What are the results of my psychological testing?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary: Seems like a language barrier might be at play.Jake has some difficulties in oral language tasks in which verbal reasoning and concept formation are required. He also exhibits difficulties in recalling verbal information after a short delay and after longer delays. His ability to recognize and identify correctly those items that he was asked to recall was in the moderately impaired range. His ability to produce meaningful sentences in response to a variety of task criteria was in the below average range.
Drakkith
Mentor
So I recently went to a psychologist to get some testing done, as I've been having severe difficulty in several areas in school and work. Severe enough that I failed a class this semester because I literally couldn't write the papers required for the class. Attached is the overview of my results. As you can see, there are several areas where I am well below average. Anything below the 10th percentile is clinically significant.

Some specific subcategories and quotes from the psychologist are below.

Memory and Learning

Verbal Learning Task Requiring Attention and Recall: Mildly Impaired (CVLT-II Trial 1: 7th Percentile; List B: 2nd Percentile)

Visual Task, Recalling and Constructing a Complex Figure: Mildly Impaired (Rey-O Delay Recall: 2nd Percentile)

Verbal Learning Task: Mild to Moderately Impaired (CVLT-II Trial 5: 2nd Percentile)

Ability to recall verbal information after a short delay was in the moderately impaired range and remained in the moderately impaired range when cues were provided. (CVLT-II Short Delay Free Recall: 1st Percentile; Short Delay Cued Recall: 1st Percentile)

Ability to recall verbal information after longer delays (20-30 minutes) was in the severely impaired range. (CVLT-II Long Delay Free Recall: Less than 1st Percentile; Long Delay Cued Recall: Less than 1st Percentile)

Ability to recognize and identify correctly those items that he was asked to recall was in the moderately impaired range. (Long-Delay Yes/No Recognition: 1st Percentile)

Visual Motor Coordination

Ability in visual-spatial construction ability was in the mildly impaired range. (Rey-O Copy: 4th Percentile) Although he attended to details, his approach to copying a complex figure appeared to be completed without an organization approach.

Oral Language

Exhibited difficulties in oral language tasks in which verbal reasoning and concept formation were required. (WAIS-IV Similarities: 25th Percentile)

Below average abilities on verbal retrieval tasks in which he was required to generate words based on letter and semantic cues. (D-KEFS Verbal Letter Fluency: 9th Percentile; Verbal Category Fluency: Percentile) In general, generating language is difficult for Jake.

Reading and Written Language

When asked to produce meaningful sentences in response to a variety of task criteria, Jake performed in the below average range. (WJ-III Writing Samples: 11th Percentile). In fact, he was unable to produce several sentences worthy of scoring. Jake sat at the testing table for several minutes and could not produce simple sentences in response to writing prompts. (e.g., "Write one good sentence that tells three things you would like to do; write one good topic sentence for a biography) This was unexpected because Jake's overall verbal ability (on cognitive testing) was in the average range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah... no wonder I have such a hard time just trying to talk, post to the forums, etc.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    693.9 KB · Views: 292
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably just had a bit too much on your plate lately - which happens to many people at some point in life. I would not place much significance on one test. Sounds like a case of white coat jitters.

Chronos said:
You probably just had a bit too much on your plate lately - which happens to many people at some point in life. I would not place much significance on one test. Sounds like a case of white coat jitters.

If "lately" means "my entire life", then sure. Trust me, it's not something that comes and goes or has just cropped up recently. It's a constant, every day battle.

Huh? This comes from the same guy who posted samples of his prose some time ago?

Try another psychologist.

Borek said:
Huh? This comes from the same guy who posted samples of his prose some time ago?

Try another psychologist.

I've also posted over 10,000 posts here on PF and written fanfiction. That doesn't mean I'm not having serious problems. Even a man with a busted leg can still get around somewhat.

Either way, you've done a great job here at PF. I have the utmost respect for your postings here.

You already knew you were having a writing problem before visiting the psychologist, how useful is the test? It will be important to find out why you are having troubles and see how they can be resolved. It doesn't have to be that you're just bad at it, there might be a mental/physical block that's causing you to perform poorly. Hopefully this is a start of change for you!

Chronos said:

Insufficient data Chronos and I must say you're probably not qualified to assess his psychological health.

Is this the same writing class you showed me your work for (something on Greek mythology) earlier in the semester?

Stuck in your head, a bit? It seems interesting enough.

I'm not familiar with this sort psychology. Seems your reading, comprehension, reasoning etc is all above average, however the ways in which you express these things is below average (active recall, writing, speaking).

Regardless, I hope you get all worked out. It's not fun to feel less than optimal.

russ_watters said:
Either way, you've done a great job here at PF. I have the utmost respect for your postings here.
+++1

Whatever your real or perceived problems are, I sympathize.

On the other hand, don't forget that you can't make money from treating somebody for a condition unless you first "prove" there is something to treat. If you give a large number of people a test and state that the lowest 10% of score is "clinically significant", by definition you are saying that 10% of the total population "needs treatment". Personally I find that simplistic concept ridiculous - though if I had no morals and got paid loadsamoney by health insurers for "treating people", I suppose I might take a different view.

Caveat emptor. (buyer, beware)...

russ_watters said:

Thanks!

Monique said:
You already knew you were having a writing problem before visiting the psychologist, how useful is the test? It will be important to find out why you are having troubles and see how they can be resolved. It doesn't have to be that you're just bad at it, there might be a mental/physical block that's causing you to perform poorly. Hopefully this is a start of change for you!

Unfortunately there is no easy fix, and may not be a fix at all. The psychologist recommended therapy, so we'll see.

WannabeNewton said:
Is this the same writing class you showed me your work for (something on Greek mythology) earlier in the semester?

No, this was a different one. Although I nearly failed that one thanks to almost not completing a paper on time.

AlephZero said:
Whatever your real or perceived problems are, I sympathize.

On the other hand, don't forget that you can't make money from treating somebody for a condition unless you first "prove" there is something to treat. If you give a large number of people a test and state that the lowest 10% of score is "clinically significant", by definition you are saying that 10% of the total population "needs treatment". Personally I find that simplistic concept ridiculous - though if I had no morals and got paid loadsamoney by health insurers for "treating people", I suppose I might take a different view.

Caveat emptor. (buyer, beware)...

Sure, which is why it's important to know whether your condition is affecting you in your actual life or not. If not, then there's not really a problem. But this greatly affects nearly every aspect of my life.

I just wanted to echo Monique's statement that these are simply tests that are meant to help indentify specific issues.

Now that you've identified some issues, you have an advantage that you didn't have before because now you can come up with specific strategies to deal with them.

To me, it seems that this

Drakkith said:
Reading and Written Language

When asked to produce meaningful sentences in response to a variety of task criteria, Jake performed in the below average range. (WJ-III Writing Samples: 11th Percentile). In fact, he was unable to produce several sentences worthy of scoring. Jake sat at the testing table for several minutes and could not produce simple sentences in response to writing prompts. (e.g., "Write one good sentence that tells three things you would like to do; write one good topic sentence for a biography) This was unexpected because Jake's overall verbal ability (on cognitive testing) was in the average range.

etc.

has some sort of conflict with your lucid response(s) in post 13.

Psychologist asks:
"Write one good sentence that tells three things you would like to do; .. "
That appears constrained and at the same time, open to too much interpretation. Why a good sentence? Who decides what is 'good' - you the phychologist or me the writer? And is good actually good enough? Do you mean three things to do right now? Or sometime in my life such as three things I have not done before, and would like to try? Or three things I would have no hope in hell of ever doing but neat to think about, like living the dream and life of a rock star, or a secret agent bond style? etc... Let us feast upon the implications of what such a simple question could entail.

I do believe very few people would immediately commence writing a sentence without doing some thinking and pencil fiddling first with that sort of query imposed upon them.

I do have to wonder why the phychologist did not just simply and explicitly ask, "Write a sentence listing three things you like doing." ( No answer needed )

I am just saying that, by not writing down a response in a timely fashion, you have also exhibiting other aspects about your personality and whatever else is in there, that might not be so impaired as the test score would have you to believe.

256bits said:
I am just saying that, by not writing down a response in a timely fashion, you have also exhibiting other aspects about your personality and whatever else is in there, that might not be so impaired as the test score would have you to believe.

Perhaps, but there were a variety of sentence prompts, around ten or so I believe, and not all of them were as "complicated" as the example provided.

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately there is no easy fix, and may not be a fix at all. The psychologist recommended therapy, so we'll see.
You can't expect an easy fix, but it's an issue that should be addressed. I'm learning how to drive a car, overall it goes very well, but some days I have this fog in my head that impairs my performance. On those days my driving instructor asks "why are you driving so badly, I don't recognize you at all". My response is "I don't know why I make such a mess, I'm really trying my best". Of course there is a cause, identifying and addressing it is important. Developing a coping mechanism can be useful as well. Recognizing that there is a problem is thus just the first step, grasp it as an opportunity to work on yourself!

Use it as motivation to be even better. Prove the idiot wrong!

From experience, it is by design to cut down the ego and really find cause to improve your thinking.

phion said:
Use it as motivation to be even better. Prove the idiot wrong!

What idiot? The psychologist?

From experience, it is by design to cut down the ego and really find cause to improve your thinking.

What?

I can't believe people think you can just "think differently". Gee Drakkith, just don't be that way! OY! Like people that think you can just talk your way out of OCD or clinical anxiety or clinical depression as if they're something you can just decide not to have anymore.

I know people mean well, but it's not a decision you can make to change. Like Monique said, the assessment helps you to identify and confirm where you have problems.

Drakkith said:
What idiot? The psychologist?
Right. I'm not saying he's actually an idiot. I don't mean you should study for the psychology exam just so you can "beat" the thing.

Drakkith said:
What?
The testing is hypercritical. Like Choppy was saying, while you're identifying patterns of weakness in your personality and thought processes and attempting to develop strategies to overcome these perceived problems (by nurturing your ego). It gains you a better attitude since you're facing the reality of these issues head-on, and publicly nonetheless . It's only healthy.

I usually go running to clear my head.

phion said:
The testing is hypercritical.

How so?

Drakkith said:
How so?
That's just my opinion. Clearly you have plenty of energy considering the sheer quantity (and quality) of posting you've done is three years, combined with your other work commitments. It's impressive, and it means to me that you're energetic, thoughtful, and focused. You definitely don't seem depressed or hampered by any true clinical issues which is good!

phion said:
Clearly you have plenty of energy considering the sheer quantity (and quality) of posting you've done is three years, combined with your other work commitments. It's impressive, and it means to me that you're energetic, thoughtful, and focused. You definitely don't seem depressed or hampered by any true clinical issues which is good!

Actually I suffer from terrible fatigue, lack of energy, and I'm taking an anti-depressant for depression.

Drakkith said:
Actually I suffer from terrible fatigue, lack of energy, and I'm taking an anti-depressant for depression.

Have you had a blood test for anemia? Sleep apnea could be a possibility as well, both conditions would hinder your memory.

I'm kind of curious now how I would score on one of those tests, long term memory would probably be low. Sorry you've been dealing with I these your whole life. Question, did your military service worsen your condition?

Student100 said:
Have you had a blood test for anemia? Sleep apnea could be a possibility as well, both conditions would hinder your memory.

Been tested for all that and was okay.

I'm kind of curious now how I would score on one of those tests, long term memory would probably be low. Sorry you've been dealing with I these your whole life. Question, did your military service worsen your condition?

No idea.

Drakkith said:
Been tested for all that and was okay.

No idea.

Ahhh oh well. I remember being diagnosed with sleep apnea in the military, I thought it was a load of crap. First night with the Frankenstein mask was like night and day though. I actually felt rested for the first time in ten years.

Good luck with your therapy.

Student100 said:
Ahhh oh well. I remember being diagnosed with sleep apnea in the military, I thought it was a load of crap. First night with the Frankenstein mask was like night and day though. I actually felt rested for the first time in ten years.

Yeah, I know a few people who have sleep apnea.

Good luck with your therapy.

Thanks!

phion said:
Try exercise.

Doesn't help.

Drakkith said:
Doesn't help.
Try different medication? Zoloft and Neurontin do it for me!

phion said:
Try different medication? Zoloft and Neurontin do it for me!

Do what for you?

Drakkith said:
Do what for you?
They stabilize my mood; tendency to become agitated, angry, anxious, and depressed to the point of severe interference with everyday functionality.

phion said:
They stabilize my mood; tendency to become agitated, angry, anxious, and depressed to the point of severe interference with everyday functionality.

Ah, I see. Unfortunately it's very unlikely that medications will fix me.

Drakkith said:
I have the same diagnosis. The fact you're depressed completely explains your performance on this test, and probably all your difficulties at work.

Personally, I have taken to joking about how slowly I think and process information compared to others. This doesn't show up on the internet. No one knows if a paragraph took you two minutes or two hours to compose, so you present as alert and energetic whereas in reality it's sometimes like you're stuck in slow motion. You feel heavy, slow, tired: very common in depression.

I was pretty baffled by your problem till you mentioned this diagnosis. Knowing it, I think it explains everything and is what you want to apply your efforts to.

zoobyshoe said:
I have the same diagnosis. The fact you're depressed completely explains your performance on this test, and probably all your difficulties at work.

I'm not sure I agree, as I've had these issues pretty much my whole life.

Personally, I have taken to joking about how slowly I think and process information compared to others. This doesn't show up on the internet. No one knows if a paragraph took you two minutes or two hours to compose, so you present as alert and energetic whereas in reality it's sometimes like you're stuck in slow motion. You feel heavy, slow, tired: very common in depression.

I don't feel heavy or slow, but I do have "mental fog", which is far worse if I don't take my medication for ADHD for a few days.

I was pretty baffled by your problem till you mentioned this diagnosis. Knowing it, I think it explains everything and is what you want to apply your efforts to.

While I'm sure it adds to the problems, I don't believe that depression is the cause of my symptoms. Personally I think it's the reverse, that the symptoms cause the depression.