Find Curvature of Ellipse: x=3*cos(t), y=4*sin(t)

In summary, the given points on the ellipse with parametric equations x=3*cos(t) and y=4*sin(t) are (3,0) and (0,4). To find the curvature at these points, we use the formula k(t)= (||r'(t) x r''(t)||)/||r'(t)||^3. Plugging in the values for r'(t) and r''(t), we get k(t)= 12/(9sint^2+16cost^2)^(3/2). Using the given points, we can find the values of t to be 0 or 2pi for (3,0) and pi/2 or 3pi/
soe236
Find Curvature of Ellipse given x=3*cos(t) and y=4*sin(t) at the points (3,0) and (0,4)

Relevant equations: curvature at r(s) is k(s)=||dT/ds|| when r(s) is arc length parametrization and T is the unit tangent vector
I usually use the formula k(t)= (||r'(t) x r''(t)||)/||r'(t)||^3

So, r(t)=<3cost,4sint> and r'(t)= <-3sint,4cost> and r''(t)=<-3cost,-4sint>
do I just plug them in for k(t)? And I'm clueless about how to use the given points. Someone help please. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can just plug them into k(t). You'll need to do a cross product, so take the z component of the vectors to be zero. When you get k as a function of t, then you just need to go back and set (3*cos(t),4*sin(t))=(3,0) and figure out what t is for the first point. Ditto for the second.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I completely understand

This is what I got so far, please correct me if I'm wrong:
r'(t) x r''(t)= 12sint^2+12cost^2 = 12
||r'(t) x r''(t)||= sqrt(144) =12
||r'(t)||^3 = (9sint^2+16cost^2)^(3/2)

k(t)= 12/(9sint^2+16cost^2)^(3/2)

from what you've said, (3*cos(t),4*sin(t))=(3,0), so 3cost=3 => t= 0 or 2pi and 4sint=0 => t=0 or 2pi
similarly (3*cos(t),4*sin(t))=(0,4), so 3cost=0 => t=pi/2 or 3pi/2 and 4sint=4 => t=pi/2

Sry if this is a stupid question, but how do I apply that to k(t)?

soe236 said:
Thanks, but I'm not sure I completely understand

This is what I got so far, please correct me if I'm wrong:
r'(t) x r''(t)= 12sint^2+12cost^2 = 12
||r'(t) x r''(t)||= sqrt(144) =12
||r'(t)||^3 = (9sint^2+16cost^2)^(3/2)

k(t)= 12/(9sint^2+16cost^2)^(3/2)

from what you've said, (3*cos(t),4*sin(t))=(3,0), so 3cost=3 => t= 0 or 2pi and 4sint=0 => t=0 or 2pi
similarly (3*cos(t),4*sin(t))=(0,4), so 3cost=0 => t=pi/2 or 3pi/2 and 4sint=4 => t=pi/2

Sry if this is a stupid question, but how do I apply that to k(t)?

That looks ok to me. So the question is just asking you what is k(0) and k(pi/2), right? Those are the curvatures of the ellipse at the two given points.

Oh I see.. okay, thank you very much!

Related to Find Curvature of Ellipse: x=3*cos(t), y=4*sin(t)

1. What is the equation for the given ellipse?

The equation for the given ellipse is x=3*cos(t), y=4*sin(t).

2. How do you find the center of the ellipse?

The center of the ellipse can be found by taking the average of the x and y coefficients, which in this case would be (0,0).

3. How do you find the length of the major and minor axes?

The length of the major axis is equal to 2a, where a is the coefficient of the x-term. In this case, the major axis has a length of 6 units. The length of the minor axis is equal to 2b, where b is the coefficient of the y-term. In this case, the minor axis has a length of 8 units.

4. How do you determine the direction of the major and minor axes?

The direction of the major axis can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x-term. If it is positive, the major axis will be along the x-axis in the positive direction. If it is negative, the major axis will be along the x-axis in the negative direction. The direction of the minor axis can be determined in the same way by looking at the coefficient of the y-term.

5. How do you find the curvature of the ellipse at a given point?

The curvature at a given point on the ellipse can be found by taking the absolute value of the second derivative of the ellipse equation and plugging in the x and y coordinates of the point. The result will be the curvature at that point.