Electric Dipoles and potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the potential energy U(theta) associated with an electric dipole's orientation in an external electric field. The dipole has a moment of inertia I and charges +q and -q at a distance d apart. The potential energy is found by integrating the torque produced by the electric field, which is given by qEdsin(theta). The limits of integration are from the current angle to when the dipole is parallel to the E field, with U(theta) being most negative when theta = 0.
StephenDoty
Consider an electric dipole whose dipole moment is oriented at angle theta with respect to the y axis. There is an external electric field of magnitude E pointing in the positive y direction. The positive and negative ends of the dipole have charges + q and - q, respectively, and the two charges are a distance d apart. The dipole has a moment of inertia I about its center of mass. (See Picture)

Using torque = qEdsin(theta), find the potential energy U(theta) associated with the dipole's orientation in the field as a function of the angle theta shown in the figure. Take the zero of the potential to occur when the dipole is at angle pi/2; that is, U(pi/2) = 0.
Express U(theta) in terms of the given quantities.

torque= I * angular acceleration
= I*[tex]\omega[/tex] d[tex]\omega[/tex]/d[tex]\theta[/tex]
integrate both sides =
w=[tex]\sqrt{-qEd/I * cos(pi/2- theta 0)}[/tex]

Now what do I do?

Thanks.
Stephen

Attachments

• Dipole2.jpg
    Dipole2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 933
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine drawing a longer line thru the dipole that extends out past the two charges. Draw an E field vector at the center of q+ of some convenient length pointing in the direction of +y. Do the same for -q (only pointing in the -y direction). Project the E vector at +q onto the dipole extension line; i.e. draw E's components in the dir of the dipole line and normal to the line.

Now - looking at the drawing:

1. What does ESin(theta) represent?
2. Then, what is qESin(theta)?
3. Pick a new angle for the dipole, say halfway back to the y axis. What is happening to qESin(theta) as the dipole swings toward the y axis? How is it related to the motion of charge q+?
4. Now, imagine that the dipole is set free to rotate. At regular intervals of arc length along its circular swing a magical instrument of your own design records the torque producing (tangential) force that E is continuously applying to q+. Imagine it supplies 1000 force readings between the starting angle and when it is parallel to the y axis.
5. Since you know that the total arc length was being broken up into 1000 little arc lengths, one for each force reading, and you now possesses the associated 1000 tangential force readings, what could you do with that force and distance data to give you an approximation of the original potential energy U?

OK, so now you have an approximation for U(theta). Make it a better approximation.

Suppose you try it again from the same starting angle. This time you set the instrument to take 10,000 readings at 10,000 regular distances of arc travel. Then do it for 100,000. A million! Notice what is happening to the approximated U? How can you mathematically perform the same process but for an infinite number of readings, breaking the arc into an infinite number of differential arcs lengths of travel and thereby obtain something better than an approximation?

[Don't forget - the same thing is happening at q- so your findings need a minor adjustment]

Now, if all has gone well, you should have an expression for U(theta).

jf

Esin(theta) becomes smaller as the dipole moves to the positive y axis. qEdsin(theta) is the torque. Would you integrate torque?

Sorry - I didn't originally see the d in qEdsin(theta).

The E component of torque producing force for one charge is the qEsin(theta) part of the expression. For each charge that qEsin(theta) force is acting at distance of d/2 from the center of rotation so each torque is qEsin(theta)*d/2. So, for the combined charges its twice that or qEdsin(theta).

So, the torque is a function of angle.

t(theta) = qEdsin(a)

The potential energy is the amount of work that the E field will do in rotating the dipole into parallel alignment with the E field (at angle theta = 0). That work (and therefore the potental energy) is obtained by integrating the product of the torque as a function of angle, t(theta), and the differential element of angular displacement, dtheta. That's equal to the integral of qEdsin(theta)dtheta. Notice that q, E, and d, are constants.jf

the integral of qEdsin(theta) dtheta
=
qEd (-cos(theta))

what would the limits of integration be?

As shown in the diagram, theta refers to the angle in relation to the E field direction. So, if we call the initial angle 'a', the limits are from theta=a to theta=0.

Notice something else here. The wording of the problem refers to U(Pi/2)=0 and asks you to find U(theta) which raises an ambiguity. That wording implies that theta is in relation to the X axis, NOT the E field. The angle "theta" we're using is the angle "theta" as shown in the diagram; i.e. relative to the E field. In that case the angle when the dipole is parallel with the E field (and the Y axis) and U(theta)=0 is theta=0, not theta=Pi/2.jf

jackiefrost said:
Notice something else here. The wording of the problem refers to U(Pi/2)=0 and asks you to find U(theta) which raises an ambiguity. That wording implies that theta is in relation to the X axis, NOT the E field. The angle "theta" we're using is the angle "theta" as shown in the diagram; i.e. relative to the E field. In that case the angle when the dipole is parallel with the E field (and the Y axis) and U(theta)=0 is theta=0, not theta=Pi/2.

Perhaps that's exactly what the question is asking for, it wants you to take U(π/2) = 0 where the dipole is parallel with the x-axis. Then U will be most negative when θ = 0. The limits would then be from wherever U=0 to the current position, from θ = π/2 to θ, if the integral used is U = - int(τ(θ)dθ).

It's a bit confusing. The drawing shows theta as the angle the dipole makes with the E field (parallel with the Y axis). If the dipole was lined up parallel to the E field where +q is toward +Y, U should be zero there. According to the diagram, that would be theta = 0. If they are now going to call that angle theta = pi/2 then the angle shown in the diagram should have been (pi/2 - theta).

Or, am I missing something here?

jf

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the separation and strength of the charges.

2. How does an electric dipole interact with an electric field?

An electric dipole will experience a torque in an external electric field, causing it to align with the field. This is because the charges experience a different force due to their separation, creating a net torque.

3. What is the potential energy of an electric dipole?

The potential energy of an electric dipole is the energy required to bring the charges from an infinite separation to their current separation. It is given by U = -pE, where p is the dipole moment and E is the electric field.

4. How does the potential energy of an electric dipole change with orientation?

The potential energy of an electric dipole is at a minimum when the dipole is aligned with the electric field and at a maximum when it is perpendicular to the field. This is because in the aligned position, the dipole experiences no torque and therefore no change in potential energy.

5. Can an electric dipole have zero potential energy?

No, an electric dipole will always have some potential energy as long as it is in an external electric field. Even if the dipole is aligned with the field, there will still be a change in potential energy as the charges move closer together. This can be seen from the formula U = -pE, where E cannot be equal to zero.