Lubrication - is fine machine oil better ?

In summary, there is a debate on gun forums regarding whether lubricants marked for firearms are better than motor oil or cheaper automotive lubricants. Some people prefer using lubricants specifically designed for guns, citing their finer texture and potential inclusion of anti-corrosion compounds. However, others argue that in a pinch, motor oil can be used as a substitute. It is important to note that different types of lubricants (oil, grease, dry film) have different purposes and should be chosen accordingly. Additionally, it is not recommended to use any type of oil, including WD-40, in a lock as it can attract dirt and grime and cause malfunctions. Graphite powder is a better option for lock lubrication.
Skrew
Lubrication -- is fine machine oil "better"?

So there is always a debate on gun forums over if lubricants marked for firearms are better then motor oil or cheaper automotive lubricants.

I'm curious if anyone here has any hard information on the differences and what is better?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Skrew said:
So there is always a debate on gun forums over if lubricants marked for firearms are better then motor oil or cheaper automotive lubricants.

I'm curious if anyone here has any hard information on the differences and what is better?
Such lubricants, whether for firearms or small appliances, are of very "fine texture". That's not a proper term, but it conveys what I mean. There's low viscosity, and thus very small droplet size. An extreme example is WD40. You would be amazed at how many people don't realize that it's oil. A lot of them think that it's silicone or Teflon or some other exotic substance.
By the bye, don't ever use any type of oil in a lock, including WD40. (Free advice from a professional locksmith.)
Although I'm not sure, I suppose that gun oils might also contain anti-corrosion compounds in addition to that natural quality of petroleum products.

Skrew said:

"Better" is relative. I imagine the debates you speak of relate to the use of motor oil in firearms, rather than the other way 'round -- A lubricant designed for firearms isn't going to work very well in a car's engine.

If nothing else is available, motor oil would be preferable to leaving the mechanism dry. However, motor oil isn't designed to sit on a static surface as a corrosion preventative, as many gun oils are. Motor oils typically also have much greater viscosity preventing them from easily wicking into all the tight little spaces. One also has to consider the type of lubrication (oil, grease, dry film). A lubrication engineer could expand on this whole topic considerably.

"By the bye, don't ever use any type of oil in a lock, including WD40. (Free advice from a professional locksmith.)"

I'm not doubting that it's good advice, but why?

In my experience dry lubricants like graphite powder don't collect dirt and grime, where as oil such as WD-40 will collect these things and over time you'll actually be worse off.

WD-40 will strip other lubricants out of your firearm. Not good. It is a really good solvent, but not a good lubricant for firearms.

Years back, a whole generation of vets were returning from VietNam with a devotion to graphite grease (Gunslick, in particular). My father bought a Remington 742 really cheap that way. Deer-hunting in very cold weather was a strain on graphite greased actions, since it thickened and caused jams. Tear down the rifle, clean it and re-lubricate with a light oil -sewing machine oil is fine - and you're good to go.

Mech_Engineer said:
In my experience dry lubricants like graphite powder don't collect dirt and grime, where as oil such as WD-40 will collect these things and over time you'll actually be worse off.

Quite right. The collected dust turns into mud, and eventually into cement. It's particularly nasty if the lock is installed upside-down, which occurs with disturbing regularity. Graphite powder is the proper lubricant (not the graphite grease that Turbo mentioned). If oil gets in, soak the thing in alcohol (preferably disassembled), then lube it with graphite after it's dry. Silicone or Teflon sprays are acceptable as well, but they're generally too expensive to bother with. If you're wondering about where to get graphite, just hit your local auto parts store and ask for a tube of speedometer cable lube. A 100 year supply should cost about $3.00, and there's no expiry date. (I used the stuff in every lock that I ever worked on in my 17-year career, and went through 2 tubes in addition to the "puffer gun" that came with my college course kit. Just before I retired I bought a 1/2 kg can, and have no idea what to do with it.)
I should specify here that I'm referring to the pin cells of locks, where the key goes in. It's okay to use oil on the bolts.

1. Is fine machine oil the best type of lubricant for all machines?

No, fine machine oil may not be the best type of lubricant for all machines. Different machines may require different types of lubricants depending on their specific needs and operating conditions.

2. What are the benefits of using fine machine oil as a lubricant?

Fine machine oil can help reduce friction and wear between moving parts, improve overall machine performance and efficiency, and extend the lifespan of the machine.

3. How often should fine machine oil be applied?

The frequency of applying fine machine oil will depend on the type of machine, its usage, and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, it is recommended to lubricate machines regularly, especially before and after heavy use.

4. Are there any downsides to using fine machine oil as a lubricant?

While fine machine oil can provide many benefits, it may not be suitable for certain environments or extreme temperatures. It is important to select the appropriate type of lubricant for each machine to ensure optimal performance.

5. Can fine machine oil be used as a substitute for other types of lubricants?

In some cases, fine machine oil can be used as a substitute for other types of lubricants, but it is always best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Using the wrong type of lubricant can potentially damage the machine and decrease its performance.