Hello Can someone tell me what sources in the Universe produce

In summary, sources in the Universe that produce antimatter include high-energy particle collisions, cosmic rays impacting Earth's atmosphere, and energetic celestial events like the interaction of relativistic jets with the interstellar medium. However, antimatter is severely outnumbered by matter, making it difficult to harvest as a source of energy. There is a giant cloud of antimatter surrounding the galactic center, possibly created by X-ray binaries, but the exact mechanism is not fully understood.
Gorn
Hello.. Can someone tell me what sources in the Universe produce anti-matter? Do black-holes, stars? stellar explosions?

I can assume if these things are large in number...there should be a lot of anti-matter floating around in the Universe.

I know a lot of it gets destroyed in the interstellar medium..but because the medium is "thin" there should still be a lot of anti-matter out there floating around. Also, there should be a lot in the vicinity of the Earth as well. And if so...could you not simply harvest or collect it up in a big way to be used as fuel or for other purposes?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Bye.
G.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Observation suggests there is hardly any anti matter left in the universe. We would otherwise see sustained gamma ray bursts from colliding gas clouds and galaxies.

The reason why there is hardly any antimatter left is because matter severely outnumbers its counterpart. Therefore, antimatter is usually annihalated.

I do not what sources produce antimatter naturally, but I do know that matter-antimatter reactions are responsible for the "evaporation" of black holes.

On the CERN website, http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html , it read that that antimatter first needs to be produced to produce the energy required in matter-antimatter reactions. However, the energy required to produce antimatter far outweighs the amount of energy produced during a reaction. Therefore, matter-antimatter reactions are not a feasible source of energy at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorn said:
Hello.. Can someone tell me what sources in the Universe produce anti-matter?
G.

Some radionuclides decay by the emission of a positron, which is the antimatter equivalent of the electron. Of course, these positrons don't last long, as they soon meet up with electrons and undergo mutual annihilation.

I don't think there are any known macroscopic sources of antimatter like you are thinking of. As in, there are no active galactic nuclei which shoot a jet of antimatter out one side and non-antimatter out the other or anything crazy like that.

Wiki has some comments on possible sources of minute quantities of antimatter:

Antiparticles are created everywhere in the universe where high-energy particle collisions take place. High-energy cosmic rays impacting Earth's atmosphere (or any other matter in the solar system) produce minute quantities of antimatter in the resulting particle jets, which are immediately annihilated by contact with nearby matter. It may similarly be produced in regions like the center of the Milky Way Galaxy and other galaxies, where very energetic celestial events occur (principally the interaction of relativistic jets with the interstellar medium). The presence of the resulting antimatter is detectable by the gamma rays produced when positrons annihilate with nearby matter. The gamma rays' frequency and wavelength indicate that each carries 511 keV of energy (i.e. the rest mass of an electron or positron multiplied by c2).

Recent observations by the European Space Agency's INTEGRAL (International Gamma-Ray Astrophysics Laboratory) satellite may explain the origin of a giant cloud of antimatter surrounding the galactic center. The observations show that the cloud is asymmetrical and matches the pattern of X-ray binaries, binary star systems containing black holes or neutron stars, mostly on one side of the galactic center. While the mechanism is not fully understood, it is likely to involve the production of electron-positron pairs, as ordinary matter gains tremendous energy while falling into a stellar remnant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter#Origin_and_asymmetry

Very interesting I stand corrected.

1. What are the sources in the Universe that produce energy?

The main sources of energy in the Universe are stars, which produce energy through nuclear fusion reactions in their cores. Other sources include black holes, which release energy through the accretion of matter, and supernovae, which are explosive events that release large amounts of energy.

2. How do these sources produce energy?

Stars produce energy through nuclear fusion, in which they fuse lighter elements into heavier ones, releasing energy in the process. Black holes produce energy through the conversion of gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy as matter falls into them. Supernovae produce energy through the fusion of elements in their cores, as well as the release of energy from the collapse of the star's core.

3. What types of energy are produced by these sources?

The sources in the Universe produce various forms of energy, including electromagnetic radiation (such as light and heat), gravitational energy, and kinetic energy. They also produce other types of energy, such as neutrinos and cosmic rays.

4. How important are these sources in the study of the Universe?

These sources are crucial in the study of the Universe, as they provide us with valuable information about the physical processes that occur in the cosmos. They also play a significant role in the evolution of galaxies, the formation of planets, and the existence of life on Earth.

5. Are there any other sources of energy in the Universe?

Apart from stars, black holes, and supernovae, there are other sources of energy in the Universe, such as pulsars, quasars, and gamma-ray bursts. These sources are often associated with high-energy events, such as the collision of two neutron stars or the merging of black holes.