Linear polarized microstrip patch antenna - design help

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a linearly polarized microstrip patch antenna with two coaxial probe feeds. The patch needs to be a square shape in order to receive and separate both vertical and horizontal polarized signals on the same frequency. The return loss at the resonance frequency is good, but the radiation pattern has a "zero point" in the middle. Possible solutions to improve the radiation pattern are discussed, including optimizing the patch size and reducing cross-coupling between the two feeds. Additionally, there is a question about the acceptable level of cross-polarization and ways to reduce it.
Tom48
hi there,im pretty new to antenna design, still have a lot of theory to go through, so please be kind. ;)I have to design a linearly polarized microstrip patch antenna (rectangular) that is fed with 2 coaxial probe feeds.

The patch should be a square (L=W), so i can place 2 feeds orthogonally to each other.

That way i will hopefully be able to receive/separate the vertically and horizontally polarized signal "portion".

(thats why the antenna needs to be a square, as both signal "portions" (vertical and horizontal) are on the same frequency).

So far i have only modeled and simulated one coaxial feed, i would like to optimize the antenna first before adding the second orthogonal feed.

I want to design the patch on FR-4 substrate for 867 MHz.

I have done various calculations (found on the net and Balanis 3th edition) to get my patch width and length.

Also tried to calculate the inset position so i can match the feed to 50 Ohm.I made a first design in CST and i just can not get rid of the "zero point" in the middle of the radiation pattern.

Some hints on what else i could try to improve the radiation pattern of the antenna would be great! :)

(radiation pattern is attached)

Is a good/the common radiation pattern even possible with a square shape (W=L)?

Most patch antennas i saw so far with the common radiation (like e.g. this: http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/scanner-receiver-antennas/32485d1305662856-radiation-pattern-dual-band-microstrip-patch-antenna-3.5-ghz.jpg) pattern are rectangular (W!=L).The return loss is quite good, about -31dB at resonance frequency of 867 MHz.I suspect the coaxial feed to be modeled so it does not result in a 50 Ohm impedance at the port, i used the following

parameters in order to modulate my coaxial probe in CST:inner radius (pin): 0.5 mm

outer radius (coating): 2.5 mm

teflon: 2.1

What dimensions do you usually use for a coaxial feed to match to 50 Ohm?Some help/hints are highly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance! :)Kind regards, tom.

Attachments

• rad_pattern.PNG
    rad_pattern.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 466
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks to me like your patch is two large for the desired frequency. To get a peak along z you need 1/2 a wavelength in the patch mode when viewed as a transmission line. This will place a maximum of the patch current on the origin. The pattern looks like a full wavelength under the patch yielding two current peaks 180 out of phase.

Is there a ground plane on the bottom of the FR-4 ?
How do the two coaxial feeds connect in quadrature to the patch ?
Is there a connection between the ground plane and the patch ?

hi,

thank you so much for your answers! :)
I made a mistake causing the patch to be a full wavelength patch, just like Paul already suspected!

I have another question, what level of cross-polarization is acceptable in general for low profile patch antennas?
What ways to reduce cross-polarization do you know?

thank you!

Be careful how polarization is defined. Two feed will yield two polarizations neither of which need be linear at any particular point in the far field. So, a lot depends on what you're trying to achieve. To get maximal independence of the feeds you need to reduce the cross coupling between them in the band of operation. In your modeling software monitor the power out of one feed while driving the other. Be sure to properly load the monitored feed.

1. What is a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna?

A linear polarized microstrip patch antenna is a type of antenna that is used to transmit and receive radio frequency signals. It consists of a patch of conductive material, typically in the shape of a square or rectangle, that is printed onto a dielectric substrate and connected to a transmission line. The antenna is designed to radiate or receive electromagnetic waves in a specific direction, known as the polarization direction, which can be either horizontal or vertical.

2. How does a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna work?

A linear polarized microstrip patch antenna works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves. When an electrical current is applied to the patch, it creates an electromagnetic field around the antenna. The shape and size of the patch and the properties of the substrate determine the frequency of the electromagnetic waves that are transmitted or received. By adjusting the dimensions of the patch and the substrate, the antenna can be tuned to operate at a specific frequency.

3. What are the advantages of using a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna?

There are several advantages to using a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna. Firstly, they are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in portable devices. They also have a low profile and can be easily mounted on various surfaces. Additionally, they have a narrow bandwidth, which allows for more precise signal transmission and reception. They are also relatively inexpensive to manufacture, making them a cost-effective option for wireless communication systems.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna?

When designing a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna, several factors should be taken into consideration. These include the desired frequency of operation, the size and shape of the patch, the dielectric constant of the substrate, and the feeding technique. Other factors such as the bandwidth, gain, and radiation pattern should also be considered to ensure optimal performance of the antenna.

5. Can a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna be used for both transmitting and receiving signals?

Yes, a linear polarized microstrip patch antenna can be used for both transmitting and receiving signals. The antenna operates based on the principle of reciprocity, which means that it can transmit and receive signals with equal efficiency. By adjusting the feeding technique and the dimensions of the patch, the antenna can be optimized for either transmitting or receiving signals at a specific frequency.