How Is Torque Generated by Friction on a Rotating Disc Calculated?

In summary, the torque generated by friction on a spinning circular disc of uniform density lying flat against a table with coefficient of friction μ can be found using the formula τ=Fxr. The force on a differential element can be calculated as μ g dm, where μ is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and dm is related to dV (volume) and exploits symmetry. The friction force always acts opposite to the velocity vector and the friction torque always twists in the opposite direction to the angular velocity. The limits of integration depend on how dm is defined.
johnysmithers
If I have a spinning circular disc of uniform density, how would I find the torque generated by friction, if the disc is lying flat against a table with coefficient of friction μ? τ=Fxr, but what is F, and what is r in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

You use calculus ... divide the disk into narrow rings.

Thank you Mr. Bridge, for your reply. I am still confused however, as towhat the force on a differential element would be. The friction force would be μ N=μ m g(or would it be μ g dm?) The friction force would always act perpendicular to position, so torque would be upward with magnitude equal to the product of the distance from the center and the force. However, I am not sure what I would be integrating with respect to, and I am also unsure as to what the bounds on the integration would be. Please clarify? Thank you in advance.

That would be:
##d\tau = \mu g r \text{d}m##

The limits of the integration depend on how you define dm ...
hint: relate dm to dV (volume) and exploit the symmetry.

Friction force always acts opposite to the velocity vector.
Friction torque always twists the opposite way to the angular velocity.

The torque generated by friction on a rotating disc can be calculated using the equation τ=Fxr, where F is the force of friction and r is the radius of the disc. In this case, the force of friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction (μ) by the normal force (N) exerted on the disc by the table. The normal force is equal to the weight of the disc, which can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the disc by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Once the force of friction is determined, the radius of the disc can be used to calculate the distance (r) from the center of the disc to the point where the force of friction is acting. This distance is typically equal to half the diameter of the disc.

Once you have the force of friction and the distance from the center, you can calculate the torque generated by friction on the rotating disc. It is important to note that this equation assumes that the disc is rotating at a constant angular velocity and that the coefficient of friction remains constant throughout the rotation. Any changes in these parameters may affect the calculation of torque.

1. What is friction on a rotating disc?

Friction on a rotating disc is the resistance or force that opposes the movement of the disc as it rotates. It occurs due to the contact between the disc and the surface it is rotating on.

2. How does friction affect the rotation of a disc?

Friction can slow down or reduce the speed of rotation of a disc. It also causes wear and tear on the disc, which can eventually lead to a decrease in its rotational speed.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a rotating disc?

The amount of friction on a rotating disc is affected by the type of material the disc is made of, the surface it is rotating on, and the force with which it is rotating.

4. How can friction on a rotating disc be reduced?

Friction on a rotating disc can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the disc and the surface it is rotating on. Additionally, using materials with low friction coefficients can also help reduce friction.

5. What are the practical applications of studying friction on a rotating disc?

Studying friction on a rotating disc has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and material science. It helps in designing and improving the performance of rotating machinery, understanding the behavior of materials under frictional forces, and developing effective lubrication strategies.