The Tire's Velocity at the Embankment's Top: 2.8 m/s

• Thread starter huskydc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the tire initially rolls up a ramp with a speed of 2.8 m/s and a mass of 10 kg and radius of 30 cm. It then travels up an embankment at 30° for 1 meter. To find the velocity at the top of the embankment, the equation for energy conservation can be used with the initial kinetic energy of translation and rotation equal to the final kinetic energy minus the potential energy. However, it should be noted that a tire is not a perfect disk and a more accurate model would be a hoop or ring.
huskydc
a tire, rolls up on a ramp,

with a speed of 2.8 m/s, a tire mass of 10 kg and tire radius of 30 cm

the tire cruises up an embankment at 30° for 1 meter

What is the velocity of the tire at the topof the embankment in m/s?

I tried the following:

energy conservation: and end up with something like this:

Final KE =

[ 1/2*M*V^2 + 1/2*I*(V/R)^2 ] - M*g*h (where h = 1m * sin30° )

and I = .45

but I'm not sure if at Final KE, that if there is still the rotational energy, however, I tried solving for V

with both either KE as just .5 m v^2 and .5mv^2 + .5 I (v/r)^2

neither works...hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
huskydc said:
a tire, rolls up on a ramp,

with a speed of 2.8 m/s, a tire mass of 10 kg and tire radius of 30 cm

the tire cruises up an embankment at 30° for 1 meter

What is the velocity of the tire at the topof the embankment in m/s?

I tried the following:

energy conservation: and end up with something like this:

Final KE =

[ 1/2*M*V^2 + 1/2*I*(V/R)^2 ] - M*g*h (where h = 1m * sin30° )

and I = .45

but I'm not sure if at Final KE, that if there is still the rotational energy, however, I tried solving for V

with both either KE as just .5 m v^2 and .5mv^2 + .5 I (v/r)^2

neither works...hints?
It appears you are on the right track. There is initial kinetic energy of translation and rotation, and final kinetic energy with the difference between them being the potential energy. The kinetic energy will always be a combination of both translation and rotation as long as the tire is moving.

It appears you are using the equation for a disk to find I. A tire is not a disk. A reasonably accurate model would be a hoop or ring, with all the mass at approximtely the same radius. That is not precise, but it may be the assumption you are expected to make.

It seems like you are on the right track with using energy conservation to solve for the velocity of the tire at the top of the embankment. However, there are a few things to consider in your calculations.

First, make sure that the value you are using for the moment of inertia (I) is correct. The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder (which is what a tire can be approximated as) is given by I = 1/2 * M * R^2, where M is the mass of the object and R is the radius. In your case, I would use I = 1/2 * 10 kg * (0.3 m)^2 = 0.45 kg*m^2.

Secondly, when using the conservation of energy equation, you need to make sure that all the terms have the same units. In this case, your kinetic energy terms have units of Joules (J), while your potential energy term has units of Newton-meters (Nm). To make them consistent, you can convert the potential energy term to Joules by multiplying it by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So your final equation should look like this:

[1/2 * 10 kg * V^2 + 1/2 * 0.45 kg*m^2 * (V/0.3 m)^2] - 10 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 1 m * sin(30°) = 0

Simplifying this equation, you should get:

0.5 V^2 + 0.075 V^2 - 49 = 0

Solving for V, you should get V = 5.2 m/s. So the tire's velocity at the top of the embankment is approximately 5.2 m/s.

One thing to note is that this calculation assumes that there is no friction or air resistance acting on the tire. If there is friction, it will affect the tire's velocity as it rolls up the embankment. Also, make sure to double check your calculations and units to make sure everything is consistent. Hope this helps!

1. What is the significance of the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top being 2.8 m/s?

The velocity of the tire at the embankment's top being 2.8 m/s indicates how fast the tire is moving at that specific point. This information can be used to calculate the tire's acceleration and determine how quickly it is moving along the embankment.

2. How was the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top determined?

The velocity of the tire at the embankment's top was likely measured using a speedometer or calculated using the tire's acceleration and initial velocity. This information may also have been obtained through experimentation or mathematical modeling.

3. Can the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top change?

Yes, the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top can change depending on various factors such as the incline of the embankment, the tire's acceleration, and external forces acting on the tire. It is not a fixed value and can vary over time.

4. How does the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top affect the overall motion of the tire?

The velocity of the tire at the embankment's top is an important factor in determining the overall motion of the tire. It can affect the tire's acceleration, speed, and direction of movement. A higher velocity would result in a faster tire, while a lower velocity would result in a slower tire.

5. Can the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top be used to predict its future motion?

Yes, the velocity of the tire at the embankment's top can be used to predict its future motion to some extent. However, it is important to consider other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces that may affect the tire's motion. A more accurate prediction can be made by analyzing the tire's velocity at multiple points along its path.