Why is spin-1 field described by a vector field?

In summary, a vector field can be made up of a scalar and a vector, while a spin-1 field can be made up of two vectors.
ingenue
It's a famous claim that spin-0, spin-1 and spin-2 fields are described by scalar, vector and second-rank tensor, respectively. My question is: why not other objects? For example, consider spin-1 field, we can use a field that carries two left spinor indexes. From the group-theoretic relation we know it contains a scalar component and a spin-1 component, the same as the vector representation.

This claim is first recognized (to my knowledge) on a classic paper (Fierz 1939 Helv. Phys. Acta, 12, 3), but it's in German and I can't find the English version online. Can anyone help me understand it? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector field carries spin-1. An object with spin-1 is not necessarily a fundamental vector field however. As you said, one can form a scalar and a vector out of two spinors. By the same token, something which has spin-2 could be made out of a pair of vectors.

Given that you seem to realize the above, I am not sure what your question is. If one is interested in fundamental particles (not composite objects) then one has no choice but to use scalar, spinor, vector and symmetric tensor field for spin-0, spin-1/2, spin-1 and spin-2. If one asks the question "what composite objects can make up a spin-1 ?" then there are more possible answers.

humanino said:
Given that you seem to realize the above, I am not sure what your question is. If one is interested in fundamental particles (not composite objects) then one has no choice but to use scalar, spinor, vector and symmetric tensor field for spin-0, spin-1/2, spin-1 and spin-2. If one asks the question "what composite objects can make up a spin-1 ?" then there are more possible answers.

In what sense are scalar, vector and tensor more "fundamental" than spinor? They're both representations of the Lorentz group.

ingenue said:
In what sense are scalar, vector and tensor more "fundamental" than spinor?
In no sense I can think of and I did not mean to convey such a claim.

I remember reading somewhere that you can get a spin-1 particle from an antisymmetric, self-dual tensor field. But such a field theory would not be parity invariant, and so it is unphysical.

So maybe the field you want to construct, is also not physical?

You should read the chapters of Srednicki about the representations of the Lorentz group (chapter 30 and onwards, or something like that). :)

haushofer said:
You should read the chapters of Srednicki about the representations of the Lorentz group (chapter 30 and onwards, or something like that). :)

I had read it. It doesn't address my question. For example, the equation (34.19) in the online version of that book shows that a field carries two symmetric spinor indexes is spin-1, so why can't we use this to describe spin-1 fields?

ingenue said:
I had read it. It doesn't address my question. For example, the equation (34.19) in the online version of that book shows that a field carries two symmetric spinor indexes is spin-1, so why can't we use this to describe spin-1 fields?
You can mathematically do so. The question coming next is then : what does it physically mean ?

One may be tempted to interpret this construction as a photon made-up from a pair of fermions. As you can imagine, this will run into problems.

One may be tempted to reformulate things in terms of twistors. I suspect you would be more interested in this direction.

Hey also i think only the field strength (the F tensor) can be described by a symmetric - spinor index - tensor, so you would still have to use a vector to describe the field itself in order to derive the field equations via the Langrangian.

1. Why is spin-1 field described by a vector field?

The spin of a particle is a fundamental property that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. In quantum field theory, particles with spin 1 are described by vector fields, which are mathematical objects that represent the particle's properties and interactions. This is because vector fields have the necessary mathematical properties to describe particles with spin 1, such as gauge invariance and Lorentz invariance.

2. What is the difference between spin-1 and spin-0 fields?

The main difference between spin-1 and spin-0 fields is the value of their spin. Spin-1 fields have a spin of 1, while spin-0 fields have a spin of 0. This difference in spin leads to different mathematical properties and physical behaviors. For example, spin-1 fields can have gauge invariance and interact with other particles, while spin-0 fields do not have these properties.

3. How does the spin of a particle affect its interactions?

The spin of a particle determines how it interacts with other particles and fields. For particles with spin 1, interactions are described by vector fields, which can have both attractive and repulsive forces. This is in contrast to particles with spin 0, which do not have interactions and are described by scalar fields. The spin of a particle also affects its stability and decay processes.

4. Can spin-1 fields exist in nature?

Yes, spin-1 fields exist in nature and have been observed in various particles. For example, photons, which are fundamental particles of light, have a spin of 1 and are described by vector fields. Similarly, the W and Z bosons, which are carriers of the weak nuclear force, also have a spin of 1 and are described by vector fields. Other examples include gluons, which have a spin of 1 and are described by vector fields in the theory of quantum chromodynamics.

5. What is the significance of spin-1 fields in quantum mechanics?

Spin-1 fields are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the fundamental building blocks of particles and their interactions. They play a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of matter at the quantum level. The description of spin-1 fields by vector fields has also been crucial in the development of quantum field theory, which is a fundamental framework for understanding the behavior of matter and forces in the universe.