Adjoint representation of Lorentz group

In summary, the conversation discusses the different representations of the Lorentz group and how they are related to different types of fields. It also touches on the concept of tensors and their representation in terms of matrices. The conversation ends with a question about the adjoint representation and its relation to fields.
gentsagree
Hey,

There are some posts about the reps of SO, but I'm confused about some physical understanding of this.

We define types of fields depending on how they transform under a Lorentz transformation, i.e. which representation of SO(3,1) they carry.
The scalar carries the trivial rep, and lives in a 1-dim vector space.
The vector carries a rep generated by 4x4 matrices, and lives in a 4-dim vector space, i.e. it is a 4-column.
Weyl spinors and Dirac spinors carry a irreducible 2-dim rep and a reducible 4-dim rep respectively.

I don't quite understand how to think of tensors. In particular, two things:

1. What objects carry the adjoint representation? This is generated by 6x6 matrices, so should act on 6-columns?

2. I read that a rank-2 tensor can be thought of something that transforms under the tensor product of two 4x4 matrices, i.e. a 16x16 matrix. Hence it should be a 16-column? How can I reconcile with writing a tensor as usual as a 4x4 matrix?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
A general vector space need not be represented by column vectors. Several matrix spaces are vector spaces as well. You can represent those with a column vector by simply listing the coefficients of some basis, but you do not have to.

Also note that the tensor representation is not irreducible. You can decompose it into several different irreps.

Thanks Orodruin.

So, group-theoretically, what am I doing when I am transforming a tensor g_\mu\nu with two Lambda matrices? I am decomposing the tensor product vector space into two spaces carrying the vector representation?

Also, any insight on what fields carry the adjoint rep?

No, generally the tensor product does not decompose into two vector representations. The prime example of this is looking at the tensor product of two copies of the fundamental representation of SU(2), which decomposes into a singlet and a triplet.

For the Lorentz group, the rank 2 tensor representation does not even have the correct number of dimensions to decompose into two vectors.

1. What is the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group?

The adjoint representation of the Lorentz group is a mathematical way to describe the transformations of the group on its own elements. It is a vector representation of the group that can be used to perform calculations and understand the group's properties.

2. How is the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group related to special relativity?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical representation of the symmetries of special relativity. The adjoint representation of this group is important because it helps us understand how these symmetries act on different physical quantities, such as momentum and energy.

3. What are the generators of the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group?

The generators of the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group are the angular momentum and boost operators. These operators are used to generate the transformations of the group on its own elements.

4. How is the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group is used to describe the symmetries of the fields and their interactions. It is a key component in constructing theories that are consistent with the principles of special relativity.

5. Can the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the adjoint representation of the Lorentz group can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it is used in theories of gravity, such as general relativity, which involve higher-dimensional spacetimes. The generators and transformations of the group are modified, but the fundamental principles remain the same.