Proving a Function is Riemann Integrable

In summary, in order to prove that h(x) = max{f(x), g(x)} for x \in [a, b] is integrable, we can use the fact that if f is integrable, then so is |f|. By expressing max{f(x), g(x)} as a sum of absolute values of functions that are known to be integrable, we can show that h(x) is also integrable.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

Let f, g : [a, b] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R be integrable on [a, b]. Then, prove that h(x) = max{f(x), g(x)} for
x [tex]\in[/tex] [a, b] is integrable.

Homework Equations

Definition of integrability: for each epsilon greater than zero there exists a partition P so that U(f,P)-L(f,P)<epsilon

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok i have absolutley no clue how to do this one. The following graph is how i think the function would look : http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE/Graph2.jpg

Sorry about the crude drawing, but the very light blue would be h(x)

But i honest to god can't see a way to make U(f,P)-L(f,P)<epsilon a true statement

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Prove that if f is integrable then so is |f|.

Why does this help?

I know that that is a theorem in the book, but i don't see how its applicable here. i also know that |Integral(f)| < Integral(|f|) comes from that statement.

Last edited:
Try writing max(f,g) in terms of absolute values. To get a feel for this, try to find such an expression for max(f,0).

how do you mean in absolute values?

like max(f,g)<max(|f|,|g|)?

edit: guess not

im trying to figure out this for h(x)= max(f,0)

so we know h(x) = f if f is positive and 0 else.

but i can't figure this out for the other thing.

max(f,0) = (|f| + f)/2

I see where this argument is going. Basically you are gunna describe h(x) as a sum of absolute values of functions we already know are integrable, therefore the result is integrable.

Now to figure out max(f,g)...

sorry for the tripple post. but i got a little bit farthermax(f,g)= [(g+|g|)+ (f+|f|)] /2 - min(f,g)

but then i got to figure out how to describe the min function...

Try to think about f-g and f+g.

ok you I am not getting this

[(g+|g|)+ (f+|f|)] /2 = f+g if f and g are the same sign

I really don't know how to give you any more hints that don't involve giving you the answer! Maybe try thinking about why (|f|+f)/2 gives us max(f,0). Try to sleep on it.

1. What is the definition of a Riemann integrable function?

A Riemann integrable function is a mathematical function that can be integrated over a certain interval using the Riemann integral. This integral is defined as the limit of a sum of areas of rectangles under the graph of the function, as the width of the rectangles approaches zero.

2. How do you prove that a function is Riemann integrable?

To prove that a function is Riemann integrable, you must show that the upper and lower Riemann sums of the function converge to the same value as the partition of the interval becomes finer. This can be done using various techniques, such as the squeeze theorem or the Cauchy criterion for integrability.

3. What are the necessary conditions for a function to be Riemann integrable?

A function must have a finite number of discontinuities and bounded on a closed interval to be Riemann integrable. Additionally, the discontinuities must be of a type that does not affect the integral, such as removable or jump discontinuities.

4. Can a function be Riemann integrable on a closed interval but not on an open interval?

Yes, a function can be Riemann integrable on a closed interval but not on an open interval. This is because the definition of a Riemann integrable function requires that the function be bounded on the interval, and an open interval does not have an endpoint to bound the function.

5. Are all continuous functions Riemann integrable?

No, not all continuous functions are Riemann integrable. While it is true that all continuous functions are integrable according to the Lebesgue integral, there are some continuous functions that do not meet the necessary conditions for Riemann integrability, such as having an unbounded interval or an infinite number of discontinuities.