Accelerating a micron size particle in an air stream

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of micrometer-sized particles when added to an air stream in a vertical tube attached to a vacuum system. The approximate calculation for the particle velocity is given by the Stokes drag law and the characteristic relaxation timescale. It is estimated that the particles will reach the same velocity as the air stream in approximately 3 microseconds. The question is whether the length of the tube is enough to achieve this.
furrygerbil
Hi,

I have a 1m long, 10mm ID vertical tube attached to a vacuum system. I have a known flow rate of the air down the tube which is used to calculate the air velocity.

My question is if I then add micrometre sized particles (initially at rest) to the air stream what is their velocity at the end of the tube?

I know that eventually the particles will reach the same velocity as the air stream they are suspended in but is the tube long enough to achieve this?

I have spent a long time googling various ideas about this and have drawn a blank on a simple solution and it might not even be possible (simply), so I hand the question over to the collective wisdom of Physics Forums :)

Kind Regards

Craig

Physics news on Phys.org
the particle velocity can be approximated by:
[itex]\frac{du_p}{dt}=\frac{1}{\tau_p}(u-u_p)[/itex],
with u the air velocity and characteristic relaxation timescale is given by Stokes drag law:
[itex]\tau_p = \frac{\rho d_p^2}{18\mu}[/itex]

if you have a 1 micron particle. the relaxation time is 3 microseconds, so you expect the particle to reach the air velocity in approximately this time.

What is the purpose of accelerating a micron size particle in an air stream?

The purpose of accelerating a micron size particle in an air stream is to increase its velocity and momentum, allowing it to travel further and with more force. This is useful in a variety of applications, such as creating a more efficient air filtration system or propelling particles in industrial processes.

How is a micron size particle accelerated in an air stream?

A micron size particle can be accelerated in an air stream through various methods, such as using a nozzle or a pump to increase the air pressure, or using electromagnetic fields to attract or repel the particle. The chosen method will depend on the specific properties and goals of the experiment or application.

What factors affect the acceleration of a micron size particle in an air stream?

The acceleration of a micron size particle in an air stream can be influenced by factors such as the size and shape of the particle, the air pressure and velocity, and the presence of any external forces or fields. These factors can all impact the particle's movement and trajectory within the air stream.

What are the potential risks or challenges associated with accelerating micron size particles in an air stream?

There are several potential risks and challenges associated with accelerating micron size particles in an air stream, including potential damage to equipment or materials, the generation of harmful byproducts or emissions, and the need for precise control and monitoring of the acceleration process. It is important to carefully assess and mitigate these risks in any experiment or application involving particle acceleration.

What are some real-world applications of accelerating micron size particles in an air stream?

Accelerating micron size particles in an air stream has many practical applications, such as in the development of new pharmaceuticals, the production of advanced electronic components, and the creation of more efficient air and water filtration systems. It is also used in research and development for industries such as aerospace, automotive, and environmental science.