign under parity).. I found in a post here on physics formus (I sadly can't find the link right now) that ##\partial_\mu\mapsto\partial^\mu## under parity, which honestly confused me completely...

I assume that I'm doing something completely wrong, but I just don't really see what...

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct transformation is indeed ##\partial_\mu\mapsto\partial^\mu##. This is the natural result when you consider that the components of the four-vector ##\partial^\mu## transform as the components of a contravariant vector, while the components of the four-vector ##\partial_\mu## transform as the components of a covariant vector. Under a parity transformation, the contravariant components of a four-vector are simply exchanged with the covariant components, so we have ##\partial^\mu\mapsto\partial_\mu## and ##\partial_\mu\mapsto\partial^\mu##.

1. What is the concept of even parity?

Even parity is a property of a binary number that indicates whether the number of 1s in the binary representation is even or odd. A binary number with an even number of 1s has even parity, while a binary number with an odd number of 1s has odd parity.

2. Why is it important to prove even parity for this expression?

Proving even parity for an expression is important because it ensures that the expression follows the rules of binary arithmetic and can be reliably used in digital systems. It also helps to detect and correct any errors that may occur during data transmission.

3. How is even parity proven for an expression?

To prove even parity for an expression, we need to perform a parity check by counting the number of 1s in the binary representation of the expression. If the number of 1s is even, the expression has even parity. If the number of 1s is odd, the expression has odd parity.

4. What are the possible outcomes of proving even parity for an expression?

The possible outcomes of proving even parity for an expression are either even parity or odd parity. If the expression has even parity, it means that the number of 1s in its binary representation is even, and if it has odd parity, the number of 1s is odd.

5. Can even parity be used for expressions with non-binary inputs?

No, even parity can only be used for binary inputs. It is a property that is specific to binary numbers and cannot be applied to expressions with non-binary inputs. However, other forms of parity, such as odd parity and checksums, can be used for non-binary inputs.