Small signal approximation diode model

In summary, the conversation discusses using the small-signal model of a diode to predict output voltages for given input voltages and plotting a graph based on the model. The user is new to the forum and apologizes for any inconvenience. The small-signal model is described as a formula that needs to be substituted with specific values. The conversation also includes information about the diode current and its relation to voltage, and a diagram of the circuit is provided for reference.
Bolterx101
hello all I am new here so i don't know if this is the correct place for this topic so sorry for any inconvenience caused.

this is my question:
Use the small-signal model of the diode to predict the output voltages for the input voltages given. Plot a graph of | vout(t) | based on the small signal model.

Input Voltage 1 = 0.65 + 0.04cos(2*pi*200*t) V
Input Voltage 2 = 0.68 + 0.01cos(2*pi*200*t) V
0 ≤ t ≤ 20ms

i know vout = -Is*R*exp(vin/Vt)

How would you solve this? what basically is the small signal model? is it like a formula that I have to substitute these values in? And for the graph what goes on the x-axis and what goes on the y-axis?

I've got a diagram of the circuit if it helps for you to see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24949707@N07/3430348460/

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums ... and sorry about the delayed response.

This explains the small-signal model for diodes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_modelling#Small-signal_modelling

For Input 1 you'll need to figure out:
  • The diode current when Vdiode = 0.65V
  • dI/dV for the diode, when Vdiode = 0.65V

Use that information to get a linear relation between I and V, that is the small-signal model for the diode.

Dear user,

The small signal approximation diode model is a simplified model used to analyze the behavior of a diode in response to small changes in input voltage. It is based on the assumption that the diode is operating in the forward biased region and the input voltage is small enough that the diode's exponential relationship between voltage and current can be approximated as linear.

To solve this problem, you can use the small signal model equation you provided, vout = -Is*R*exp(vin/Vt), and substitute in the given values for the input voltages and time. The small signal model is essentially a formula that relates the output voltage to the input voltage and diode parameters.

For the graph, the x-axis would be time (t) and the y-axis would be the absolute value of the output voltage (|vout(t)|). You can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph based on the equation and given values.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Good luck with your analysis!

1. What is the small signal approximation diode model?

The small signal approximation diode model is a simplified mathematical representation of the behavior of a diode under small changes in voltage or current. It is used to analyze and design electronic circuits that contain diodes.

2. How does the small signal approximation diode model differ from the ideal diode model?

The ideal diode model assumes that the diode has no resistance in the forward direction and infinite resistance in the reverse direction. The small signal approximation model takes into account the small but non-negligible resistance of the diode in both directions, as well as its capacitance.

3. What are the key parameters in the small signal approximation diode model?

The key parameters in this model are the forward resistance (rF), the reverse resistance (rR), and the junction capacitance (Cj). These parameters are used to calculate the small signal behavior of the diode.

4. How is the small signal approximation diode model used in circuit analysis?

The small signal approximation diode model is used to determine the small signal behavior of a diode in a circuit. This includes calculating the voltage and current changes in the diode due to small changes in the input signal, as well as the impedance of the diode at different frequencies.

5. What are the limitations of the small signal approximation diode model?

The small signal approximation diode model is only accurate for small changes in voltage or current. It also assumes that the diode is operating in its forward-biased region, and does not take into account any non-linear effects that may occur at higher voltages or currents. Additionally, the model does not account for temperature effects on the diode.