Experiment with forces - Formula question

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the height of a ball that was held at a high point and then dropped. The formula used was initially incorrect, but upon further calculation, it gave the correct answer. There is also mention of using different equations to find the height, such as the conservation of energy equation. Finally, there is a discussion about the correct equation to use, with suggestions to use s=ut+at^2/2 or vt-at^2/2.
-Physician

Homework Statement

I took a ball of mass= 530g and someone held it in a high for me, i wanted to find that high and what i did is :
1. act a force of 7N on it
2. the time of ball going down was 3s
i wanted to find the high and what i did is:
##high=force acted * time / mass##
when i calculated that, the units were wrong and i squared the time. What i won was this:
##h=\frac{Ft^2}{m}## and i got
##m=\frac{\frac{kgm}{s^2} * s^2}{kg}##
(kg simplified with kilogram, the s^2 with s^2 , and i won m)
I did the same thing again and the high was exactly as calculated ( 120.7547169811321m)(121m)
But I think there's still something wrong in formula because there's no gravity in formula , but then my friend said ##a=F/m## but in this case we have a high so gravity would be F/m, and we would still win ##h=gt^2## . Is all this right? thanks for reading !

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the ball was in a free fall from this height?

The simplest equation you can get is [itex]h = \frac{gt^2}{2}[/itex]. Your equation [itex]h = \frac{Ft^2}{m}[/itex] is exactly this (after simplification), and the acceleration of gravity is hidden in the force:

[itex]h = \frac{Ft^2}{m} = \frac{mgt^2}{m} = gt^2[/itex],

though [itex] 2[/itex] in the denominator is missing.

You can also try the conservation of energy: [itex] \frac{mv^2}{2} = mgh \rightarrow h = \frac{v^2}{2g}[/itex] but then you would have to know the final velocity (before hitting the ground).

Last edited:
So my formula is wrong?

-Physician said:
act a force of 7N on it
This was a vertically-directed force? What arrangement did you use to cause 7N to continuously act on the ball while it was falling? How did you neutralize gravity for your experiment?
the time of ball going down was 3s
i wanted to find the high and what i did is:
##high=force acted * time / mass##
So you invented your own equationhttps://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif And you're surprised that it seems to give the right answer?
I'm surprised, too, but can't explain it. http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7701/questionicon.gif

The equation you need is: s = ut + ½·at2

Last edited by a moderator:
As I see, you didn't read all the post bro, the high=force acted *time/mass was wrong, next time read all the post...
s=ut+at^2/2, it's v_0t not ut , or vt - at^2/2

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is force = mass x acceleration, or F=ma.

2. How do you measure force in an experiment?

Force can be measured using a device called a force meter or by using a dynamometer. These devices have a spring that stretches when a force is applied, and the amount of stretch can be used to determine the force.

3. What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is the measurement of the force of gravity on an object, while force is a measurement of the push or pull on an object caused by another object.

4. How does the direction of force affect an object?

The direction of force can determine the motion of an object. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, it will speed up. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will slow down or stop. If the force is applied at an angle, it will cause the object to move in a curved path.

5. Can forces cancel each other out?

Yes, forces can cancel each other out if they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This is known as a balanced force and will result in no change in the object's motion.