Relativistic Energy and four momentum

T. In summary, the equation for the final kinetic energy T is T = T0cos2(theta)/(1+ (T0sin2(theta)/2E0)). It can be derived by considering the conservation of energy and momentum in a collision between a particle with initial kinetic energy T0 and rest energy E0 and a stationary particle. Writing out the conservation equations and solving for T leads to this equation.
golfingboy07
A particle of initial kinetic energy T0 and rest energy E0 strikes a like particle at rest. The initial particle is scattered at an agle theta to its original direction. Show that the final kinetic energy T is

T = T0cos2(theta)/(1+ (T0sin2(theta)/2E0))

what I have so far:

We know that T = E - E0 and that four momentum will be conserved. Also I think if we choose a suitible invariant it may simplify the problem

Could I get more suggestions/hints a starting point etc.

Thanks

GM

Physics news on Phys.org
The total energy before and after the collision is the same, as well as the total linear momentum, so I suggest you start by writing those 3 "conservation equations" (1 for energy, 1 for x-component momentum and 1 for y-component momentum)

Related to Relativistic Energy and four momentum

1. What is Relativistic Energy and four momentum?

Relativistic Energy and four momentum is a concept in physics that describes the energy and momentum of an object in motion relative to an observer's frame of reference, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

2. How is Relativistic Energy and four momentum different from classical energy and momentum?

Relativistic Energy and four momentum take into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in classical energy and momentum equations.

3. How is Relativistic Energy and four momentum calculated?

Relativistic Energy and four momentum are calculated using the equations E = γmc^2 and p = γmv, where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the rest mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. What is the significance of Relativistic Energy and four momentum in particle physics?

Relativistic Energy and four momentum are crucial concepts in particle physics because they allow scientists to accurately describe the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, such as those found in particle accelerators.

5. Can Relativistic Energy and four momentum be conserved?

Yes, just like classical energy and momentum, Relativistic Energy and four momentum are conserved quantities in a closed system where no external forces are acting on the objects involved.