Rotational Kinetic Energy -> Lightning Speed Running?

In summary, a solid cylindrical flywheel with a mass of 200 kg and a radius of 0.8 m, rotating at a rate of 15,000 revolutions per minute, has a moment of inertia of 64 kg*m and a rotational kinetic energy of 7.9 * 10^7 J. Assuming all of this energy is converted into making a person with a mass of 65 kg run, they would have a velocity of approximately 1600 m/s. While this is not a practical scenario, it demonstrates the large amount of energy stored in a spinning flywheel.
eraemia

Homework Statement

Suppose a solid cylindrical flywheel has a mass of 200 kg and a radius of 0.8 m and rotates at a rate of 15,000 revolutions per minute. If you were able to convert all of its rotational kinetic energy into making you run, how fast would you be going? (Assume your mass is about 65 kg).

Homework Equations

Conversion from revolutions to rad:
1 rev/s = 2*pi*rad/s

Moment of inertia of solid cylinder:
I = (1/2)MR^2

Rotational kinetic energy of a rotating object:
Krot = (1/2)Iw^2

Kinetic energy:
K = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

M = 200 kg is mass of solid cylindrical flywheel
m = 65 kg is my mass
R = 0.8m
w = 15000 rev/min = 250 rev/s = 500*pi*rad/s

Find moment of inertia of solid cylindrical flywheel:
I = (1/2)MR^2
I = (1/2)(200 kg)(0.8)^2
I = 64 kg*m

Find rotational kinetic energy of solid cylindrical flywheel:
Krot = (1/2)Iw^2
Krot = (1/2)(64 kg*m)(500*pi*rad/s)^2
Krot = 7.9 * 10^7 J

If Krot = K, then solve for v:
Krot = K = 7.9 * 10^7 J
K = (1/2)mv^2
v = sqrroot[ (2K) / m]
v = sqrroot[ (2*7.9*10^7 J) / 65 kg ]
v = 1559 = 1600 m/s

Can I set Krot = K like that? Is my approach to this problem correct? Thanks a lot for the help!
EDIT: The velocity figure looks weird...Nobody can run that fast... Where did I make a mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or do I find v with v = rw? (but that wouldn't relate to energy? I'm terribly confused)

That is the correct way to do it ( haven't checked arithmateic)
Nobody can run that fast, but they also can't carry a 200kg flywheel running spinning at 250Hz! Large flywheels store a lot of energy - and can dump it very quickly.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is dependent on the object's mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy related to lightning speed running?

In the context of running, rotational kinetic energy refers to the energy generated by the rotation of the legs during the running motion. This energy is transferred to the ground, propelling the runner forward and contributing to their speed.

3. Can rotational kinetic energy be increased to improve running speed?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be increased by increasing the angular velocity of the legs. This can be achieved through proper running form, strength training, and plyometric exercises.

4. Are there any risks associated with focusing on increasing rotational kinetic energy for running?

As with any type of training, there is a risk of injury if not done properly. It is important to gradually increase rotational kinetic energy and not to overexert oneself. It is also important to maintain proper form to prevent strain on the joints and muscles.

5. Is there a limit to how much rotational kinetic energy can be generated for running?

Yes, there is a limit to how much rotational kinetic energy can be generated for running. This is determined by an individual's physical capabilities and can vary from person to person. It is important to listen to your body and not push beyond your limits to prevent injury.