Solving Simultaneous Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simultaneously solve two equations for c_1 and c_2 in terms of y and y'. The method suggested is to multiply the first equation by r_2 and subtract it from the second equation, and then to multiply the first equation by r_1 and subtract it from the second equation. The resulting equations for c_1 and c_2 are c_1 = \frac{[y'-yr_2]}{r_1-r_2}e^{-r_1t_o} and c_2 = \frac{[y'-yr_1]}{r_2-r_1}e^{-r_2t_o}.
Nano-Passion
I need help solving these two equations simultaneously

[itex] y = c_1e^{r_1t_o}+c_2e^{r_2t_o}[/itex]

[itex]y' = c_1r_1e^{r_1t_o}+c_2r_2e^{r_2t_o}[/itex] My plan of solving these two equations is by substitution. By rearranging I obtain the following:

[itex]c_1 = [y-c_2e^{r_2t_o}]e^{-r_1t_o}[/itex]
[itex]c_1= \frac{[y' -c_2r_2e^{r_2t_o}]e^{-r_1t_o}}{r_1}[/itex]

Likewise,

[itex]c_2=[y-C_1e^{r_1t_o}]e^{-r_2t_o}[/itex]
[itex]c_2=\frac{[y'-c_1r_1e^{r_1e^r_1t_o}]e^{-r_2t_o}}{r_2}[/itex]

Don't know what to do from here. :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't see how these are two simultaneous equations. It's just the one equation you have for y and then you have its derivative with respect to t0 below it...

Marioeden[I said:
;3997417]Sorry, I don't see how these are two simultaneous equations. It's just the one equation you have for y and then you have its derivative with respect to t0 below it...

No, I am are trying to simultaneously solve from equations y & y' for c_1 & c_2. [/I]

ah right, you want c1 and c2 in terms of y and y'

So like multiply the first equation by r2 and subtract them, then you'll get c1. Do the same thing but multiply the first equation by r1 instead and subtract them and you'll get c2 :)

Edit: Fixing Mistake

Marioeden said:
ah right, you want c1 and c2 in terms of y and y'

So like multiply the first equation by r2 and subtract them, then you'll get c1.

Okay so I get

[itex]c_1 = \frac{[y'-yr_2]}{r_2-r_1}e^{-r_1t_o}[/itex]

The book gets the same answer but with r_1-r_2 in the denominator. Any ideas why? As long as I subtract the first equation from the second, I will always get r_2-r_1.

P.s. I'll solve the other half after I grab some food.

Last edited:
You may want to double check your algebra, the book is right...

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations?

The purpose of solving simultaneous equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations. This can help in solving problems involving multiple variables and finding the intersection points of two or more linear equations.

What are the methods used to solve simultaneous equations?

The two most common methods used to solve simultaneous equations are the elimination method and the substitution method. In the elimination method, one variable is eliminated by adding or subtracting the equations, while in the substitution method, one equation is solved for a variable and then substituted into the other equation.

Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables, but the number of equations must be equal to the number of variables in order for the system to be solved.

What are some real-life applications of solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. It can be used to find the intersection point of two lines, optimize a system of equations, or model real-life situations involving multiple variables.