Another Notation Thing: Del^2 V

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the subscript (\theta, \phi) on the Laplace operator is used to specify the variables or coordinates on which the operator is operating. This notation is commonly used in the context of integrating potentials on spherical surfaces, where the subscript (\theta, \phi) represents the variables held constant, while subscript r represents the variable being integrated over. In some cases, the subscript xy can also be used to represent the partial derivatives with respect to the respective variables.
Swapnil
What does the subscript [tex](\theta, \phi)[/tex] mean on the laplace operator? i.e.

[tex]{\nabla}^2 V_{(\theta, \phi)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide the context of this notation?

hmm, the lapace operator is normally just the nabla^2, perhaps the subscipt specifies the variables/co-ordinates of the function V on which the laplace operator is operating

I think the variables should be on the operator, and not on the potential. I've seen it most commonly like this:

[tex]\nabla^2_{r'} V(r-r')[/tex]

where the subscript is to remind us that, as CPL.Luke says, that we are differentiating with respect to the dashed variables (or undashed, as it is in your example)

masudr said:
I think the variables should be on the operator, and not on the potential. I've seen it most commonly like this:

[tex]\nabla^2_{r'} V(r-r')[/tex]

where the subscript is to remind us that, as CPL.Luke says, that we are differentiating with respect to the dashed variables (or undashed, as it is in your example)
Ooops..:blushing: I meant to put the subscript on the operator not on the function. Sorry about that.

In response to the context of my question, the author who used this notation was integrating the potential on the surface of the sphere. So I guess the notation [tex]{{\nabla}^2}_{(\theta, \phi)} V[/tex] is used to denote the variables which are held constant while the notation [tex]{{\nabla}^2}_r V[/tex] is used to denote the variable(s) which are being integrated over.

I've seen [tex]\nabla^2_{xy}[/tex] to mean

[tex]\nabla^2_{xy}=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}[/tex]

quasar987 said:
I've seen [tex]\nabla^2_{xy}[/tex] to mean

[tex]\nabla^2_{xy}=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}[/tex]

This is what i would say. i believe the theta and phi in the subscript in the original post imply spherical coordinates.

without the radial derivatives.

1. What does "Del^2 V" represent in Another Notation Thing?

In Another Notation Thing, "Del^2 V" represents the second derivative of the scalar field V with respect to the position vector.

2. How is "Del^2 V" calculated?

"Del^2 V" is calculated by taking the Laplacian operator (∇^2) and applying it to the scalar field V. This can also be written as (∇^2)V.

3. What is the physical significance of Del^2 V?

The physical significance of Del^2 V is that it represents the rate of change or curvature of the scalar field V at a specific point in space. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and potential energy.

4. Is "Del^2 V" the same as "d^2V/dx^2 + d^2V/dy^2 + d^2V/dz^2"?

Yes, "Del^2 V" is equivalent to the sum of the second partial derivatives of V with respect to the x, y, and z coordinates. This is because the Laplacian operator (∇^2) is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives.

5. Can "Del^2 V" be negative?

Yes, "Del^2 V" can be negative. This indicates that the scalar field V is concave downward at that point. In physics, this may represent a region of lower potential energy or a force pulling in the opposite direction of the scalar field's gradient.