Dual Booting XP for File Access: How to Create a Partition Without Losing Data

• Thread starter binzing
  • Start date
In summary, the person's computer got a virus, and now when they try to start the computer, it goes to the Windows XP loading screen and then blue screen and restarts. They got a new computer and tried to dual boot, but couldn't because the old computer didn't have any more HD space. They then downloaded a program called Clone Maxx and it wouldn't work with their old external hard drive. They are now at their neighbors with high speed and will try to download gparted again.
binzing
Recently my computer got some sort of virus, and now when I try to start it, it'll make it to the Windows XP loading screen and then blue screen and restart. I have since then got a new one, which was much needed anyways, but I didn't get all of my files backed up. I have been told by my cousin, who is very good with computers, as am I, that it's possible to dual boot two versions of XP, I have the original restore CDs, so I'm set there. I'd like to do this, access and copy my files, then wipe the drive and make it into a Linux laptop. Problem is, how can I make a partition for this dual boot, WITHOUT formatting the drive and losing all my data. I've looked up some of these programs on the web, but they are all ridiculously expensive, as I'd likely only use it once. I have also been told that you can use a Linux install CD to make the partition, which I have one of (Ubuntu) but not with me currently. I do not have highspeed, so downloading something is restricted to it being less and a few Mbs. What is the best option? Thanks so much in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey
To make partitions on a harddisk without formatting the disk you can download the gparted livecd. It is basically a small linux cd containing the software gparted.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php"

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, will check it out thanks!

Ugh, I looked at it, and the LiveCD is 52 megs. I opted for the LiveUSB which is half that, but still huge for dialup. Do you think that I will be able to see the contents of my drive from gparted? Cause then I wouldn't even need to partition.

Does your new laptop have a open HD bay? many do. If so, pull the HD out of the old computer and put it in as a slave on the new system. Now you can transfer files easily.

Once you get what you want, repartition and format, now you have more HD space.

What? Since when do they have two HDD bays? Anyways, I don't think so. I got a program called Clone Maxx, but it wouldn't work with my external harddrive attached to my old laptop. I'm now at my neighbors with high speed and will try downloading gparted again. Thanks

Well, I downloaded gparted, and as I am very happy to say, it recognized my external hard drive, and is in the process of copying my old one to my external. Cross your fingers. Thanks both of you.

What do I do if I need help with something specific?

If you need help with something specific, the best thing to do is to reach out to someone who has expertise in that area. This could be a teacher, a colleague, or a professional in that field.

How do I ask for help without feeling embarrassed or ashamed?

Asking for help can be difficult, but it's important to remember that everyone needs help at some point. It's also important to remember that asking for help shows strength and determination to improve. Practice asking for help and remind yourself that it's okay to not know everything.

What can I do if no one is available to help me?

If you can't find someone to help you, try searching online for resources or tutorials related to your problem. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time. Don't be afraid to ask for help from online communities or forums as well.

How can I be more independent and not rely on others for help?

Being self-sufficient is a great skill to have, but it's also important to know when to ask for help. Start by trying to solve the problem on your own, but if you get stuck, don't be afraid to reach out for assistance. You can also practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills to become more independent in the future.

What are some effective strategies for asking for help?

When asking for help, be specific about what you need and provide any relevant information or context. Be polite and respectful, and try to listen and understand the advice or assistance you receive. Make sure to thank the person for their help, and consider offering help in return if they ever need it.