Show that two vectors are a basis of a subspace

In summary, to show that (1,-1,0) and (0,1,-1) are a basis for the subspace V={(x,y,z) \in R3: x+y+z=0}, we must prove that they are linearly independent and span V. To show linear independence, we demonstrate that the zero vector can only be expressed as a combination of a=0 and b=0. To show they span V, we must show that for any (x,y,z) with x+y+z=0, we can find a and b such that a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1) = (x,y,z). This is done by setting a=x, b
reeeky2001
Question: In R3, show that (1,-1,0) and (0,1,-1) are a basis for the subspace V={(x,y,z) [tex]\in[/tex] R3: x+y+z=0}

Attempt: By def of a basis, the vectors (1) must be linearly independent and (2) must span V.

1. For LI, show that if a(1,-1,0) + b(0,1,-1) = (0,0,0), then a=b=0.
(a,-a,0)+(0,b,-b)=(0,0,0)
(a,b-a,-b)=(0,0,0)
a=0, b-a=0, -b=0
Since the zero vector can only be expressed as a combination of a=0 and b=0, the two vectors are linearly idependent.

2. I'm not really certain how to show if the two vectors span V. If I was to guess, I'd say plug in the vectors into V, so (1,-1,0)((1,1,1)t)=0 and (0,1,-1)((1,1,1)t)=0, but I could be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
To show they span the space you just need to show for any (x,y,z) with x+y+z=0 you can find a and b such that a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1) = (x,y,z)

So, I show that a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1)=(x,y,z) by a=x, b-a=y and -b=z. Then b=-z, a=-y-z, a=x, so x=-y-z?

Or did I misunderstand?

reeeky2001 said:
So, I show that a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1)=(x,y,z) by a=x, b-a=y and -b=z. Then b=-z, a=-y-z, a=x, so x=-y-z?

Or did I misunderstand?

You have a bunch of correct equations, but it's hard to say whether you understand. Try to arrange it like this:

To get a(1,-1,0)+b(0,1,-1)=(x,y,z) you must have a = ... and b = ...
Then demonstrate those values of a and b do the job.

1. How can I prove that two vectors form a basis of a subspace?

To prove that two vectors form a basis of a subspace, you need to show that they are linearly independent and span the entire subspace. This can be done by solving a system of equations, where the coefficients of the vectors are represented as variables. If the only solution to the system is the trivial solution, then the vectors are linearly independent. Additionally, if any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the two vectors, then they span the subspace.

2. Can more than two vectors form a basis of a subspace?

Yes, a basis for a subspace can consist of any number of linearly independent vectors. However, the minimum number of vectors needed to form a basis is equal to the dimension of the subspace.

3. What is the significance of having a basis for a subspace?

A basis for a subspace allows us to represent any vector in that subspace as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform operations on vectors in that subspace, such as finding the coordinates of a vector or determining if a vector is in the subspace.

4. Can two different sets of vectors form the same basis for a subspace?

Yes, as long as the vectors in both sets are linearly independent and span the same subspace, they can form the same basis for that subspace. However, the order and specific vectors in each set may be different.

5. Is it possible for a subspace to have multiple bases?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of different bases. However, all of these bases will have the same number of vectors and span the same subspace. This is because the dimension of a subspace is a unique property, and any basis for that subspace must have the same number of vectors as its dimension.