How Do You Solve These Physics Problems on Motion and Vectors?

In summary: Just remember to convert your units to match. In summary, for question 1, the velocity of the stone after 0.50 seconds is 2.1 m/s. For question 2, the speed of the airplane at the end of the 400m runway is 26.4 m/s. And for question 3, the components of the displacement vector are 17 m in the north direction and 29.4 m in the east direction. Remember to use the correct trigonometric functions and convert units as needed.
alksjadf
1.) A stone is thrown with an initial velocity of 7.0m/s. the acceleration of the stone is constant and has the value of -9.8m/s to the power of ((2)). What is the velocity of the stone after .50 s?

I put 2.1 not sure if it's right.

2.) An airplane starts from rest and accelerates at 10.8 m/s to power of ((2)). What is its speed at the end of a 400m long runway.

I don't really know where to begin.

3.) A displacement vector is 34.0m in length and is directed 60.0 degrees east of north. What are the components of this vector?

Again I don't even know where to begin.

It would be nice if someone could explain these to me. Thanks in advance.

Alksjadf

Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1.) you are correct but remember your units.

For 2 you will need another of the kinematic equations which can be found here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Remember what information you're given and what you need, that will help you choose.

For 3.), think of the vecto as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle the components are the lengths of the other two sides in the north and east directions. How would you find the lengths of two sides of a right angled triangle given the hypotenuse and an angle?

Oh ok so for number 3 i would have to use sin 60 = dy/34 and cos 60 = dx/34.

And for 2 I'm not sure what equation to use is the velocity and displacement the right one?

[tex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x[/tex]

Your cos and sin will be the other way round because the angle is measured from the y-axis (north).

Yes you could use the equation you've stated for 2.

What is a midterm study guide?

A midterm study guide is a document that outlines the key topics and concepts that will be covered on a midterm exam. It serves as a helpful tool for students to review and prepare for the exam.

How can a midterm study guide help me?

A midterm study guide can help you by providing a clear overview of the material that will be tested on the exam. It can also help you identify areas where you may need to spend more time studying or reviewing.

Where can I find a midterm study guide?

Midterm study guides are typically provided by the instructor or can be found on the course website or learning management system. You can also create your own study guide by reviewing lecture notes, textbook chapters, and other materials.

Can I rely solely on a midterm study guide to prepare for the exam?

No, a midterm study guide is meant to be a supplement to your studying and should not be the only resource you use to prepare for the exam. It is important to also review lecture notes, complete practice problems, and engage in active studying techniques.

How should I use a midterm study guide?

You can use a midterm study guide by first reviewing the topics and concepts covered on the exam. Then, use the guide to create a study plan and schedule time to review each topic. It can also be helpful to create flashcards, practice problems, or study with a group using the guide as a reference.