Choosing a Project: My Criteria and Friends' Examples

In summary, the person wants to do a machine learning project but is unsure of how to go about it. They have experienced difficulty in learning new subjects while also trying to learn machine learning.
shivajikobardan
1640765102866.png

1640765115995.png
My criteria for choosing this project-:
->Should be easy.
->Should be doable in 1.5 months.
->Should not to be too easy and should be just hard enough to be a major project.
->It is a group project but since this is nepal lol mainly 1 person is going to do it. max 2 persons will do this.
->Our skill level is not much. The one who is doing the project knows how to code in django and is good with programming. I personally know the basics of python but I have never made any projects

->We will do projects that have course tutorial. The reason is due to 5) our skill level is not that much so.
these are the types of project our friends are doing for example. if you want to see the complexity of the project that our friends are doing so that you could help us choose it.

Yesterday I asked with 500 projects,today I am asking with around 20 projects, any guidance will be really valuable. If anyone wants full projects list just contact me I will share that.

Technology news on Phys.org
This is really hard to answer for you. What do you want to do amongst the list? It should feel fun and exciting otherwise you will likely stop wanting to code. I can tell you from experience when the project makes me want to do it versus I have to do it, or it's completely fictitious, the quality of my work is very different. For example, the website MHB is a forum that uses PHP, HTML, CSS, etc. so in order to change something here I need to learn these things at times. That gives me incentive to want to learn them because I have a real problem to solve. In your case this is for a project so it won't be "real" in the same sense, but I think it should be something that excites you. What excites you from the list?

Jameson said:
This is really hard to answer for you. What do you want to do amongst the list? It should feel fun and exciting otherwise you will likely stop wanting to code. I can tell you from experience when the project makes me want to do it versus I have to do it, or it's completely fictitious, the quality of my work is very different. For example, the website MHB is a forum that uses PHP, HTML, CSS, etc. so in order to change something here I need to learn these things at times. That gives me incentive to want to learn them because I have a real problem to solve. In your case this is for a project so it won't be "real" in the same sense, but I think it should be something that excites you. What excites you from the list?
we decided to do employee promtion prediction related to machine learning. we have already studied data mining/machine learning. one dude can do this for sure. but i wish that i be able to do it which i am not really hopeful of :(

I work in the machine learning industry, I can definitely give feedback if you post here.

Jameson said:
I work in the machine learning industry, I can definitely give feedback if you post here.
wow.. you are doing what every students nowadays can only dream of doing...one issue with me is that i was good at math and stuffs. but problem is i have forgotten everything as i didn't make notes. and i am thinking how will i study these 30+ subjects? did this happened to you? i am near graduation and i have only studied my 7th semester properly(i.e i made hipster pdas). i studied other semester like every other student(i didn't make hipster pda short notes for later to revise and neither did i made any good notes)...so to learn machine learning you need to know good amount of math and probability. learning 4 engineering mathematics and 1 semester probability and statistics will take me ages...idk how i overcome this phase...anyway thanks for listening to my rant lol...

shivajikobardan said:
wow.. you are doing what every students nowadays can only dream of doing...one issue with me is that i was good at math and stuffs. but problem is i have forgotten everything as i didn't make notes. and i am thinking how will i study these 30+ subjects? did this happened to you? i am near graduation and i have only studied my 7th semester properly(i.e i made hipster pdas). i studied other semester like every other student(i didn't make hipster pda short notes for later to revise and neither did i made any good notes)...so to learn machine learning you need to know good amount of math and probability. learning 4 engineering mathematics and 1 semester probability and statistics will take me ages...idk how i overcome this phase...anyway thanks for listening to my rant lol...
Ha, thank you. I have a masters degree in statistics and had no experience with machine learning or modeling when I graduated. I think that the state of modern ML is it's good to understand data, stats, and programming to an intermediate level. After that it's all about gaining practical experience with real projects. There are so many Python libraries now that make ML very accessible. The problem is that it's almost too easy to where if you don't know the theory behind it at all, you won't notice mistakes. So again I think having a solid math/stats background assists but getting a job is about being able to code and finish real projects.

Have you explored fastai at all? I really like this free course because it comes with Python notebooks that open up in Google Colab. You can run the code and see how it works for real.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a project?

When choosing a project, it is important to consider your interests, skills, available resources, and time constraints. Think about what topics or areas you are passionate about and what skills you have that can contribute to a successful project. It is also important to consider if you have access to necessary materials, equipment, and support from others. Additionally, make sure to assess how much time you have to complete the project and if it aligns with any deadlines or goals you have set.

2. How can I involve my friends in my project?

Involving your friends in your project can be a great way to collaborate and share ideas. You can ask them for feedback, brainstorm together, or even work on the project together. It is important to communicate clearly and set expectations for each person's role and contribution. You can also consider hosting a group meeting or presentation to showcase your project and allow your friends to provide input and support.

3. What are some examples of successful projects that my friends have done?

Some examples of successful projects from your friends may include experiments, research studies, or inventions. You can ask your friends about their past projects or do some research on similar projects that have been recognized or awarded. It can also be helpful to discuss your friends' projects with them and learn about the process, challenges, and outcomes.

4. How do I ensure that my project is original and not already done by someone else?

To ensure your project is original, it is important to do thorough research and understand the current state of the field or topic you are interested in. You can search for similar projects or studies online, read relevant articles or publications, and consult with your mentors or teachers. Additionally, you can make your project unique by adding your own creative twist or incorporating new methods or techniques.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to come up with a project idea?

If you are struggling to come up with a project idea, try brainstorming with friends or mentors, reading articles or publications in your field of interest, or attending workshops or conferences to learn about new topics and ideas. You can also consider addressing a current issue or problem in your community or conducting a replication study of a previous project. Don't be afraid to reach out for help and advice from others!