Help Needed: Struggling Engineering Student in Physics 1

In summary, the speaker is an engineering student who has completed calculus 1 and 2, as well as chemistry, but is struggling with physics 1. They are considering taking the class in the fall but are worried about failing again. Others suggest seeking help from the professor and other students and learning from mistakes. The speaker is also a sponsored student and may face consequences if they fail. They are advised to understand their mistakes and prepare for a retake if necessary.
joker2014
I need your help everyone.

I'm an engineering student, freshman, I finished calc 1 & 2, and chemistry.
Im taking physics 1 this summer session 1, but I failed in it already.

I don't really know what to do. I don't know how if I would take it in Fall semester.
I mean summer courses are easier and I failed in it, so how would it be in fall! Everyone is doing great in this class except me struggling

please hep :(

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience summer classes are much harder! The same amount of material must be learned in a much shorter period of time.

HeavyMetal said:
From my experience summer classes are much harder! The same amount of material must be learned in a much shorter period of time.

Yeah, doing the same amount of material in a shorter amount of time is definitely going to make it more difficult. I don't know what about it would be easier...

To the OP, if the class is still going on, you still have a chance to pass. Don't give up or get discouraged because you're going through a rough patch... You will set yourself back even farther. If you're having trouble, seek help from other students or go to your professor during office hours; this is precisely the sort of thing that they have office hours set aside for in the first place.

Good luck.

Oh, and if your class is over (which you kind of made it sound like, but I doubted since the summer has only been going on for a few weeks), I think that you should take it in the Fall. Don't give up until you HAVE to. Every time you fail, there's an opportunity to learn from your mistakes, so, find out what isn't working and change that.

Dr.Mobius said:
Yeah, doing the same amount of material in a shorter amount of time is definitely going to make it more difficult. I don't know what about it would be easier...

To the OP, if the class is still going on, you still have a chance to pass. Don't give up or get discouraged because you're going through a rough patch... You will set yourself back even farther. If you're having trouble, seek help from other students or go to your professor during office hours; this is precisely the sort of thing that they have office hours set aside for in the first place.

Good luck.

Oh, and if your class is over (which you kind of made it sound like, but I doubted since the summer has only been going on for a few weeks), I think that you should take it in the Fall. Don't give up until you HAVE to. Every time you fail, there's an opportunity to learn from your mistakes, so, find out what isn't working and change that.

Thank you.

Yes physics 1 was 6 weeks long, and after tomorrow is my Final.
I don't think there's a chance to pass, I'm not being pessimistic but this is tthe truth.
I failed both midterms and quizzes scores are horrible. Only thing I did good in was Lab and Homework which has small portion.

Ahhh this is terrible, especially I'm a sponsored student...

So how can we help?

joker2014 said:
Thank you.

Yes physics 1 was 6 weeks long, and after tomorrow is my Final.
I don't think there's a chance to pass, I'm not being pessimistic but this is tthe truth.
I failed both midterms and quizzes scores are horrible. Only thing I did good in was Lab and Homework which has small portion.

Ahhh this is terrible, especially I'm a sponsored student...
In the short term you'll need to be proactive and talk with your prof and maybe some other profs to get some support in case your sponsorship is questioned. Other sponsored students may be able to help here. Most likely you get another chance especially if your other grades are okay.

Next you need to understand why you did so poorly and then why you didn't seek out help earlier after the first quiz. As an example, were you having trouble with the math or the physics of a problem or were you making careless mistakes. Once explained were problems easier to understand and do.

Taking it a second time is good but you need to prepare by looking at your homework quizzes and tests to see where you went wrong. You could even develop a written assessment of it in case you need it to defend your sponsorship you could explain in detail what happened and how you can fix this if given another chance.

Keep talking to PF and we can provide help in the problems you had trouble with and where your thinking needs adjustment.

Good luck...

Last edited:
You definitely need to seek help out at the first sign of trouble. Waiting until the day before the final is way too late...

1. What are some tips for understanding Physics 1 concepts?

One tip is to actively engage with the material by taking detailed notes and asking questions. It can also be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from a tutor or professor can greatly improve understanding.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Physics 1?

Problem-solving in Physics 1 requires a combination of understanding concepts and applying them to specific situations. One way to improve these skills is to practice solving a variety of problems, including both conceptual and numerical ones. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor.

3. What resources are available to help struggling engineering students in Physics 1?

There are many resources available to help struggling engineering students in Physics 1. These include tutoring services, study groups, online resources such as Khan Academy, and office hours with professors. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for Physics 1?

Effective time management is crucial for success in Physics 1. One strategy is to create a study schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific blocks of time for studying and completing assignments. It is also important to prioritize and focus on the most challenging topics first.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in Physics 1?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Physics 1 include not reading the textbook or assigned readings, not seeking help when needed, and not practicing enough problems. It is also important to avoid cramming and to start studying early, as physics concepts require time and effort to fully understand.