Introduction to Electricity: Basic AC/DC, Resistors, Capacitors, and More

In summary, the individual is looking for a basic introductory textbook on electronics at a high school level, covering topics such as basic AC/DC, current, charge, voltage, resistors, series/parallel circuits, Ohm's Law, capacitors, semiconductor devices, building a circuit, and breadboards. They mention not wanting a book like "Art of Electronics" and are directed to a recent thread on the EE forum discussing other potential introductory books.
WannabeFeynman
Hello, I am looking for a basic introductory textbook on electronics. Since it's introductory, nothing too rigorous required.
Topics:
Basic AC/DC introduction
Current, Charge, Voltage
Resistors
Series/Parallel circuits
Ohm's Law
Capacitors
Semiconductor devices (diodes, doping, impurities, N-P type, transistors etc)
Building a circuit (how they work, printed circuit boards)
Hopefully something on breadboards

Once again, an introduction so "Art of electronics" and similar are WAY too advanced. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeFeynman said:
Hello, I am looking for a basic introductory textbook on electronics. Since it's introductory, nothing too rigorous required.
Topics:
Basic AC/DC introduction
Current, Charge, Voltage
Resistors
Series/Parallel circuits
Ohm's Law
Capacitors
Semiconductor devices (diodes, doping, impurities, N-P type, transistors etc)
Building a circuit (how they work, printed circuit boards)
Hopefully something on breadboards

Once again, an introduction so "Art of electronics" and similar are WAY too advanced. Thanks.

I'm surprised that you find the AoE book too advanced (it really does start with the basics), but that's fine. Here's a recent short thread from the EE forum that mentions a couple intro-type electronics books:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=731156

:smile:

Really, what is mean is a high school level introduction, not the physics of it. Thanks, I'll check those.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is used in most household outlets, while DC electricity is found in batteries and electronic devices.

2. What is a resistor and how does it affect electricity?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of current in a circuit and can also be used to reduce voltage. Resistors are often used in electronic devices to prevent damage to components.

3. What is a capacitor and how does it store electricity?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, storing electrical energy. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to smooth out voltage fluctuations and regulate power supply.

4. How do I calculate the resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors?

To calculate the total resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors in series (connected end to end), add the resistance values together. For resistors in parallel (connected across each other), the total resistance is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each resistance and then taking the reciprocal of the sum.

5. Can I use a DC power supply for AC devices and vice versa?

In general, no. AC and DC devices require different types of power supplies because they operate on different types of electrical currents. Using the wrong type of power supply can damage the device or cause it to malfunction. It is important to always use the correct type of power supply for your devices.