How Is the Depth of the Potential Well Calculated for Free Electrons in Gold?

In summary, the depth of a potential well for free electrons in gold can be determined by the Fermi energy and the work function. To find the depth, we need to calculate N/V, which is equal to (Avogadro's number x density of gold) / (molar mass of gold). Using this equation, we can find the number of electrons per cubic meter and then take the cube root to get N/L. By solving for N/V, we can determine the depth of the potential well for a free electron in gold.
Dawei

Homework Statement

For free electrons in a metal, the depth of a potential well can be determined by observing that the work function is the energy required to remove an electron at the top of the occupied states from the metal; an electron in this state has the Fermi energy.

Assuming each atom provides one free electron to the gas, find the depth of the well for a free electron in gold (work function = 4.8 eV)

Homework Equations

5afda697888e24366242dd110d4c7d76.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that the answer will be just the fermi energy plus the work function, but I can't seem to get the right answer when plugging everything in.

For N/V, I used (Avogadro # x Density of gold) / (molar mass of gold) , and got 3.89 x 10^9 electrons / cubic meter

The answer should be on the order of 1 ev, but I can't seem to get this. The m here refers to the mass of a single electron, correct? But using that, I just don't get the right orders of magnitude. (I get about 5 x 10^6).

Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't nearly enough electrons in a cubic meter. You made a mistake in calculating N/V. Please show all of your work so we can see what you did wrong.

Yeah you're right. 10^9 was what I got when I took number of electrons / m^3 and raised it to the 1/3 power, to get N/L. I think I'm supposed to use the 1 dimensional equation.

edit: yeah I was just being dumb, I had it right, was just using the wrong units for mass. Thanks though.

Last edited:
You have the right equation. Just show your work on solving N/V so we can check it. Remember to show all units.

I would first check my calculations to make sure I am using the correct values and equations. I would also double check the units to make sure they are consistent. It is important to note that the work function and Fermi energy are typically given in units of electron volts (eV), while the mass of an electron is typically given in kilograms (kg). Therefore, it may be necessary to convert units in order to get the correct answer.

Additionally, I would make sure to use the correct formula for the depth of the potential well, which is given by:

V = (2/5)*(N/V)*(E_F)

where N/V is the number density of electrons and E_F is the Fermi energy. Plugging in the given values, I get a depth of the potential well of approximately 5 eV, which is consistent with the expected order of magnitude.

It is also important to note that the depth of the potential well may vary for different materials, as it depends on the number density of electrons and the Fermi energy, which can be affected by factors such as the crystal structure and temperature. Therefore, it is important to consider the specific material when determining the depth of the potential well.

1. What is a Fermion Gas well potential?

A Fermion Gas well potential is a type of potential energy that describes the interactions between particles in a fermionic gas. This potential is typically used in quantum mechanics to model the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. How does a Fermion Gas well potential differ from other potential energy models?

A Fermion Gas well potential differs from other potential energy models in that it takes into account the exclusion principle for fermions. This means that two fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state, leading to a unique behavior of the gas.

3. What are the applications of Fermion Gas well potential?

Fermion Gas well potential has several applications in physics, including in the study of superconductivity, the behavior of electrons in metals, and the properties of neutron stars. It is also used in the field of quantum computing to model the behavior of quantum bits.

4. How is a Fermion Gas well potential calculated?

A Fermion Gas well potential is typically calculated using mathematical equations derived from the Schrödinger equation. These equations take into account the mass and energy of the particles in the gas, as well as the strength of their interactions.

5. Can a Fermion Gas well potential be used to describe all types of fermionic gases?

No, a Fermion Gas well potential is a simplified model and may not accurately describe all types of fermionic gases. It is best suited for gases at low temperatures and low densities, and may not be applicable for highly dense or strongly interacting gases.