Can You Solve This Challenging Related Rates Problem?

In summary, the problem was solved and the work was correct. A note was given about part c, suggesting to switch to radian mode and using the diagram to find the exact value of sec^2 \Theta. The original poster thanks everyone for their input and a reminder to not delete the original post for future reference.
bobraymund
Problem solved :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Really?? Haha, I had no idea what I was doing, honestly. If someone could double check my work, that'd be awesome. I know this is asking alot. :p

I worked it out myself. Everything is correct. I would add a couple of notes about part c: You might want to switch your calculator to radian mode if you used a calculator to find arctan (5/12) just to be on the safe side. IMHO, there is never really any reason to choose to work in degree mode unless a problem is written that way or the answer needs to be in degrees. Also, it seems like you used the diagram to obtain the exact value of sec2 [tex]\Theta[/tex]. That was a good choice (better than using any decimal approximation you obtained earlier). Also, not that it matters, but you could express 1/sec2 [tex]\Theta[/tex] as cos2 [tex]\Theta[/tex] if it would make it simpler for you to work with.

Everything was correct, but I wanted you to be able to see these things. Good Job.

Thanks Bear B for the input. Yeah, I caught myself doing it in DEG, because I was previously using it for my physics homework.

That is interesting that you point out I could have used the diagram to find the value of sec^2... I didn't do that, but just did right now and obtained the same answer. Thanks for pointing that out though, very interesting.

Thanks everyone. :)

In the future I recommend not editing your original post so that the problem disappears. While you are done being helped, there's some chance that someone else might be able to learn something from the discussion of your problem.

What is a "Hard Related Rates Problem"?

A hard related rates problem is a type of problem in calculus where the rate of change of one variable is dependent on the rate of change of another related variable. These problems often involve multiple variables and require the use of advanced calculus techniques to solve.

What are some common examples of "Hard Related Rates Problems"?

Some common examples of hard related rates problems include problems involving changing geometric shapes, fluid flow rates, and related motion problems. These types of problems can be found in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do I approach solving a "Hard Related Rates Problem"?

To solve a hard related rates problem, you will need to first identify all the known and unknown variables. Then, use the given information and the related rates formula to set up an equation. Finally, use calculus techniques such as implicit differentiation and the chain rule to solve for the desired variable.

What are some tips for solving "Hard Related Rates Problems"?

Some tips for solving hard related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, labeling all variables and their rates of change, and setting up equations using the related rates formula. It is also helpful to use units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving "Hard Related Rates Problems"?

One common mistake to avoid when solving hard related rates problems is mixing up the variables and their rates of change. It is important to keep track of which variables are changing and which are constant. Additionally, be careful when using the chain rule and make sure to properly differentiate each variable.