Nuclear Chemistry (determing masses from radioactive decay)

In summary, the conversation discusses the hydrolysis of a protein and the addition of a 2.80 mg sample of 14C-labeled threonine. The activity of the sample is measured and a chromatographic separation is carried out to obtain a pure threonine sample. The fraction of threonine separated and the total amount of threonine in the sample are calculated using the molar mass and decay constant. The decay constant for the small sample is found to be 1.375E-16 and the recovered mass of threonine is 0.789g. However, the next steps in the calculation are unclear.
Quickman08
I have been trying for quite some while but I can't seem to get this problem off the ground.1)Suppose that you hydrolyze 4.644 grams of a protein to form a mixture of different amino acids. To this is added a 2.80 mg sample of 14C-labeled threonine (one of the amino acids present).The activity of this small sample is 1950 dpm. A chromatographic separation of the amino acids is carried out, and a small sample of pure threonine is separated. This sample has an activity of 550 dpm. What fraction of the threonine present was separated? What is the total amount of threonine in the sample?

2)
I know that 1950dpm= 8.783E-10Ci and 550dpm=2.477E-10Ci
I am not sure if you need it but the molar mass of Threonine is 119.12 g mol−1
Also A=Lambda(N)
m=(N/Ao)*(MM)
A=radioactive mass units
Lambda=decay constant
N=number of atoms
Ao=avogadro's number
MM=molar mass3.
I have found the decay constant for the small sample of 2.80mg to be 1.375E-16
So if you take the 550dpm sample you can obtain a mass of .789g
Unfortunately once this mass is obtained I cannot figure out where to go from this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about decay, assume sample activity is constant. It never is, but if half lives are long enough, that's a valid assumption.

You started with 1950 dpm, you have 550 dpm. What part of the radioactive threonine was recovered?

1. What is nuclear chemistry?

Nuclear chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of nuclear reactions and the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei.

2. How is mass determined from radioactive decay?

Mass is determined from radioactive decay through the use of the mass-energy equivalence equation, E=mc^2. By measuring the energy released during radioactive decay, the mass of the decaying nucleus can be calculated.

3. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a radioactive sample to undergo decay. It is a constant value for a particular isotope, and can be used to determine the age of a sample or the rate of decay.

4. How is radioactivity measured?

Radioactivity is measured using a device called a Geiger counter, which detects and counts the number of radioactive particles emitted from a sample. The results are typically given in units of becquerels (Bq), which represent the number of decays per second.

5. What are some practical applications of nuclear chemistry?

Nuclear chemistry has many practical applications, including nuclear power generation, medical imaging and treatments, carbon dating for archaeology, and food preservation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the origins and evolution of the universe.