Libyan forces have captured Muammar Gaddafi

• News
  • Thread starter DevilsAvocado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the NTC says they have captured and wounded Gaddafi, and that he may not be in good condition. It's possible they mistook his hairpiece for an animal that was about to attack and shot him in self-defense.
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A representative of the NTC is just giving an announcement on Libyan state TV announcing that Gaddafi was wounded and captured whilst trying to flee from rebels.

Great news if confirmed. It'll be nice to see that war criminal brought to justice.

Think the NTC will keep him, or send him to The Hague?

Last edited:
Looks like some serious fighting in Sirte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpZl6pLcSoQ

Several (local) sources say Gaddafi is dead...

He who lives by the sword...
Good riddance to him, the world has become an infinitely better place now.

CNN just showed a picture that they claimed was the apparently dead body of Gadaffi. However you can't really tell if he's dead or just really bloody and wounded.

Can’t confirm this, but CNN is showing a (different) photograph of Gaddafi dead:

Gaddafi Dead footage of him dying Very grapic Unseen

Last edited by a moderator:
DevilsAvocado said:
Can’t confirm this, but CNN is showing a (different) photograph of Gaddafi dead:

Gaddafi Dead footage of him dying Very grapic Unseen

Ugly in life, uglier in death.

arildno said:
Ugly in life, uglier in death.

Yup, and here comes more (looks like the real thing to me):

GADDAFI DEAD BODY - WARNING GENUINE & GRAPHIC

He did have a single redeeming quality (uhm, not actually redeeming, but..).
Rather good looks, that faded as he let himself corrupt by power:
[PLAIN]http://www.newsabridged.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gaddafi_69_putsch_d_326961g.jpeg

Quite the Dorian Grey..

arildno said:
... Rather good looks, that faded as he let himself corrupt by power

Very true:

500px-Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg

This is good news that, like arildno said, he lived through violence and now his ending has been violent. I'm glad he didn't escape. This sends a powerful message to the rest of the middle east (or well, is yet ANOTHER powerful message).

The day he claimed that the streets will run with the blood of every single person fighting him was the day I knew he didn't deserve to be brought up to a court.

Agree 100% Pengwuino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyQUp05wFHs

Sky News is showing 'live' pictures of Muammar Gaddafi lying dead on the ground, and now also on CNN.

It looks like a definite confirmation.

l-team-2.jpg

Shut up, fool. - BA Baracus.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3368610/hes-dead-jim

I just saw a video of ghaddafi, badly wounded, but still alive. It's on the Guardian's website, I won't link to it..

Last edited:
yeah, i was just watching it at mondoweiss. he's a bloody mess, and it's not obvious what those wounds are from.

Evo said:
I just saw a video of ghaddafi, badly wounded. It's on the Guardian's website, I won't link to it..

Is it possible they might have mistaken his hairpiece for a wild animal (that was about to attack them) - as it fell off - and (pure accident) shot him in self defense?:uhh:

I also don't know how he died but it is certain that he died bad. It is kind of ironic how people, whom he called "cockroaches", killed him.

I think it's horrible that he was killed in cold blood like that. It's a very bad thing.

He deserved being brought in front of a courtroom and being judged. It's the only way that closure can really happen. Killing him in cold blood like that was not ok.

micromass said:
I think it's horrible that he was killed in cold blood like that. It's a very bad thing.

He deserved being brought in front of a courtroom and being judged. It's the only way that closure can really happen. Killing him in cold blood like that was not ok.
Perhaps it wasn't in cold blood, perhaps he simply bled out from his wounds. It didn't appear that he was getting medical aid.

Evo said:
Perhaps it wasn't in cold blood, perhaps he simply bled out from his wounds. It didn't appear that he was getting medical aid.

Could be. I'd like to know though. I was actually looking forward seeing him on trial having to answer for his crimes. And then probably rotting in jail. Right now, he got off easy.

"Closure" is in the eye of the beholder, in my opinion.

micromass said:

Libya already got loads of problems .. I don't think they could afford courtroom.

It would have been way harder to make progress with alive Gaddafi and his supporters still lurking around.

War is hell. Killing the leader of the enemy who had killed thousands without blinking a eye is very OK and is the usual custom in a ongoing battle. Just because he was captured didn't mean the fighting would stop. With him very publicly dead, his supporters have less to fight for.

rootX said:
Libya already got loads of problems .. I don't think they could afford courtroom.

It would have been way harder to make progress with alive Gaddafi and his supporters still lurking around.

They could have tried him in Den Hague.

And they didn't kill Saddam Hussain for example. We didn't really see much of his supporters. He got the trial and the punishment he deserved.

Killing an unarmed prisoner because "it'll make life easier" is not ok at all. I understand it, but I don't approve of it.

micromass said:
They could have tried him in Den Hague.

And they didn't kill Saddam Hussain for example. We didn't really see much of his supporters. He got the trial and the punishment he deserved.

Killing an unarmed prisoner because "it'll make life easier" is not ok at all. I understand it, but I don't approve of it.
Forget what I said, I don't know how he died, it was probably from the existing wounds suffered in battle, he looked pretty bad. See, I corrected my post.

rootX said:
I also don't know how he died but it is certain that he died bad. It is kind of ironic how people, whom he called "cockroaches", killed him.

to me, it looks like some time after he was paraded through the street, he received a bullet to the forehead, just a few inches left of center.

Evo said:
it was probably from the existing wounds suffered in battle, he looked pretty bad.

I believe that too. It seems most plausible.

Proton Soup said:
to me, it looks like some time after he was paraded through the street, he received a bullet to the forehead, just a few inches left of center.
I also recall reading something along the lines he was dragged on the streets but that claim was not supported.

rootX said:
I also recall reading something along the lines he was dragged on the streets but that claim was not supported.

it's still where i found it. i'll leave it as a puzzle to you to find it, as linking it is frowned upon. it wasn't really dragged like dragged behind a pickup. more like holding him up as he doesn't have the strength to stand on his own. to me, he still looks alive there, and i don't think he would look alive with the hole in his forehead i saw on CNN a short time ago.