Projectile Motion Experiment: Results Too High?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving a projectile motion experiment. The speaker recorded the motion using a motion tracker, which gave an acceleration of 14.02 m/s^2 for the y component of the ball. This is higher than the expected value of 9.8 m/s^2 and raises questions about the accuracy of the experiment. Suggestions are made to use a larger reference object and ensure accurate length calibration and camera positioning.
burakyildiz
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hello everyone,
I have a homework about projectile motion experiment and I threw small ball over the table and ball did projectile motion at the end of the table and ı recording this motion on motion tracker and motion tracker gave me acceleration of y component of ball as 14.02 m/s^2. But it has to be 9.8 m/s^2 or at least 10 or 9 m/s^2. Why tracker gave me this results? Should i do the experiment again?

Ekran görüntüsü 2021-12-12 134042.png

Ekran görüntüsü 2021-12-12 133843.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure your length calibration is accurate: Use a larger reference object, that is placed right where the trajectory is.

As a control: Use the vertical fall distance position y(t) and the equation: a = 2 * y(t) / t2

Likes Orodruin, berkeman, DrClaude and 2 others
What @A.T. said. You have chosen an object far off to the side of the image as reference. Ideally your reference should be in the middle of the image and quite large.

Furthermore, your axes look quite tilted in comparison to the objects. You want to position the camera at a right angle to the wall and pointing as straight at your experimental setup as possible to avoid artefacts arising from perspective.

1. Why are my results for the projectile motion experiment too high?

There are several possible reasons for this. One reason could be measurement error, either in the initial velocity or the distance traveled. Another reason could be air resistance, which can cause the projectile to slow down and not reach the expected height or distance. Additionally, there could be errors in the calculation or assumptions made during the experiment.

2. How can I improve my results for the projectile motion experiment?

To improve your results, it is important to minimize measurement errors by using precise and accurate equipment. Additionally, reducing air resistance by conducting the experiment in a vacuum or using a more aerodynamic projectile can also improve the results. It is also important to carefully follow the steps of the experiment and double-check all calculations and assumptions made.

3. Can external factors affect the results of the projectile motion experiment?

Yes, external factors such as wind, temperature, and humidity can affect the results of the experiment. Wind can cause the projectile to deviate from its expected path, while temperature and humidity can affect air resistance and the behavior of the projectile. It is important to control for these factors as much as possible during the experiment.

4. How do I calculate the expected results for the projectile motion experiment?

The expected results can be calculated using the equations of motion and the initial conditions of the experiment, such as the initial velocity and angle of launch. It is important to also consider external factors such as air resistance and gravity when making these calculations.

5. What are some sources of error in the projectile motion experiment?

Some possible sources of error include measurement error, air resistance, external factors, and human error in calculations or assumptions. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to obtain more accurate results in the experiment.