Converting this vector into polar form

In summary, the paper discusses the surface velocity of a moving, spherical particle, which is given by a summation of Legendre polynomials. They then provide an expression for the surface tangential velocity as a function of theta, which can be derived by converting the first vector into polar coordinates and taking the sum.
Rodger125
TL;DR Summary
I'd like to convert this surface velocity vector into the form I described. It might be just a matter of converting it into polar coords
In the following paper, the surface velocity for a moving, spherical particle is given as (eq 1):

$$\textbf{v}_s(\hat{\textbf{r}}) = \sum {2\over{{n(n+1)}}} B_n (\hat{\textbf{e}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}} \hat{\textbf{r}} - \hat{\textbf{e}}) P_n'( \hat{\textbf{e}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}})$$

where ##\hat{\textbf{r}}## is the preferred swimming axis (we consider that the sphere carries with it a fixed coordinate system that determines its preferred moving direction at each instant). ##\hat{\textbf{r}}## is a unit vector from the particle center to a point on the surface, we have the Legendre polynomials with $$P_n'$$ being the derivative of the n-th order Legendre polynomial, and $$B_n$$ is the amplitude of the corresponding mode.

They then (up to N=2) write the following expression for the surface tangential velocity, as a function of theta
$$\textbf{v}_s(\theta) = B_1 [sin(\theta) + {\alpha\over{2}} sin(2\theta)] \hat{\theta}$$
where $$\beta = B_2 / B_1$$.

How does one arrive at the second equation? Do you convert the first vector into polar coordinates? If so, how do you do this?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do not go into the mathematics but I am convinced that velocity of fluid at particle surface has no radial component. In fact
[tex] \mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \textbf{v}_s(\hat{\textbf{r}}) = \sum {2\over{{n(n+1)}}} B_n (\mathbf{\hat{r}}\cdot (\hat{\textbf{e}}\cdot \hat{\textbf{r}}) \hat{\textbf{r}} - \mathbf{\hat{r}}\cdot\hat{\textbf{e}}) P_n'( \hat{\textbf{e}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}}) =0 [/tex]
where
[tex]\mathbf{\hat{r}}\cdot \mathbf{\hat{r}}=1[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Rodger125
anuttarasammyak said:
I do not go into the mathematics but I am convinced that velocity of fluid at particle surface has no radial component. In fact
[tex] \mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \textbf{v}_s(\hat{\textbf{r}}) = \sum {2\over{{n(n+1)}}} B_n (\mathbf{\hat{r}}\cdot (\hat{\textbf{e}}\cdot \hat{\textbf{r}}) \hat{\textbf{r}} - \mathbf{\hat{r}}\cdot\hat{\textbf{e}}) P_n'( \hat{\textbf{e}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}}) =0 [/tex]
where
[tex]\mathbf{\hat{r}}\cdot \mathbf{\hat{r}}=1[/tex]
That would make sense, I think. If we have a coordinate system moving with the sphere, and the sphere does not change in radius, surely the radial velocity would be zero

Rodger125 said:
How does one arrive at the second equation? Do you convert the first vector into polar coordinates? If so, how do you do this?
The authors describe the polar angle as
$$
\hat r \cdot \hat e = \cos(\theta)
$$
Therefore taking the sum,
$$
\mathbf u^s (\hat r)=B_1(\cos(\theta)\hat r - \hat e)P_1^{'}(\cos(\theta))
$$
$$
+ \frac{1}{3} B_2(\cos(\theta)\hat r - \hat e)P_1^{'}(\cos(\theta))
$$
with
$$
P_1^{'}(\cos(\theta))=-\sin(\theta)
$$
$$
P_2^{'}(\cos(\theta))=-\frac{3}{2}\sin(2\theta)
$$
The sum becomes,
$$
-B_1(\cos(\theta)\hat r -\hat e)\sin(\theta) - \frac{1}{2} B_2(\cos(\theta)\hat r -\hat e)\sin(2\theta)
$$
The result follows if
$$
\cos(\theta)\hat r -\hat e=-\hat \theta
$$

Likes Rodger125
Fred Wright said:
The authors describe the polar angle as
$$
\hat r \cdot \hat e = \cos(\theta)
$$
Therefore taking the sum,
$$
\mathbf u^s (\hat r)=B_1(\cos(\theta)\hat r - \hat e)P_1^{'}(\cos(\theta))
$$
$$
+ \frac{1}{3} B_2(\cos(\theta)\hat r - \hat e)P_1^{'}(\cos(\theta))
$$
with
$$
P_1^{'}(\cos(\theta))=-\sin(\theta)
$$
$$
P_2^{'}(\cos(\theta))=-\frac{3}{2}\sin(2\theta)
$$
The sum becomes,
$$
-B_1(\cos(\theta)\hat r -\hat e)\sin(\theta) - \frac{1}{2} B_2(\cos(\theta)\hat r -\hat e)\sin(2\theta)
$$
The result follows if
$$
\cos(\theta)\hat r -\hat e=-\hat \theta
$$
Thank you!

1. What is the formula for converting a vector into polar form?

The formula for converting a vector into polar form is:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)

2. How do I determine the magnitude and direction of a vector in polar form?

The magnitude of a vector in polar form is represented by the value of r, which is the distance from the origin to the point where the vector ends. The direction of the vector is represented by the angle θ, which is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

3. Can a vector have a negative magnitude in polar form?

No, the magnitude of a vector in polar form is always a positive value. If the vector is pointing in the opposite direction, the angle θ will be adjusted accordingly to represent the direction.

4. How do I convert a vector with negative coordinates into polar form?

To convert a vector with negative coordinates into polar form, you can follow these steps:
1. Determine the value of r using the formula r = √(x² + y²)
2. Determine the value of θ using the formula θ = arctan(y/x)
3. If the vector is in the third or fourth quadrant, add π to the value of θ to account for the negative coordinates.

5. Can I convert a vector in polar form back to Cartesian form?

Yes, you can convert a vector in polar form back to Cartesian form using the following formulas:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)
where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in polar form.