Nuclear equation of the decay, decay constant, # of atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of iodine 131, a radioactive isotope that emits a single negatively charged particle and decays into xenon 131. The decay constant of iodine 131 is determined using a graph of its activity over time, and the number of iodine atoms in the original sample can be calculated using the decay equation. The nuclear equation for the decay is 13152I → 13153Xe + 0-1β.
moenste

Homework Statement

A sample of iodine contains 1 atom of the radioactive isotope iodine 131 (131I) for every 5 * 107 atoms of the stable isotope iodine-127. Iodine has a proton number of 52 and the radioactive isotope decays into xenon 131 (131Xe) with the emission of a single negatively charged particle.

(a) What particle is emitted when iodine 131 decays? Write the nuclear equation which represents the decay.

(b) The diagram shows how the activity of a freshly prepared sample of the iodine varies with time. Use the graph to determine the decay constant of iodine 131. Give your answer in s-1.

f850032ffa6a.jpg

(c) Determine the number of iodine atoms in the original sample.

Answers: (b) 1.0 * 10-6 s-1, (c) 1.0 * 1018

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) Is it something like: 13152I → 12752I → 131?Xe?

(b) N = N0 e-λ t, where the decay consant is λ, N = remaining number of atoms, N0 = original number of atoms, t = time.

We have N0 = 5 * 107 atoms, how do we find N?

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
(b) N = N0 e-λ t, where the decay consant is λ, N = remaining number of atoms, N0 = original number of atoms, t = time.

We have N0 = 5 * 107 atoms, how do we find N?
You do not have that N0 = 5 x 107 atoms. You are asking how to find N0.

The graph has some useful information. It is expressed in units of Bequerels. If you are a dummy like myself you could Google that unit.

If you have a rate of decay in decays per second and you have already calculated a rate of decay in decays per nucleon per second, the next step seems obvious.

jbriggs444 said:
You do not have that N0 = 5 x 107 atoms. You are asking how to find N0.

The graph has some useful information. It is expressed in units of Bequerels. If you are a dummy like myself you could Google that unit.

If you have a rate of decay in decays per second and you have already calculated a rate of decay in decays per nucleon per second, the next step seems obvious.
So: ln N / N0 = - λ t. I take N = 0.5 * 104 Bq, N0 = 5 * 107 atoms, t = 16 days = 1 382 400 s.

So: ln 0.5 * 104 / 5 * 107 = - λ * 1 382 400 → λ = 6.66 * 10-6 s-1.

an important relationship you should know...text book stuff is that
decay constant λ = (ln2)/ t1/2 ... t1/2 = half life
or, if you prefer it t1/2 = (ln2)/λ

Likes moenste
lychette said:
an important relationship you should know...text book stuff is that
decay constant λ = (ln2)/ t1/2 ... t1/2 = half life
or, if you prefer it t1/2 = (ln2)/λ
But we don't know half-life.

moenste said:
But we don't know half-life.
you have a graph !

Likes moenste
lychette said:
you have a graph !
It shows activity per time, not half-life.

the activity is decreasing with time...do you understand what 'half life' means in radioactive decay ?

Likes moenste
lychette said:
the activity is decreasing with time...do you understand what 'half life' means in radioactive decay ?
The time required to lower the activity of the sample to half of the original value?

yes

Likes moenste
lychette said:
yes
Activity 1 * 104 Bq with time 8 days → = 691 200 s.

λ = ln 2 / 691 200 = 1 * 10-6 s-1. Should be correct?

moenste said:
Activity 1 * 104 Bq with time 8 days → = 691 200 s.

λ = ln 2 / 691 200 = 1 * 10-6 s-1. Should be correct?
ideally you should take a few values of half life and get an average
you have gone from 2 to 1 x 104Bq
you could go ,from 1 to 0.5 0r any other combination...as long as it is 1/2
you have changed days into seconds...this is good !

Likes moenste
lychette said:
ideally you should take a few values of half life and get an average
you have gone from 2 to 1 x 104Bq
you could go ,from 1 to 0.5 0r any other combination...as long as it is 1/2
you have changed days into seconds...this is good !
Could you suggest what to do in (a)?
moenste said:
(a) What particle is emitted when iodine 131 decays? Write the nuclear equation which represents the decay.
Is it something like: 13152I → 12752I → 131?Xe?

I know α, β and γ particles, is this the situation when they are applicable? Like 13152I → 12750I + 42α? But how do I approach 131?Xe then?

And if it's not these particles, what should be done?

moenste said:
Could you suggest what to do in (a)?

Is it something like: 13152I → 12752I → 131?Xe?

I know α, β and γ particles, is this the situation when they are applicable? Like 13152I → 12750I + 42α? But how do I approach 131?Xe then?

And if it's not these particles, what should be done?

It is the isotope Iodine131 that decays to Xenon131 so the nucleus contains the same number of nucleons ( protons + neutrons)
A negative particle was emitted...any ideas what the negative particle is and how this changes atomic number and nucleon number (mass number) of the nucleus?

Likes moenste
lychette said:

It is the isotope Iodine131 that decays to Xenon131 so the nucleus contains the same number of nucleons ( protons + neutrons)
A negative particle was emitted...any ideas what the negative particle is and how this changes atomic number and nucleon number (mass number) of the nucleus?
So it is: 13152I → 13153Xe + 0-1β. Correct?

But why do they say something about
moenste said:
A sample of iodine contains 1 atom of the radioactive isotope iodine 131 (131I) for every 5 * 107 atoms of the stable isotope iodine-127. Iodine has a proton number of 52
some "isotope iodine-127" and etc. I thought that the 131 sample decays to 127 sample and then decays to 131 Xe.

And also what to do in (c)?
moenste said:
(c) Determine the number of iodine atoms in the original sample.
N = N0 e-λ t, where the decay consant is λ, N = remaining number of atoms, N0 = original number of atoms, t = time. We need to find N0, but what is the current number of atoms N?

I also tried to use dN / dt = - λ N to find N, where dN / dt = 1 * 104 Bq activity and λ = 1 * 10-6 s-1, but that gives 1010, not 1018 as in the answer.

Last edited:
moenste said:

But why do they say something about

some "isotope iodine-127" and etc. I thought that the 131 sample decays to 127 sample and then decays to 131 Xe.

And also what to do in (c)?

N = N0 e-λ t, where the decay consant is λ, N = remaining number of atoms, N0 = original number of atoms, t = time. We need to find N0, but what is the current number of atoms N?

I also tried to use dN / dt = - λ N to find N, where dN / dt = 1 * 104 Bq activity and λ = 1 * 10-6 s-1, but that gives 1010, not 1018 as in the answer.

You have it correct. The information is needed for part (c)
They want the total number of iodine atoms...not just the radioactive ones. They have told you the proportion of atoms that are radioactive

Likes moenste
Just a note on the question accuracy -
moenste said:
Iodine has a proton number of 52 and the radioactive isotope decays into xenon 131 (131Xe)
Looks like a typo in the question. According to my periodic table Iodine has a proton number of 53, not 52. Xenon has a proton number of 54. So the transition from Iodine to Xenon involves the number of protons going from 53 to 54.

This revelation won't change the type of particle emitted, but it will make your transition equation more realistic.

moenste said:
Just bump the proton numbers up by one on the atoms.

Likes lychette and moenste
lychette said:
You have it correct. The information is needed for part (c)
They want the total number of iodine atoms...not just the radioactive ones. They have told you the proportion of atoms that are radioactive
gneill said:

Looks like a typo in the question. According to my periodic table Iodine has a proton number of 53, not 52. Xenon has a proton number of 54. So the transition from Iodine to Xenon involves the number of protons going from 53 to 54.

This revelation won't change the type of particle emitted, but it will make your transition equation more realistic.Just bump the proton numbers up by one on the atoms.
So, for (c):
We have 1 atom of radioactive iodine 131 for every 5 * 107 atoms of stable isotope. But it's just one atom, we don't know how much atoms are there in total.

In N = N0 e-λ t -- how to find N so it would be possible to calculate N0?

moenste said:
So, for (c):
We have 1 atom of radioactive iodine 131 for every 5 * 107 atoms of stable isotope. But it's just one atom, we don't know how much atoms are there in total.

In N = N0 e-λ t -- how to find N so it would be possible to calculate N0?
Your approach using the derivative in post #15 was fine. You found the number of radioactive atoms in the original sample. Each of those atoms will be accompanied by 5 * 107 atoms of stable isotope.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
Your approach using the derivative in post #15 was fine. You found the number of radioactive atoms in the original sample. Each of those atoms will be accompanied by 5 * 107 atoms of stable isotope.
But 1010 * 5 * 107 = 5 * 1017, not 1 * 1018.

moenste said:
But 1010 * 5 * 107 = 5 * 1017, not 1 * 1018.
Why did you choose to use 1.0 x 104 Bq as the activity at time zero when you were calculating No? What does the graph say?

Likes moenste
gneill said:
Why did you choose to use 1.0 x 104 Bq as the activity at time zero when you were calculating No? What does the graph say?
It's when the activity falls to 50 % of the original value and we can use our decay constant found in (b).

moenste said:
It's when the activity falls to 50 % of the original value and we can use our decay constant found in (b).
Well that's wrong :smile:. The initial sample is the sample that existed at time zero, at the start of the chart.

You used the half activity time to find the decay constant, which is fine, but that does not make the half activity point the initial sample.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
Well that's wrong :smile:. The initial sample is the sample that existed at time zero, at the start of the chart.

You used the half activity time to find the decay constant, which is fine, but that does not make the half activity point the initial sample.
Hm, so in that case: λ = 1 * 10-6 s-1, dN / dt = - λ N, where N = ? and dN / dt = 2 * 104 Bq (initial activity).

N = (2 * 104) / (1 * 10-6) = 2 * 1010 atoms of the radioactive isotope iodine 131. We need to determine the number of iodine atoms in the original sample of the stable isotope iodine 127, so: 2 * 1010 * 5 * 107 = 1 * 1018 atoms.

gneill said:

This revelation won't change the type of particle emitted, but it will make your transition equation more realistic.Just bump the proton numbers up by one on the atoms.

Well spotted, I also checked atomic numbers

Likes moenste

1. What is a nuclear decay equation?

A nuclear decay equation is a mathematical representation of the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation. It shows the initial and final states of the nucleus, as well as the type and energy of the emitted radiation.

2. What is the decay constant in a nuclear equation?

The decay constant, denoted by the symbol λ (lambda), is a measure of the rate at which a particular type of radioactive atom decays. It is equal to the probability of decay per unit time for a single atom of the given isotope.

3. How is the number of atoms related to the decay constant?

The number of atoms remaining in a radioactive sample after a certain amount of time is directly proportional to the decay constant. This means that as the decay constant increases, the number of atoms in the sample decreases at a faster rate.

4. How do you calculate the decay constant?

The decay constant can be calculated using the equation λ = ln(2)/t1/2, where t1/2 is the half-life of the isotope. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay.

5. Can the decay constant change over time?

No, the decay constant is a constant value for a specific isotope and does not change over time. However, the number of atoms in a sample and the rate of decay will change over time as the sample decays.