Antenna Design Filtering Out UnWanted Frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement and function of a resonator in a TV or radio receiver. The resonator, also known as the tuner, is responsible for amplifying and filtering specific sine waves at a particular frequency. It is located inside the receiver and may be coupled to the antenna. In some cases, a filter may be used to eliminate interference from other frequencies. The conversation also mentions the use of an active device, such as a transistor, for signal amplification.
victor43
Hello.

I was wondering if someone could explain to someone with no electrical engineering background where would one place the resonator whose sole responsibility is to amplify sine waves at a particular frequency while ignoring other sine waves. Would this resonator be located by the antenna itself or at a location once the signal has passed through the transmission line to the receiver for example ? I hope I have not confused the technology and further hope that I've explained the question clearly. Please correct me wherever and ask any questions for further clarification.

NOTE: If this is not the correct forum for this question could anyone suggest a site that is better suited for this area of study.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi victor43, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

victor43 said:
I was wondering if someone could explain to someone with no electrical engineering background where would one place the resonator whose sole responsibility is to amplify sine waves at a particular frequency while ignoring other sine waves. Would this resonator be located by the antenna itself or at a location once the signal has passed through the transmission line to the receiver for example ? I hope I have not confused the technology and further hope that I've explained the question clearly. Please correct me wherever and ask any questions for further clarification.
That resonator is present in every TV and radio receiver. It is located inside the TV or radio set. It is called the tuner.

Where signals are expected to be weak, the antenna is usually designed to be resonant at the frequency band of interest, too, to provide you with the strongest signal and least noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi victor43, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif That resonator is present in every TV and radio receiver. It is located inside the TV or radio set. It is called the tuner.

Where signals are expected to be weak, the antenna is usually designed to be resonant at the frequency band of interest, too, to provide you with the strongest signal and least noise.

Thank you for the reply.

I understand what you are saying but from a schematics diagram description where on the circuit would you find the tuner ? Would it be coupled to the antenna ?

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
The antenna lead goes direct to the tuner.

NascentOxygen said:
The antenna lead goes direct to the tuner.

Thank again for the reply.

If you really want your receiver to be selective (say you wanted to eliminate some very high power local interfering transmitter and only wanted to receive a narrow range of frequencies) you could put a filter (resonator) right at the output of the antenna and then take the feeder to the receiver on well screened cable. It's hardly worth that effort in most applications, though and you can get perfectly good filtering with a band-pass filter on the input to the receiver. The receiver (tuner) , itself does this but it may not perform well enough in the presence of =abnormal interference levels. When there is a particularly high level of interference at a frequency that is not what you actually need to receive, then it is possible to use a 'notch' or 'band-stop' filter into the feeder at the receiver input and remove the problem of the tuner becoming overloaded by the interference. Companies sometimes supply such filters to deal with interference sources if they happen to be putting out embarrassing level of interference at 'legal' levels which still are affecting local broadcast reception. Radar transmissions at airports can be a nuisance, for instance.
Interesting that you use the word "amplify", in this context. A resonator may transform or 'magnify' the voltage but you need an active device like a transistor actually to 'amplify' a signal - i.e. to increase its Power. It is Power that counts when you are trying to discriminate between wanted signals and noise and interference.

1. How do antennas filter out unwanted frequencies?

Antennas filter out unwanted frequencies through the use of specific design techniques and components. This may include using specialized filters, such as bandpass or notch filters, to block out specific frequencies. Additionally, the physical design of the antenna, such as its size and shape, can also affect which frequencies it is able to receive.

2. What types of frequencies can be filtered out with antenna design?

Antenna design can be used to filter out a wide range of frequencies, including both lower and higher frequencies. This may include radio frequencies, cellular frequencies, Wi-Fi frequencies, and more. The specific frequencies that can be filtered out depend on the design and capabilities of the antenna.

3. Can antenna design completely eliminate unwanted frequencies?

While antenna design can effectively filter out unwanted frequencies, it is not always possible to completely eliminate them. This is because there are often overlapping frequencies in the environment, and some may be difficult to filter out without also affecting desired frequencies. However, with proper design and components, unwanted frequencies can be significantly reduced.

4. How does antenna design impact the performance of a device?

The design of an antenna can greatly impact the performance of a device, particularly in terms of its ability to receive and transmit signals. A well-designed antenna can result in stronger and more reliable signal reception, while a poorly designed antenna may lead to weak or distorted signals. Additionally, antenna design can also affect the overall range and coverage of a device.

5. Are there any limitations to using antenna design for filtering out unwanted frequencies?

While antenna design can be a powerful tool for filtering out unwanted frequencies, there are some limitations. For example, the effectiveness of an antenna may be impacted by external factors such as interference or environmental conditions. Additionally, the complexity and cost of designing an antenna with advanced filtering capabilities may also be a limiting factor for some applications.