Boosting AC Signal for Solenoid: Techniques for Current Amplification

In summary, the individual is looking for advice on how to amplify a small current into a large one. They have explored a variety of options, but they don't have a lot of experience and don't know what they're doing. They think a car boomer amplifier might be an option.
geekusprimus
Hi, everyone.

I'm working on a project right now where I need to amplify an AC signal to create as much current as possible in a solenoid to generate as strong a magnetic field as I can. I'm likely dealing with a maximum of 10 V and 10 mA from my signal generator, but I ideally need a peak current in the range of several amps. My solenoid is thick-gauge wire and can likely handle the current (we're also looking at cooling options in case the inside gets too hot), but with my limited background in electronics, I'm at a bit of a loss on effective techniques for current amplification. Some ideas I've explored are building a parallel RLC circuit (a resistor in series with the solenoid and a resistor in series with the capacitor) and driving it at resonance or amplifying the power with an op-amp or a transistor and then stepping up the current with a transformer. However, to be brutally honest, I don't have much experience with this scale of amplification, and I don't have a fantastic idea of what I'm really doing.

Do you guys have any recommendations for amplifying small signals into large ones?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the frequency is in, or near, the Audio range, use an ordinary Audio Amplifier and connect the solenoid in place of the loudspeaker. Amplifier power at your discretion and budget.

Likes jim hardy
Tom.G said:
If the frequency is in, or near, the Audio range, use an ordinary Audio Amplifier and connect the solenoid in place of the loudspeaker. Amplifier power at your discretion and budget.
Schools often have audio signal generators able to deliver an amp or so, so they are available.

1. What is AC signal amplification?

AC signal amplification is the process of increasing the strength or amplitude of an alternating current (AC) signal. This is typically done using electronic devices called amplifiers, which take in a weak AC signal and output a stronger one.

2. Why is AC signal amplification important?

AC signal amplification is important because it allows us to increase the power or voltage of a signal, making it easier to transmit over long distances or to amplify weak signals for detection or processing. This is crucial in many industries, such as telecommunications, audio engineering, and medical instrumentation.

3. How does AC signal amplification work?

AC signal amplification works by using active components, such as transistors or op-amps, to increase the amplitude of the AC signal. These components use an external power source to boost the signal, allowing it to be transmitted or processed more effectively.

4. What are the different types of AC signal amplifiers?

There are several types of AC signal amplifiers, including voltage amplifiers, current amplifiers, power amplifiers, and operational amplifiers. Each type has its own unique characteristics and applications, but they all serve the purpose of amplifying an AC signal.

5. Are there any limitations to AC signal amplification?

Yes, there are limitations to AC signal amplification. One limitation is that amplifiers can introduce noise or distortion to the signal, which can affect its accuracy or quality. Additionally, amplifiers have a maximum output voltage or power, so they cannot endlessly increase the signal strength. Lastly, amplifiers require a power source to function, which may not always be available or feasible in certain applications.