Can we cool off on the warnings?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Hoku
  • Start date
In summary, a user received a "General Information" warning for posting a thread in the wrong sub-forum. This warning is not meant to be threatening or to bring the user closer to being kicked off the forums. It is simply a courtesy message to let them know their thread was being moved and why. Although the language of the warning may be scary, it cannot be changed due to restrictions from the hosting provider. However, there are plugins available that can send a friendlier message when a thread is moved.
Hoku
Posting something to the wrong sub-forum can be an easy mistake that doesn't warrant a "warning". My thread "How does science maintain cohesion?", I think, makes a good discussion. I was told it should go in the "General Discussion" sub-forum and not "General Physics". The reason I didn't put it there in the first place was because the General Discussion sub-forum specifically says, "Topics outside the realm of science and tech". My thread contains a topic WITHIN the realm of science, not outside of it. Therefore, it clearly doesn't belong in General Discussion. I would've put it in "General Science" if that sub-forum existed, but it doesn't, so I made my best choice. You seriously give people warnings, thus bringing them closer to being kicked off the forums, for making their best judgement call? I think there are better, less threatening ways to approach this. I know we're "scientists" and all, but can we also try to maintain some humanity?

Physics news on Phys.org
You received a "General Information" warning which is basically a heads up from the mentor to let you know that your thread was being moved and why. There are no points, so there is nothing "bringing you closer to being kicked off".

Think of it as a courtesy. :smile:

That's good to know Evo, and thanks for the clarification. I know people DO get kicked out of the forums, so it's a reasonable concern. Still, my suggestion stands on maybe changing the approach. Instead of the scary, "You have received a warning", maybe the policy could be changed to "This is a courtesy"? Small things like that can help keep us all feeling good about being here. :shy:

Hoku said:
That's good to know Evo, and thanks for the clarification. I know people DO get kicked out of the forums, so it's a reasonable concern. Still, my suggestion stands on maybe changing the approach. Instead of the scary, "You have received a warning", maybe the policy could be changed to "This is a courtesy"? Small things like that can help keep us all feeling good about being here. :shy:

Yes, you are completely right. The "you have received a warning" is not a good message. However, the forum software doesn't allow you to actually change this message. So we're kind of stuck with the scary "warning" message.

Hoku said:
Still, my suggestion stands on maybe changing the approach. Instead of the scary, "You have received a warning", maybe the policy could be changed to "This is a courtesy"? Small things like that can help keep us all feeling good about being here. :shy:
We agree, but as Micromass mentioned, we've been advised it's not something we can change.

[STRIKE]vbulletin doesn't have a module for it? I find that very surprising.[/STRIKE] Edit: it does have plugins for it.

Is this a restriction from the hosting provider?

rorix_bw said:
[STRIKE]vbulletin doesn't have a module for it? I find that very surprising.[/STRIKE] Edit: it does have plugins for it.

Is this a restriction from the hosting provider?

Please provide a link and we'll consider it, thanks

rorix_bw said:
Found this one - "sends friendly message to user, when user's thread is moved"

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=225619

That's for 3.8, which is what this site says it is running (view page soruce for this page says 3.8.7)

There's literally *thousands* of plugins for vbulletin. Look under here

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/foru...nctions&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

for moderator function plugins for 3.8

There's others too that arent hosted on the official repo.
What we're discussing is a general information warning with a little softer message.

WARNING!
In spite of the first line of this post, it is by no means a warning, just a courtesy message.

1. Can we really cool off on the warnings?

The answer to this question depends on the context. If the warnings are related to a specific event or situation, then it may be possible to cool off on them by addressing the underlying issue. However, if the warnings are related to a long-term problem, such as climate change, then it may not be possible to immediately cool off on them.

2. Why do we need warnings in the first place?

Warnings serve an important purpose in keeping individuals and communities safe. They provide information about potential dangers or risks, allowing people to take appropriate actions to protect themselves. Without warnings, people may be caught off guard and unable to react in time.

3. What happens if we ignore warnings?

Ignoring warnings can have serious consequences, including injury or even death. Warnings are often based on scientific evidence and are meant to help people make informed decisions. Ignoring warnings can also lead to further damage or worsening of a situation.

4. How can we determine if warnings are accurate?

Warnings are typically based on scientific research and data analysis. They are often issued by government agencies or other authoritative sources. To determine if warnings are accurate, it is important to check the source of the warning and verify the information through multiple reputable sources.

5. Is there anything we can do to prevent warnings from being necessary?

In some cases, yes. For example, taking preventative measures such as installing early warning systems or implementing safety protocols can help reduce the need for warnings. However, in other situations, such as natural disasters, warnings may be unavoidable and it is important to heed them to stay safe.