Course on Semiconductor Physics as part of my EE degree

In summary, this course is fundamental to being an EE, and it is required in my undergraduate coursework and my graduate level classes. It is worth taking even if you are not interested in the quantum mechanics aspect of the class.
quixote
Hey, need a bit of a help.
me, an electrical engg. student is confused at this point that my university offers a course(half semester) on "Electronic Devices(ED)" as they call it; as you can infer from the attachment.
As I watch the lectures it turns out to be an intermediate course on the semiconductor physics of 'why a PNJ or BJT or MOS works the way it does? '.
I should say it is a somewhat rigorous treatment that sees to the atomic levels of a semiconductor.
but the other courses offered this sem include diff eqns., complex analysis, network theory, signals and systems etc.
Should I invest considerable time on this ED course? will it be useful in future years through EE?
(also I'm not big on Quantum Mechanics.)

Attachments

• semiphysics.PNG
    semiphysics.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 141
Physics news on Phys.org
quixote said:
Should I invest considerable time on this ED course?
Yes

quixote said:
will it be useful in future years through EE?
Undoubtedly

quixote said:
I'm not big on Quantum Mechanics
Extra reason to take this

Likes berkeman and quixote
I appreciate that you responded.
it needs some doing then, my attitude towards the course.

quixote said:
As I watch the lectures it turns out to be an intermediate course on the semiconductor physics of 'why a PNJ or BJT or MOS works the way it does? '.
I agree with @BvU -- this course is fundamental to being an EE, IMO. It certainly was required in my undergrad EE work, and I've used the concepts often over the years (despite my not working in semiconductor physics directly).

Likes quixote
It was required in my undergraduate coursework and the topic appears early into my graduate level classes (I'm about 3 weeks in).

Ever solved for the area of a square? Base x Height. Done... then you made it to your calculus class and they showed you how to do an integral. My point here is that you could get the area without using (directly) fundamentals. It's true that this class is fundamental, but depending on what you want to do, then you might not need this class. I consider this a "nice to have" good to know things and would recommend the class, but if you ask physicist and professors they are almost always going to say that you need to learn more especially fundamentals, which is the right thing for them to say.

What's your GPA like is it okay or borderline? Do you think this will strain your GPA? What do you want to do when you are done with your degree?

Likes quixote
quixote said:
Should I invest considerable time on this ED course? will it be useful in future years through EE?
Some typical examples of where I have used this class in my work, framed as questions to you after you have completed this course:
  • Does a MOSFET or a BJT conduct more current as it gets hotter? Why? What are the practical implications of this?
  • Which color of LED has a higher Vf, and Why? How does that affect your circuit designs?
  • What voltage Zener diode has the minimum tempco, and Why? What does that mean for your circuit designs?
And so on. Learn as much as you can in school, because sure as heck you will use it later. :wink:

Likes quixote and marcusl
Joshy said:
but if you ask physicist and professors they are almost always going to say that you need to learn more especially fundamentals, which is the right thing for them to say.

What's your GPA like is it okay or borderline? Do you think this will strain your GPA? What do you want to do when you are done with your degree?
Where I'm from, we actually have the value in 10.0 but say, in a US system it would be around 3.46(GPA)(considered fine here) . "how it's going to be put to use later on" was my query.
as of now, topics like control system, power electronics, signal processing are not yet introduced, but will be once the degree progresses, so I'm sticking around to see what piques my interest. A masters in the field of interest will most likely be my choice once I'm done with the bachelors.
Thank you for the reply once again and all the best for your graduate course, if you don't mind me asking, what field are you specializing in?.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Some typical examples of where I have used this class in my work, framed as questions to you after you have completed this course:
  • Does a MOSFET or a BJT conduct more current as it gets hotter? Why? What are the practical implications of this?
  • Which color of LED has a higher Vf, and Why? How does that affect your circuit designs?
  • What voltage Zener diode has the minimum tempco, and Why? What does that mean for your circuit designs?
And so on. Learn as much as you can in school, because sure as heck you will use it later. :wink:
okay, I've seen ques. like these as part of few post-undergrad exams tho.
thanks berkerman, will see what it's all up to.

Likes berkeman
Another good idea is to look at the graduate school you are interested in because they might have the class as a core class. My graduate school requires it even though I've already taken it several times.

Likes quixote

What is a course on Semiconductor Physics?

A course on Semiconductor Physics is a class that covers the principles and applications of semiconductors, which are materials that have properties between those of conductors and insulators. This course typically includes topics such as band theory, semiconductor devices, and fabrication techniques.

Why is a course on Semiconductor Physics important for an EE degree?

A course on Semiconductor Physics is important for an EE degree because semiconductors are essential components in many electronic devices. Understanding their properties and behavior is crucial for designing and working with these devices.

What are some key topics covered in a course on Semiconductor Physics?

Some key topics covered in a course on Semiconductor Physics may include band theory, carrier transport, p-n junctions, transistors, diodes, and fabrication techniques such as photolithography and etching.

What are some potential career paths for someone who has taken a course on Semiconductor Physics?

Someone who has taken a course on Semiconductor Physics may pursue a career in the semiconductor industry, working in fields such as research and development, device design, or fabrication. They may also work in related industries such as electronics, telecommunications, or renewable energy.

What are some resources for further learning about Semiconductor Physics?

There are many resources available for further learning about Semiconductor Physics, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. Some universities also offer advanced courses or seminars on specific topics within Semiconductor Physics. Additionally, attending conferences or joining professional organizations can provide opportunities for networking and staying updated on developments in the field.