Confusion regarding notation of instantaneous velocity wrt something.

In summary, v(t) represents velocity as a function of time, while v(x) represents velocity as a function of distance. Both are equal to dx/dt, but they are defined with respect to different parameters. Additionally, if given a function x(t), one can rearrange it to find t(x) and use the reciprocal of d##t(x)##/dx to find v(x). This approach will result in a velocity with units of m/sec.
AakashPandita
I know that v(t)=dx/dt

Then what is v(x) and how?

Is it also dx/dt or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the simplest example, motion in one dimension with constant acceleration. Write down the two equations describing v(t), x(t) and try to eliminate the parameter t from the two equations to get v(x).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
First of all thanks for replying.

I took the equation v(t)=2t^2 and differentiated it to get x(t)=2t.
But again the same confusion cropped up. If v(t)=dx/dt then what is x(t)?

To get v(t) from x(t) you differentiate x(t).

To get x(t) from v(t) you use the operation that "undoes" differentiation. Which operation is that?

integration

Yes. And what is the integral (also called "anti-differentiation) of [itex]2t^2[/itex]? That is, what function has [itex]2t^2[/itex] as its derivative?

AakashPandita said:
...then what is x(t)?

You mean ##v(x)## not ##x(t)##, right?

You remember back in algebra you learned that rate times time equals distance: rt = d

Well in this case, x replaces the distance d, and v replaces the rate r. If the velocity is changing with time, you need to express the relationship in terms of differentials: v dt = dx. But, otherwise, it is basically the same thing you learned in Algebra I.

If v(t)= dx/dt (change in position wrt time)
then what is v(x) (change in position wrt position?)
=dx/dx=1?

AakashPandita said:
If v(t)= dx/dt (change in position wrt time)
then what is v(x) (change in position wrt position?)
=dx/dx=1?
You need to think carefully before writing your questions, because a poorly considered question won't encourage the help you may be hoping for.

v(t) is velocity as it varies with time, and v(t)=dx/dt

But more precisely, v(t)=d x(t) / dt

x(t) being displacement as it varies with time

Following the usual convention, v(x) must be velocity as it varies with displacement

Exercise: If x(t)=t^2, and you already showed v(t)= dx(t)/dt = 2t, then determine v(x).

More conceptually, imagine that you are driving a car down the road. At 1:00 PM you look at the instrument panel and observe that the speedometer reads 50 km/hr and the odometer reads 23765.8 km. Then v(t) = 50 km/hr for t = 1:00 PM, and v(x) = 50 km/hr for x = 23765.8 km.

AakashPandita said:
I took the equation v(t)=2t^2 and differentiated it to get x(t)=2t.
No you didn't. You took the equation v(t)=t^2 and differentiated it to get

a(t) = 2t because dv/dt gives acceleration.

If v(t)=dx/dt
v(x)= d?/d?

Have you read the previous posts? If you are still confused, ask a follow up question. Please don't just repeat the question. When I first saw this thread I was excited because I have seen a lot of students struggle with this, but you must actually make an attempt to learn

Please go back to your advanced algebra textbook and look up what the notation f(x) means.

f(x) means "the parameter f expressed as a function of the parameter x"

f(t) means "the parameter f expressed as a function of the parameter t"

So, v(t) represents the velocity v expressed as a function of the time t

v(x) represents the velocity v expressed as a function of the distance x

In both these cases, v is the same parameter.

Okay now I understand.I finally worked it out. Thank you very much for talking some sense into me.
v(t) and v(x) are both equal to dx/dt but both the functions define velocity wrt different parameters while dx/dt simply means change in x in very small interval of time.
Am I right?

aakashpandita said:
okay now i understand.i finally worked it out. Thank you very much for talking some sense into me.
V(t) and v(x) are both equal to dx/dt but both the functions define velocity wrt different parameters while dx/dt simply means change in x in very small interval of time.
Am i right?
YES. Perfect!

AakashPandita said:
If v(t)=dx/dt
v(x)= d?/d?
This is a good question, and has been addressed. But is there an alternative approach?

Normally, we are given x as a function of time, viz., x(t), and to determine d##x(t)##/dt we differentiate w.r.t. time. But you could take that x(t) and re-arrange it into time as a function of x, t(x) (at least, you can for some functions x(t), otherwise, use a restricted range.)

Now, given t(x), how to determine velocity, dx/dt?

v(x) = 1/(d##t(x)##/dx)

I.e., v(x) = the reciprocal of d##t(x)##/dx

You can see that this has units of m/sec, i.e., velocity.

Thank You. This made things more clear.

1. What is the notation for instantaneous velocity?

The notation for instantaneous velocity is v(t), where v represents velocity and t represents time. It is also sometimes written as vt or ẋ.

2. What does "wrt" mean in relation to instantaneous velocity?

"wrt" stands for "with respect to," and is used to indicate the reference point or frame of reference for measuring instantaneous velocity. For example, if the notation is vA(t), it indicates the instantaneous velocity of an object A with respect to a certain point or frame of reference.

3. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. Instantaneous velocity gives a more precise measurement of an object's velocity at a particular point, while average velocity gives an overall measurement of an object's velocity over a period of time.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen frame of reference. For example, if the notation is vA(t) and the value is -10 m/s, it means that object A is moving at a speed of 10 m/s in the opposite direction of the chosen frame of reference.

5. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time. In other words, it is the slope of the tangent line to the position-time graph of an object at a specific point in time. It can also be calculated by taking the limit of average velocity as the time interval approaches zero.