What is the Physics behind Global Warming?

In summary, a first year physics student from the UK is seeking resources to learn about the science of global warming and climate change in order to better understand the topic and not have to rely on authority during debates. However, the topic is banned on a forum due to lack of expertise and the student is directed to browse the EPA website for general information.
11thHeaven
Hi all, I'm a 1st year physics student in the UK and I'd like to ask if anyone could point me to where I can learn about the in-depth science of global warming/climate change. I don't like having to appeal to authority (even when the authority is legitimate) during debates on global warming and I'd like to have a go at understanding the physics of what's going on myself. I know much of it will be beyond my level but I'd like to have a go regardless.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. What is the main cause of global warming?

The main cause of global warming is the increase in greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, in the Earth's atmosphere. These gases trap heat from the sun, causing the Earth's average temperature to rise.

2. How does physics play a role in global warming?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding the mechanisms behind global warming. It helps us understand the properties of greenhouse gases, the absorption and emission of heat, and the effects of solar radiation on the Earth's atmosphere.

3. Can the Earth's natural cycles explain the current warming trend?

No, the current warming trend cannot be explained solely by natural cycles. While the Earth does have natural cycles of warming and cooling, the current trend is far beyond what can be accounted for by these cycles. The increase in greenhouse gases is the main factor contributing to the current global warming trend.

4. How does global warming impact the Earth's climate?

Global warming has a wide range of impacts on the Earth's climate, including rising sea levels, changes in precipitation patterns, more frequent and severe natural disasters, and shifts in ecosystems. These impacts can have significant consequences for human populations and the environment.

5. Can we reverse the effects of global warming?

While we cannot completely reverse the effects of global warming, we can slow down and potentially stop the warming trend by reducing our greenhouse gas emissions. This requires a collective effort from governments, industries, and individuals to make sustainable changes and switch to renewable energy sources.