Adding/subtracting in polar coordinates?

In summary, adding and subtracting in polar coordinates involves converting to rectangular coordinates, performing the desired operation, and then converting back to polar coordinates. This method may not work for adding or subtracting points, but can be applied to vectors if the basis vectors are established. It may not be applicable for adding complex numbers in polar form.
coregis
How do you add or subtract in polar coordinates if not given the rectangular coordinates? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Convert to rectangular coordinates then add/subtract. Convert back to polar coordinates.

Adding and subtracting what? Coordinates apply to points and you don't add or subtract points. If you are talking about vectors, then you will have to establish what you "basis" vectors are. In Cartesian coordinates, you can take the unit vectors in the x y directions as basis vectors. You can't do that in polar coordinates.

Thanks. I thought that was the only way to do it. Sorry for not being so clear. I was trying to add complex numbers in the polar form.

Related to Adding/subtracting in polar coordinates?

1. How do I add/subtract in polar coordinates?

To add/subtract in polar coordinates, you first convert the coordinates to their rectangular form. Then, you can simply use the regular rules for addition/subtraction of two complex numbers.

2. Can I add/subtract polar coordinates directly?

No, you cannot add/subtract polar coordinates directly. You must first convert them to rectangular form before performing the addition/subtraction.

3. What is the advantage of using polar coordinates for addition/subtraction?

Polar coordinates make it easier to visualize and understand the geometric properties of addition/subtraction. They also make it easier to perform calculations involving angles and magnitudes.

4. Do I need to convert both coordinates to polar form before adding/subtracting?

No, you only need to convert one coordinate to polar form. The other coordinate can remain in rectangular form, as long as you use the correct formula for converting it to polar form.

5. Can I use the same rules for adding/subtracting in polar coordinates as I do for rectangular coordinates?

Yes, you can use the same rules for adding/subtracting in polar coordinates as you do for rectangular coordinates, as long as you convert the coordinates to their rectangular form first.