Need Some guidance in G-code manipulation.

In summary, you are looking for a cnc system that can adjust its program based on readings from sensors. You are also looking for software that is more commonly used in industry applications.
Pattonias
I am working on a project that will require me to program a cnc like system that can adjust its code based on readings that it receives from sensors as it is running its program.

Could anyone give me some pointers on where to start looking for this kind of software?
I'm finding my weakness to be the terminology to ask for the exact thing I am trying to do.

Technology news on Phys.org
Pattonias said:
I am working on a project that will require me to program a cnc like system that can adjust its code based on readings that it receives from sensors as it is running its program.

Could anyone give me some pointers on where to start looking for this kind of software?
I'm finding my weakness to be the terminology to ask for the exact thing I am trying to do.

You need to be more specific. What system are you planning to program? There are several systems that run programs made up of G (or M) codes. One that comes to mind is Fanuc, and I'm sure there are quite a few others.

If you know the system you will be programming, you'll be closer to finding the software that is able to generate the G codes.

We are designing a 3 axis mill like machine that will operate on a table top running Linuxcnc.
We need the feed rate and tool speed and z force to be dynamically responsive to the force/temperature changes encountered as the tool moves through the material. Traditional cnc code appears to simply follow the instructions given and relies on the user to select parameters appropriate for the material. Unfortunately we will require something a little more sophisticated.

We are still trying to make a pairing between the correct system and software combination that would best allow us to do this. We could in theory do this with LabView, but would rather use something more common to industry applications.

1. What is G-code and how is it used in manufacturing?

G-code is a programming language used to control the movements of machines, such as 3D printers and CNC machines, in the manufacturing process. It consists of a set of instructions that tell the machine what actions to perform, such as moving to a specific location or performing a specific task.

2. How can I learn to manipulate G-code?

There are various online resources and tutorials available for learning how to manipulate G-code. You can also consult the machine's manual or seek guidance from experienced users. Practice and experimentation are key to mastering G-code manipulation.

3. Can G-code be edited manually?

Yes, G-code can be edited manually using a text editor. However, it requires a good understanding of the language and its syntax to avoid errors. It is recommended to use specialized software for editing G-code, as it provides a more user-friendly interface and tools for error checking.

4. Is G-code compatible with all machines?

G-code is a standard language used in the manufacturing industry, so it is compatible with most machines. However, there may be slight variations in the syntax and commands for different machines. It is best to refer to the machine's manual or consult with the manufacturer for specific G-code instructions.

5. What are some common applications of G-code?

G-code is commonly used in various manufacturing processes, such as 3D printing, CNC machining, and laser cutting. It is also used in robotics, automated welding, and other industrial applications. G-code allows for precise and efficient control of machines, making it an essential tool in modern manufacturing.