Lin Alg - Rank of a Matrix

In summary, the rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. It is calculated by performing row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form, and the number of non-zero rows in the RREF is the rank of the original matrix. The rank cannot be greater than the number of rows or columns, and it is significant in determining linear independence, solving systems of linear equations, and calculating determinants and inverses of matrices. The invertibility of a matrix is dependent on its rank, as a matrix is only invertible if its rank is equal to its number of rows or columns.
jinksys
Let S = {v1, v2, v3, v4, v5}

v1 = <1,1,2,1>
v2 = <1,0,-3,1>
v3 = <0,1,1,2>
v4 = <0,0,1,1>
v5 = <1,0,0,1>

Find a basis for the subspace V = span S of R^4.

----

My attempt:

I place the five vectors into a matrix, where each vector is a row of the matrix.
I solve for row-echelon (not RREF). I get:

Code:
1 1 2 1
0 1 5 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0

Therefore the basis of V = span S of R4 contains the vectors:

<1,1,2,1>, <0,1,5,0>, <0,0,1,0>, <0,0,0,1>

---

Question, besides the question "Is this correct?", I'd like to know the difference between solving for REF and RREF. I have two textbooks that I'm using to get through LinAlg and they differ on this section. One tells me to solve for RREF and one REF. Using the former method I get the identity matrix for this problem, and using the latter I get the basis above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not too sure what this is asking. span(S)=R^4 (ignore v1 and you can find yourself an orthonormal basis). Your working is correct, why did you leave out the fifth vector?

Mat

hunt_mat said:
Not too sure what this is asking. span(S)=R^4 (ignore v1 and you can find yourself an orthonormal basis). Your working is correct, why did you leave out the fifth vector?

Mat

Good catch, left out a row of zeros.

Are you not sure what I am asking, or the problem?

Both, S clearly spans R^4, so one of the vectors must be a linear combination of the others.
Can you define what is meant by REF and RREF(row reduced echlon form?)

Mat

hunt_mat said:
Both, S clearly spans R^4, so one of the vectors must be a linear combination of the others.
Can you define what is meant by REF and RREF(row reduced echlon form?)

Mat

REF = row echelon form
RREF = reduced row echelon form

I am currently reading the section on the rank of a matrix and finding basis using row space/column space.

In one book it has me setup a matrix and then solve for REF.
The other book goes all the way and has me to RREF to the same matrix.

Is there a preferred way to do these problems, I mean, obviously doing REF is less work than RREF...

I've done RREF but I haven't come across REF before (poor education on my part I suspect).
Everyone has their own way of doing problem, there is no preferred way per se, just the persons preferred way.

Here's a different, more fundamental way of doing this:

If the five given vectors do not already form a basis for for their span, they must be dependent- there exist numbers a, b, c, d, e, not all 0, such that a<1, 1, 2, 1>+ b<1, 0, -3, 1>+ c<0, 1, 1, 2>+ d<0, 0, 1, 1>+ e<1, 0, 0, 1>= <0, 0, 0, 0>.

That gives us the four equations a+ b+ e= 0, a+ c= 0, 2a- 3b+ c+ d= 0, and a+ b+ 2c+ d+ e= 0. Of course, equation 2 gives c= -a so the third equation is the same as a- 3b+ d= 0 and the last is -a+ b+ d+ e= 0. Since a+ b+ e= 0, b+ e= -a and the last equation becomes -2a+ d= 0 or d= 2a. Putting both c= -a and d= 2a into the 2a- 3b+ c+ d= 0 gives 3a- 3b= 0 or b= a. Finally, then a+ b+ e= 0 becomes 2a+ e= 0 so e= -2a. Our original equation, a<1, 1, 2, 1>+ b<1, 0, -3, 1>+ c<0, 1, 1, 2>+ d<0, 0, 1, 1>+ e<1, 0, 0, 1>= <0, 0, 0, 0>, becomes a<1, 1, 2, 1>+ a<1, 0, -3, 1>- a<0, 1, 1, 2>+ 2a<0, 0, 1, 1>- 2a<1, 0, 0, 1>= <0, 0, 0, 0>. We can divide through by a and then solve for anyone of those vectors in terms of the other four- the five given vectors span all of [itex]R^4[/itex] and any four of the original five vectors will be a basis.

1. What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. In simpler terms, it is the number of non-zero rows or columns in the matrix after performing row or column operations.

2. How is the rank of a matrix calculated?

The rank of a matrix can be calculated by performing row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form (RREF). The number of non-zero rows in the RREF is the rank of the original matrix.

3. Can the rank of a matrix be greater than the number of rows or columns?

No, the rank of a matrix cannot be greater than the number of rows or columns. The maximum rank of a matrix is limited by its dimensions.

4. What is the significance of the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is significant because it provides information about the linear independence of the rows and columns of the matrix. It is also useful in determining solutions to systems of linear equations and in calculating determinants and inverses of matrices.

5. How does the rank of a matrix affect its invertibility?

A matrix is invertible if and only if its rank is equal to its number of rows or columns. If the rank is less than the number of rows or columns, the matrix is not invertible. This is because the determinant of a non-invertible matrix is equal to 0.