Which specialization should I choose for my EE degree?

In summary: Do some reading, talk to friends, and figure out what you want to do. The more you know, the easier the decision will be.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
My question pertains to specializing within an EE degree. At my school we have to specialize in 2 out of 3 options, which include Sensors, Circuits and Devices, Digital Signal Processing and Applications, and Power and Energy. I have for sure decided on Power and Energy, however, I am undecided with my second choice. Personally, I prefer the courses offered with Sensors, Circuits and Devices, however, everything these days seems to be going digital! What are your thoughts on the subject? Would I be a fool to avoid Digital Signal Processing? Thanks for your opinions!

Some courses offered in each are,
Sensors, Circuits and Devices: Electricity Magnetism and Fields, Advanced Analog Electronics and Instrumentation, Microwave and RF Circuits, Electronic Devices (solid state physics), Introduction to Micro and Nanotechnology, Optoelectronics and Photonics.

Digital Signal Processsing: Digital Signal Processing I, Logic Design Using FPGAs, Algorithms and Circuits with Finite Precision Arithmetics, Digital Communication, Digital Signal Processing, Design of a DSP System.

I know these are just names, and some of them are rather vague, but it kind of gives you an idea of the types of classes within each.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
think about what it is you enjoy doing.

I once envisioned myself behind a nice desk in an office building doing important paperwork.

But in my personal life i was always fixing things, somewhat of a "nerd".
In college i had a Ford overdrive transmission completely apart on my study desk for four days. That's still one of my most vivid memories of engineering school - how interesting planetary gears are. (If you try this, be sure to scrupulously clean everything while it's still oputdoors. )

Upon entering the workforce i soon learned how quickly i bored of paperwork and how much i enjoyed troubleshooting. I did a two year stint in a main office and was bored to tears. Parkinson is right - a people cannot exist by reading one another's memoranda. Most paperwork is unimportant.

So my point to you is - know yourself.

Digital Signal Processing is a fascinating field, and any EE should be aware of its capability. If your interests lean toward design work you may be well served by such a background.

If you are the type who is happiest when he has tools in hand, i'd say take the sensors route. Power will continue to be generated by large steam machines for next several decades and power plants need instrumentation engineers who are also familiar with three phase machinery.

In my own curriculum i was able to squeeze in one course in Reactor Physics and one in Reactor Operation. I found them more interesting than planetary gears and had a wonderfully interesting and fun career with an electric utility.

If you aspire to be a captain of industry go for it, there's plenty of room at the top.
But it takes a strong personality to get there.

The fellows at the top are generally superb people and appreciative of competence in the lower ranks. There's no disgrace in being a good worker bee. My company called them "Individual Contributors" and treated us well.

Good luck,

old jim

I wish I could just do it all! I'm leaning more towards Power Electronics and Instrumentation; however, the more I read regarding Digital Signal Processing, the more intrigued I get with the subject. Tough call.

Don't fret over this too much.

Life throws us never ending curve balls. Most of us end up doing something different than what we specialized in. Not to mention, real work is so much different than school anyways.

That being said, take what you enjoy now.

As a scientist with a background in electrical engineering, I understand your dilemma in choosing a specialization within your degree. Both Power and Energy and Digital Signal Processing are important and relevant fields in today's world, so you can't go wrong with either choice.

In terms of your second specialization, I would suggest considering the current trends and demands in the industry. While Sensors, Circuits and Devices may be your personal preference, it's worth noting that digital technologies are becoming more prevalent in various industries. This means that there may be more job opportunities and growth potential in the field of Digital Signal Processing.

However, it's important to also consider your own interests and strengths. If you excel in courses related to Sensors, Circuits and Devices, then that may be a better fit for you. Ultimately, your success in your chosen specialization will depend on your passion and dedication towards it.

My advice would be to research the job market and industry trends in both fields, and also speak to professors and professionals in each area to get a better understanding of the opportunities and challenges in each. You may even consider taking a few courses in both specializations to get a better feel for them before making a final decision.

In the end, remember that your specialization is just one aspect of your degree and career. Both Power and Energy and Digital Signal Processing are important and valuable fields, and with hard work and dedication, you can excel in either one. Best of luck in your decision!

1. What is the difference between a general EE degree and specializing within an EE degree?

A general EE degree covers a broad range of topics within electrical engineering, while specializing within an EE degree allows students to focus on a specific area of interest within the field. This can include topics such as power systems, telecommunications, or microelectronics.

2. How do I choose a specialization within my EE degree?

It is important to research and explore different areas of electrical engineering to determine your interests and strengths. You can also speak with advisors and professionals in the field to gain insights into different specializations and their potential career paths.

3. Can I change my specialization within my EE degree?

Yes, it is possible to change your specialization within your EE degree. However, this may require taking additional courses or extending your graduation timeline. It is important to discuss any changes with your advisor to ensure a smooth transition.

4. What job opportunities are available with a specialized EE degree?

There are a variety of job opportunities available with a specialized EE degree, depending on the chosen specialization. Graduates can work in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, electronics, and power systems, among others.

5. Is it necessary to specialize within an EE degree to have a successful career?

No, it is not necessary to specialize within an EE degree to have a successful career. A general EE degree can provide a solid foundation in the field and graduates can still pursue various job opportunities and advance in their careers. However, specializing within a specific area can provide a competitive edge and open up opportunities in that particular field.