Exploring the EMF of Guitar Pickup Coils

In summary, electric guitar pickups use a coil of thousands of turns with a magnet in the middle. When the string is vibrated, the magnet moves and creates a varying magnetic field, which is detected by the coil. There is no difference between a coil with only air and a coil with a magnet, as long as the string is magnetized in the same way.
yungman
I have a discussion on how guitar pickup work, pickup is a coil with thousands of turns and magnet poles in the middle of the coil under each strings. My idea is the magnet poles magnetize a short portion of the string and when the string vibrates, it create a varying magnetic field. When the field cross the cross section area of the coil, a voltage is induced in the coil according to Faraday's law of magnetic induction. My theory is there is no difference whether the coil has magnet or only air regarding to sensing the magnetic field from the string. The magnet and the coil do two separate function. The magnet magnetize the short section of the string, the coil produce EMF from the magnetic field from the string. So as long as the string is being magnetized the same way, the coil can be air or magnet and it work the same.

I want to find out what is the difference between induced EMF of a coil with core of different materials in the presence of external magnetic field. I know

[tex] EMF= -\frac {\partial \Phi}{\partial t} \;\hbox { where } \Phi = \int_S \vec B \cdot d \vec s[/tex]

From the equation, B is external magnetic field, the EMF is the rate of change in flux that pass through the cross section area of the coil.

Assume the coil has certain height and have many turns, what is the difference between the same coil with air core, a ferro magnetic material core and a magnetic core( core make of magnet).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

In respect to the above post, what effect will an oscillating ferromagentic material above the coil have on said coils.(ie. guitar string) And what would the effect of the oscillating ferromagnetic material have on the said coils if magnetized from an outside source. (if magnets were placed above guitar string, outside of coil as opposed to within the coil)

Guitar pickups must contain a magnet, a coil surrounds the magnet and any voltage induced in the coil is the voltage that is amplified.
Electric guitar strings contain steel and the vibrating steel in the magnetic field produces changes in the magnetic field through the coil... an emf is induced and amplified.
If there are no magnets there will be no magnetic field.

technician said:
Guitar pickups must contain a magnet, a coil surrounds the magnet and any voltage induced in the coil is the voltage that is amplified.
Electric guitar strings contain steel and the vibrating steel in the magnetic field produces changes in the magnetic field through the coil... an emf is induced and amplified.
If there are no magnets there will be no magnetic field.

Yes we know that, question is what is the mechanism. My theory is the magnet magnetize a short section of the string and when the string vibrates, the induced magnet start moving and create a varying magnetic field and the coil sense the varying magnetic field.

My point is it is a two step mechanism not relate to each other. The coil can sense the vibration of the string as long as it is magnetized. The coil don't need to have magnet to sense the strings. In another word, you can use an external magnet to magnetize the string on top of a coil WITHOUT magnet and it works the same. Is this true?

Anyone have an opinion. The debate is about how the pickup produce the signal. I believe that the magnet pole magnetize the section of the string and when the string move, the varying magnetic field inducing an EMF in the coil. As long as the strings are magnetized, the coil will pick up the signal with or without the magnet. I do believe a ferro magnetic pole will help gather the flux to go down the coil. but whether it is magnetized or not don't make no difference.

The other theory is different, it claims the magnet establish a field pattern and the ferro magnetic string movement change the field lines and cause the signal in the coil. To me, changing the field lines don't change the amount of flux going through, the effect would have to be secondary, unlike the idea that the magnetized string moving and produce a varying magnetic field and the field is actually changing with time.

1. What is EMF and how does it relate to guitar pickup coils?

Electromotive force (EMF) is the voltage generated by a changing magnetic field. In the case of guitar pickup coils, the vibrations of the strings create a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the coils. This voltage is then amplified and sent to the speakers, creating the sound of the guitar.

2. How do guitar pickup coils differ from other types of coils?

Guitar pickup coils are designed specifically to capture the vibrations of guitar strings and convert them into an electrical signal. They typically have a higher number of windings and use a specific type of wire to achieve a desired tone. Other types of coils may have different purposes, such as inductors for filtering or transformers for stepping up or down voltage.

3. Can the EMF of guitar pickup coils be affected by external factors?

Yes, the EMF of guitar pickup coils can be affected by various external factors such as the type of strings used, the distance between the strings and the pickup, and the type of amplifier being used. Even the player's technique and playing style can impact the EMF of the pickup coils.

4. How can one measure the EMF of guitar pickup coils?

The EMF of guitar pickup coils can be measured using a multimeter or an oscilloscope. Both tools can measure the voltage produced by the pickup coils, with an oscilloscope providing a visual representation of the waveform. There are also software programs available that can analyze the EMF of guitar pickup coils using a computer and audio interface.

5. Can the EMF of guitar pickup coils be adjusted or modified?

Yes, the EMF of guitar pickup coils can be adjusted and modified through various techniques such as changing the number of windings, using different types of wire, or adjusting the distance between the coils and the strings. These modifications can alter the tone and output of the pickup, allowing for a customized sound.