Time Independence of the Momentum Uncertainty for a Free Particle Wave

In summary, the momentum uncertainty in a situation without a potential is governed by two functions that are constant in time.
uxioq99
Homework Statement
Prove that ##\frac{\sigma_p}{dt} = 0## for a freely moving wave packet in the absence of a potential. (Here, ##\sigma_p## denotes momentum uncertainty.)
Relevant Equations
##\frac{\sigma_p}{dt} = 0##
Mine is a simple question, so I shall keep development at a minimum. If a particle is moving in the absence of a potential (##V(x) = 0##), then
##\frac{\langle\hat p \rangle}{dt} = \langle -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\rangle=0##
will require that the momentum expectation value remains constant in time. Now, I must prove that ##\langle \hat p^2 \rangle## is also constant in time. I used the kinetic energy formula ##\hat T = \frac{\hat p^2}{2m}## to assert that ##\frac{d\langle p \rangle}{dt} = 2m\frac{d\langle T\rangle}{dt}=0## because the total kinetic energy of a freely moving particle is conserved. I justified my claim by arguing that there cannot be any work in the absence of a potential so that potential must be constant. Then, the momentum uncertainty ##\sigma_p = \sqrt{\langle p^2 \rangle - \langle p \rangle^2}## is formed from two functions that are constant in time is consequently time-invariant itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems all right to me.  You may check it directly from momentum wavefunction which you get from Gaussian coordinate wavefunction with growing dispersion, by Fourier transform.

Last edited:
Likes uxioq99
uxioq99 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that ##\frac{\sigma_p}{dt} = 0## for a freely moving wave packet in the absence of a potential. (Here, ##\sigma_p## denotes momentum uncertainty.)
Relevant Equations:: ##\frac{\sigma_p}{dt} = 0##

Mine is a simple question, so I shall keep development at a minimum. If a particle is moving in the absence of a potential (##V(x) = 0##), then
##\frac{\langle\hat p \rangle}{dt} = \langle -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\rangle=0##
will require that the momentum expectation value remains constant in time. Now, I must prove that ##\langle \hat p^2 \rangle## is also constant in time. I used the kinetic energy formula ##\hat T = \frac{\hat p^2}{2m}## to assert that ##\frac{d\langle p \rangle}{dt} = 2m\frac{d\langle T\rangle}{dt}=0## because the total kinetic energy of a freely moving particle is conserved. I justified my claim by arguing that there cannot be any work in the absence of a potential so that potential must be constant. Then, the momentum uncertainty ##\sigma_p = \sqrt{\langle p^2 \rangle - \langle p \rangle^2}## is formed from two functions that are constant in time is consequently time-invariant itself.
I'm not totally convinced. Why can you assume conservation of KE? The concept of "work" is not very QM.

An alternative is to consider the relationship between momentum and a potential-free Hamiltonian.

I'd solve the time-dependent Schrödinger equation in momentum representation, given an arbitrary square-integrable ##\psi(t=0,\vec{p})=\psi_0(\vec{p})## and then think about, how to calculate ##\sigma_p(t)## with it.

1. What is the "Time Independence of the Momentum Uncertainty for a Free Particle Wave"?

The "Time Independence of the Momentum Uncertainty for a Free Particle Wave" is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that the uncertainty in a free particle's momentum remains constant over time. This means that the momentum of a free particle cannot be precisely determined at any given moment, but its uncertainty will not change over time.

2. Why is this principle important in quantum mechanics?

This principle is important because it is a fundamental aspect of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. It helps to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has implications for the measurement and prediction of a particle's momentum.

3. How does this principle relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The "Time Independence of the Momentum Uncertainty for a Free Particle Wave" is a specific case of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This principle is one of the key foundations of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments.

4. Does this principle apply to all particles?

Yes, this principle applies to all particles, including both elementary particles and composite particles. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and applies to all systems at the quantum level.

5. How is this principle used in practical applications?

This principle is used in practical applications such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, where the behavior of particles at the quantum level is harnessed for technological advancements. It also helps to inform our understanding of the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as atoms and molecules.