Simple Diode Circuit Analysis: Homework Help and Solutions

In summary, The circuit in question involves finding the voltage output (vout) while assuming the diode ON voltage is 0.6V. The initial attempt to solve the problem was to find the current in the circuit, but confusion arose due to the presence of voltage sources after the diodes and an AC voltage source. Further discussion revealed that the diodes will conduct when the voltage at their anodes is 0.6V above the voltage at their cathodes. The DC voltage sources after the cathodes serve to assure that the diodes will only fire when the AC voltage source is 0.6V over or below the voltages of the DC sources. Depending on the input voltage, the diodes will either act as a
jmckennon

Homework Statement

Attached is the homework problem I'm having difficulty with. I need to sketch vout for the circuit, assuming the diode ON voltage is 0.6 V. I'm stuck at how to begin this problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's only the 2nd week of class so I'm not too good with this, and I'm a bit rusty with my circuits as it is. My initial idea was to find the current going in the circuit but I'm just absolutely confused by this question. I don't understand why there are voltage sources after the diodes and what that does to the circuit. I also get confused with how I should find the current with an AC voltage source. Any guidance in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hw1.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org
The diodes will conduct when the voltage at their anodes is 0.6V above the voltage at their cathodes.
While neither diode is conducting, there is no current, so, no voltage drop at the resistor.

Okay, that makes sense. What do the DC voltage sources after the cathodes do to the circuit?

jmckennon said:
Okay, that makes sense. What do the DC voltage sources after the cathodes do to the circuit?
They assure that the diodes will fire only when the AC source voltage is 0.6V over or below the voltages of the DC sources.

Depending on what Vin is, each diode can act like either a 0.6V voltage source or like an open circuit (i=0).

For example, if the left-hand diode is at 0.6V, that would add to the battery there to give Vout=____?

I actually figured out that the circuit was a clipping circuit. The sketch will oscillate between +5.6V and -8.6V. For some reason I wasn't able to recognize the circuit! Thanks for all the help!

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It acts as a one-way valve for electricity, allowing current to flow from the anode (positive side) to the cathode (negative side) but not in the opposite direction.

2. What is a simple diode circuit?

A simple diode circuit is a basic electronic circuit that consists of a power source, a diode, and a load. The diode is connected in series with the load, and its purpose is to regulate the flow of current through the circuit.

3. How does a diode behave in a circuit?

A diode behaves like a switch in a circuit. When the voltage across the diode is positive, it turns on and allows current to flow through the circuit. When the voltage is negative, the diode turns off and blocks current from flowing.

4. How do you analyze a simple diode circuit?

The analysis of a simple diode circuit involves determining the voltage and current at various points in the circuit using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. The diode's characteristic curve, which shows the relationship between voltage and current, is also used to understand its behavior in the circuit.

5. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

The main purpose of a diode in a circuit is to regulate the flow of current. It can be used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) by allowing current to flow in one direction only. It can also be used for voltage regulation, signal rectification, and protection against reverse current flow.