Organic Questions: Medicinal Uses, Melting Points, Synthesis

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organic
In summary, benzhexol, also known as hexahydroxybenzene, is a compound with medicinal uses. Its melting point can be found through a Beilstein search or on the MSDS sheet. The compound (1,3,5/2,4,6)-hexafluorocyclohexane also has a melting point that can be found through the same methods. The synthesis of benzhexol, scyllitol, and (1,3,5/2,4,6)-hexafluorocyclohexane can be researched through a Beilstein search as well. The compound 1,2,3,4,5,6-hexahydroxycyclo
bomba923
:shy: Just a few simple questions:

1) What medicinal uses does benzhexol have ?
(aka (1,2,3,4,5,6)-hexahydroxybenzene! :smile:)

2) What is the melting point of benzhexol?
*(see the first GIF image thumbnail for structure)

3) What is the melting point of (1,3,5/2,4,6)-hexafluorocyclohexane ?
*(see the third GIF image thumbnail for structure)-
------------------------

4) Generally, how would you synthesize benzhexol, scyllitol, and (1,3,5/2,4,6)-hexafluorocyclohexane? What general mechanisms should I use?
*(see the second GIF image thumbnail for scyllitol structure)

Attachments

• Benzhexol.gif
    Benzhexol.gif
    476 bytes · Views: 478
  • scyllitol.GIF
    scyllitol.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 503
  • Nameprob3.gif
    Nameprob3.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Also just one more question:

5) Is it possible to synthesize "1,2,3,4,5,6-hexahydroxycyclohexane-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexaldehyde"?
or at least a "benzhexaldehyde" sample?

*Moreover, *Can they even exist!? :redface:

(Basically, a cyclohexane ring w/one hydroxyl group and one aldehyde group bonded to each carbon is what I mean by 1,2,3,4,5,6-hexahydroxycyclohexane-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexaldehyde)
(see attachments for structure\\/\)

Attachments

• Benzhexaldehyde.GIF
    Benzhexaldehyde.GIF
    701 bytes · Views: 489
  • nameprob4.GIF
    nameprob4.GIF
    1.3 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
you might want to get movies' attention, he's an org. chemist (I think a third year grad student at cal tech, or was it berkeley)

Well, since GCT mentioned me I guess I have to give some kind of answer. (I'm at Caltech, by the way)

"Benzhexol" should more properly be name "hexahydroxybenzene" so that might help you in your searching. A quick Beilstein search should get you the MP for that compound and hexafluorocyclohexane. You could probably find this info on the MSDS sheet too. For the medicinal purposes, the best way to find out is to google the name. Beilstein should give you some leads on the syntheses too. I haven't really looked into how these particular compounds are made myself though.

That benzhexaldehyde isn't known as far as I can tell, but it seems that the hexacarboxylic acid an various hexaesters are known. The hexahydroxyhexaldehyde cyclohexane compound isn't known either.

1. What are the medicinal uses of organic compounds?

Organic compounds have a wide range of medicinal uses, including being used as active ingredients in pharmaceutical drugs, such as antibiotics, painkillers, and anti-inflammatory drugs. They can also be used in natural remedies, such as essential oils and herbal supplements.

2. What is the significance of melting points in organic chemistry?

Melting points are an important physical property of organic compounds that can be used to identify and characterize them. Each compound has a unique melting point, which can help in determining its purity and structure. In addition, the melting point can also give information about the strength of the intermolecular forces within the compound, which can affect its physical and chemical properties.

3. How are organic compounds synthesized?

Organic compounds can be synthesized through a variety of methods, including chemical reactions, fermentation, and extraction from natural sources. These syntheses involve combining different elements or molecules in a specific way to create a new compound. The synthesis process can be tailored to produce specific organic compounds with desired properties for various applications.

4. What are the benefits of using organic compounds over synthetic compounds?

Organic compounds have several benefits over their synthetic counterparts. They are often considered safer and more environmentally friendly, as they are derived from natural sources. They also tend to have fewer side effects and are better tolerated by the body. In addition, organic compounds are often more biodegradable, meaning they can break down more easily in the environment.

5. How do organic compounds contribute to the field of medicine and healthcare?

Organic compounds play a crucial role in medicine and healthcare. They are used as active ingredients in pharmaceutical drugs to treat various diseases and ailments. They are also used to create medical devices, such as prosthetics and implants, and are essential in medical imaging techniques. In addition, organic compounds are used in the development of new treatments and therapies for various health conditions.