What are the results of my psychological testing?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary: Seems like a language barrier might be at play.Jake has some difficulties in oral language tasks in which verbal reasoning and concept formation are required. He also exhibits difficulties in recalling verbal information after a short delay and after longer delays. His ability to recognize and identify correctly those items that he was asked to recall was in the moderately impaired range. His ability to produce meaningful sentences in response to a variety of task criteria was in the below average range.
Drakkith said:
While I'm sure it adds to the problems, I don't believe that depression is the cause of my symptoms. Personally I think it's the reverse, that the symptoms cause the depression.
So, you must have had physical workups. They say they're finding nothing wrong with your bloodwork and all that? The aren't finding any physical cause?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the symptoms Drak listed remind me of a dyslexia (I am not saying it IS dyslexia, I just see some similarities). This can be related to the way he is wired, which IS a physical cause, but not one that will be found by typical examination. AFAIK the only known method at the moment is some kind of MRI scan that can be used to detect atypical brain activity during some visual/auditory tasks, but as of today it is not an approved diagnostic method, rather a research tool.

Hi Drakkith

Firstly, I would also like to say, that your contributions to PF are extremely valuable, and I gather from the posts here that you have plenty of respect from other prominent PF members.

Having dealt with a case of mental illness recently myself (not mine, my wife's), I feel I can offer some advice.

1. Consult a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor - psychologists are usually not doctors). Do what they say. This can (and will probably) include meds.

2. The meds will not fix you completely - but you will hopefully see a massive improvement, which may allow you to tackle whatever other issues you may have.

3. These problems are usually physiological - meaning they have a biological (i.e. chemical) cause. In other words, it's no different to having (say) diabetes or asthma, so you ought not to feel a stigma because of your condition.

4. Draw on other forms of support if you can - for example, other people that suffer from your condition - friends, family...my wife used to hide her condition under great duress, but once she "came out" the outpouring of support was overwhelming...the stigmas surrounding mental illness are less prevalent today than they were 20 years ago.

5. While they mean well, pay no mind to those that downplay the possibility of mental illness. Culturally, we have grown up thinking these things can be "toughed out", but the reality is, these conditions need help - just as people with diabetes etc need help. I too, was in the "tough it out brigade" until my wife's experience.

6. At the end of it all, there is a overwhelming probability that you will lead a normal life.

Good luck Drakkith, hopefully you can get to the bottom of your condition and sort everything out, and of course, continue to be such a fantastic contributor to PF!

Claude.

Likes 2 people
Claude Bile said:
Hi Drakkith

Firstly, I would also like to say, that your contributions to PF are extremely valuable, and I gather from the posts here that you have plenty of respect from other prominent PF members.

Having dealt with a case of mental illness recently myself (not mine, my wife's), I feel I can offer some advice.

1. Consult a psychiatrist (i.e. a doctor - psychologists are usually not doctors). Do what they say. This can (and will probably) include meds.

2. The meds will not fix you completely - but you will hopefully see a massive improvement, which may allow you to tackle whatever other issues you may have.

3. These problems are usually physiological - meaning they have a biological (i.e. chemical) cause. In other words, it's no different to having (say) diabetes or asthma, so you ought not to feel a stigma because of your condition.

4. Draw on other forms of support if you can - for example, other people that suffer from your condition - friends, family...my wife used to hide her condition under great duress, but once she "came out" the outpouring of support was overwhelming...the stigmas surrounding mental illness are less prevalent today than they were 20 years ago.

5. While they mean well, pay no mind to those that downplay the possibility of mental illness. Culturally, we have grown up thinking these things can be "toughed out", but the reality is, these conditions need help - just as people with diabetes etc need help. I too, was in the "tough it out brigade" until my wife's experience.

6. At the end of it all, there is a overwhelming probability that you will lead a normal life.

Good luck Drakkith, hopefully you can get to the bottom of your condition and sort everything out, and of course, continue to be such a fantastic contributor to PF!

Claude.
A great post.

More warm wishes for you. I am a high functioning person with mental health issues and I know, like the others have mentioned, it cna't be "toughed out." Like chronic pain, it must be managed with diligent and watchful measures that in themselves seem challenging enough.

You can do this. Searching for help and seeing someone about it are the first steps, and often the hardest. It's hard to accept "flaws" or in the strictest sense, weaknesses, in who we are. Now that you know where they are, you can start to repair and manage your life better.

I know some have said exercise, and you said it didn't help. I found that interesting. For me it was some ratio of medicine, diet, exercise, and overall life outlook. By outlook, I mean that I decided to live by a very set schedule when it comes towards sleep and exercise, and I take time to "digest" what I'm feeling and how I'm coping.

Making time for yourself is very important.

Cheers

zoobyshoe said:
So, you must have had physical workups. They say they're finding nothing wrong with your bloodwork and all that? The aren't finding any physical cause?

Nope, nothing.

Claude Bile said:

Claude.

Thanks!

I'd pat you on the back if I could.

phion said:
I'd pat you on the back if I could.

I'll do it for you. :biggrin:

Just an update: I've been seeing a therapist for a few months and just recently was transferred to a psychologist in the same office. She thinks that I may have expressive language disorder in addition to anything else I may have, such as ADHD, sleep issues, etc.

An example of expressive language disorder:
(She actually does better than I could. My memory and ability to summarize are FAR worse. I'd never be able to summarize a movie like that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you think the sleep problems you have may affect the results?

WWGD said:
Don't you think the sleep problems you have may affect the results?

No idea. I'll have to discuss this with my psychologist.

Maybe you can mention him/her that you were assigned the position of mentor here at PF, which
is not given capriciously/randomly. It would seem to counter the results of the test. Just some input.

WWGD said:
Maybe you can mention him/her that you were assigned the position of mentor here at PF, which is not given capriciously/randomly. It would seem to counter the results of the test. Just some input.
Agreed. I know PF isn't quite the real world, but with a staff of professional scientists and engineers and thousands of people who value the input of said staff, it isn't an accomplishment/job I take lightly. Everyone has their issues and playing to your strengths is how you maximize your potential. Whatever you are doing here, it is working.

WWGD said:
Maybe you can mention him/her that you were assigned the position of mentor here at PF, which
is not given capriciously/randomly. It would seem to counter the results of the test. Just some input.

I disagree. I can take my time when typing up a post, editing it as necessary to get it as right as possible. And even this is typically a long, laborious process that I struggle through. Talking is about an order of magnitude more difficult. To put it in simple words, communication in any form is hard. Talking is even harder.

Good to see that you're working on the issues you're having, is there an effective treatment for expressive language disorder? Would practicing expressing oneself help in training the brain regions required for that function?

Monique said:
Good to see that you're working on the issues you're having, is there an effective treatment for expressive language disorder? Would practicing expressing oneself help in training the brain regions required for that function?

I'm unsure honestly.