Stop the world, I'm getting dizzy

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of stopping the Earth's rotation by having everyone in the world walk in the same direction or using parachutes to stop. It was mentioned that angular momentum would be conserved and calculations were made for the angular momentum of the Earth and 6 billion people walking at 1 meter/second. The conversation also drew a comparison to the airplane on a treadmill problem.
tribdog
Okay if everyone in the world started walking east at the same time would that be enough to stop the world from spinning, at least until they stopped walking? If we all had parachutes to use to stop would we be able to keep the world stopped?

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
Okay if everyone in the world started walking east at the same time would that be enough to stop the world from spinning, at least until they stopped walking? If we all had parachutes to use to stop would we be able to keep the world stopped?

Angular momentum would be conserved …

so what is the angular momentum of the Earth, and what would be the angular momentum of 6 billion people of average mass at say 1 metre/second walking round the equator? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Angular momentum would be conserved …

so what is the angular momentum of the Earth, and what would be the angular momentum of 6 billion people of average mass at say 1 metre/second walking round the equator? :smile:

[tex]7 \times 10^{33} m^2 kg/s[/tex]

calc

[tex]2 \times 10^{18} m^2 kg/s[/tex]

calc

Last edited:
Wouldn't this be similar to the airplane on a treadmill problem? Save that people really are stuck on the tread mill.

What does "Stop the world, I'm getting dizzy" mean?

The phrase "Stop the world, I'm getting dizzy" is a common expression used to convey a feeling of being overwhelmed or in need of a break from the chaos and fast pace of life.

Is "Stop the world, I'm getting dizzy" a scientific concept?

No, "Stop the world, I'm getting dizzy" is not a scientific concept. It is a metaphorical phrase used to express a feeling of being overwhelmed or needing a break.

What are some possible causes of feeling dizzy?

Feeling dizzy can be caused by a variety of factors such as dehydration, low blood sugar, inner ear problems, medication side effects, or neurological conditions. It is important to consult a doctor if dizziness persists or is accompanied by other concerning symptoms.

How can I prevent feeling dizzy?

To prevent feeling dizzy, it is important to stay hydrated, maintain a healthy diet, avoid sudden changes in position, and practice stress management techniques. If dizziness is a frequent problem, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Can dizziness be a symptom of a more serious condition?

Yes, dizziness can be a symptom of a more serious condition such as an inner ear disorder, neurological disorder, or cardiovascular disease. It is important to consult a doctor if dizziness is accompanied by other concerning symptoms or occurs frequently.