Help with Circuit Nodal Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of performing nodal analysis on a circuit to find voltages. The speaker mentions having trouble with their calculations and receiving different values from the simulation. They explain their approach of combining nodes and solving for specific voltages, and another person points out a mistake in their equation. The speaker agrees and acknowledges the difficulty of nodal analysis, suggesting that using a common base for calculations would be easier.
ethanh100
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary: Perform nodal analysis on a circuit to find voltages.

For a laboratory I am trying to find the nodal voltages for a circuit we built using hand calculations. I have the answer as we ran the simulation which shows all the nodal voltages, however my nodal analysis seems to be wrong as I am getting completely different values. In the circuit I am combining nodes Vout+ and Vout- into one node to make it a bit simpler, so putting RL and R5 together as a 2k ohm, and then I can just do voltage division later to find Vout-. So I am solving for Va, Vb and Vout. Can someone explain to me what i am doing wrong.. Thank you!

1570120393048.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You set it up right, you just made a mistake in your bottom equation. The coefficient of the VA term should be -0.001, and the coefficient of the Vout term should be 0.0025. If you correct those, you get the same answer as in the plot. By the way, it is a lot easier to do the math if you multiply through by 10,000 so all of the coefficients are integers.

Ah okay thank you, I always seem to mess up the signs and algebra in nodal analysis. Youre right it would likely be a lot easier if I just multiplied to a common base. Thank you!

What is circuit nodal analysis?

Circuit nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits by determining node voltages. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write equations for each node in the circuit and then solving those equations to find the unknown node voltages.

Why is circuit nodal analysis important?

Circuit nodal analysis is important because it allows us to determine the voltages at different points in a circuit, which is crucial for understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit. It also helps us to identify any potential problems or malfunctions in the circuit.

What are the steps involved in circuit nodal analysis?

The steps involved in circuit nodal analysis are:

• Identify all the nodes in the circuit
  • Apply Kirchhoff's Current Law to write equations for each node
  • Solve the equations to find the unknown node voltages
  • Check the results for consistency and accuracy

What are the limitations of circuit nodal analysis?

Circuit nodal analysis assumes that the circuit is linear, which means that the components in the circuit obey Ohm's Law. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady state, meaning that the voltages and currents are not changing with time. These assumptions may not hold true in all circuits, which can limit the accuracy of the analysis.

Are there any alternative methods to circuit nodal analysis?

Yes, there are other methods for analyzing circuits, such as mesh analysis and superposition. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of circuits or may provide a quicker solution. However, circuit nodal analysis is still a widely used and effective method for analyzing circuits.